Now that we know the official word...
  • Most of you have heard by now the news from Sony's pre-E3 press conference. For those that didn't the PS3 is scheduled to hit Japan on November 11 and all other major territories on November 17. The system will be in 2 flavors, a 20 GB model ($499 US, $549 CAD, 499 Euro) and a 60 GB ($599 US, $659 CAD, 599 Euro).

The differences other than smaller hard drive? The 20 GB does not have any HDMI port at all, no wi-fi capability and no support for memory sticks, SD or compactflash memory cards. The 60 GB system does have the one HDMI port for hooking up to high-def (which will give the best picture possible for Blu-Ray) and is wi-fi capable- however, both units just have the one ethernet port instead of the promised 3.

Now, I had been looking foward to hearing/seeing what was in store for the PS3- after hearing this news, however, I feel Sony is making a huge mistake doing this. They may find themselves in the same boat as Microsoft did with the 360 launch with the low-end model sitting on shelves collecting dust because people will be wanting the full version. Between that and the asking price Sony may find themselves losing customers in the console area. Right now for me, I'm going to pass and wait on the Wii.

Let's hear what you all have to say.

• Im going to totally agree and say Im going to wait around for Wii, see what it delivers, then consider one of either 360, Ps3 or Wii. By that time the price would have dropped on Ps3 anyhow. I guess I really should have gone for option 3... but I selected 4 because I think its more likely ill end up trying out Wii. :P
  • I'll be getting the full version PS3 but I don't think I'll get it at the time of launch, more than likely wait till Jan or Feb next year.

XBox games are really hard to come buy in Africa where as PS games are not a problem at all, even the latest titles are easy to find. Xbox titles have to be specially ordered which makes them become more expensive to. Basicly this dictates the PS as the weapon of choice.
  • I voted "Going to wait awhile and see what happens" simply because I would like to get the 60GB version but the 20GB is in my price range.

With us needing a new of a new TV in the life span of the PS3 it only makes sense to get the 60GB version but at that price the wife may just blow a gasket. :(

• too damn expensive, gonna have to wait a few years heh
    the 600 $ tag converted to my local currency = shit load of money
  • Definetly waiting as cant afford to get it this side of the wedding.
  • I am waiting, but not because of the price, but rather the games. I don't need a PS3 until DMC4, MGS4, RE5, or a Square Enix, Atlus, or Namco Bandai RPG releases. By that time, I expect the price will be going down at least $100 as the technology is the problem, and it won't take long if there are quite a few adopters.

Also, keep in mind that the Xbox 360 hi-end model, to be able to play next-gen movies like the PS3, people will have to buy the HD-DVD attachmenet which was accidentally listed as $199.99 on the xbox.com site for a short while after announcement. That would bring the pric to $599.98, or $499.98 for the "retard pack" as it has come to be known.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the good games I care about to release.
  • :g: I have been following the news on the PS3 since any news came out on it a year or so ago..... I was ready to pick it up in march like I heard it would come out..... but with the problems it has had in these early days I am glad they changed the release date to correct these problems.

I am a hard core PS fan and my only units I have had are the PS1 and PS2.
    I bought my PS1 when I was in the Phillipinas in 2000 and I got it pretty cheap and I got 30 games with it!!
    To bad for me the games were copys and would not work in my PS2 when I bought it the same year..Duh!

I have checked out the 360 exbox and I really like it but I have waited for my PS3 to show up and go from there. I think PS3 will finally stand up to the 360!

Don't get me wrong.... I really like the 360 but I don't want to stick my cash flow to other gaming units...
    I am a little picky with my game money and I being a married guy.... my wife Isn't into gaming and she just don't understand gaming and buying games for more than one unit......... ya right.......... I will be looking for another wife if I do that!...
    I have heard that the PS3 games are going to be priced ten dollars more then the PS2, okey I have to say
    they are going to be a better game for the money!

HiDeF< hummmmmmmmmmmm yea I think I can go along with that! Gaming online??? I havn't done that yet but maybe some day.... You got to remember I am a old fart that is maybe times 2 your age and I am not that fast gaming...........

I will be first in line for the launch day of the PS3, and the 60 gigabeyte.......... I didn't think I would cough up $600 bills but I won't wait for the price to come down months later.......... :devilish:

Worfsonofmog

• I'm certainly going to be waiting for a while - for the price to go down to begin with, but also to gauge reactions of the new console, and see what games are available etc... When it does come to buying one, it'll be the 60GB for sure.
  • i voted sticking with 360 im not really into the ps3 i might buy it in a while but i like 360 more :w00t2: :w00t2:
  • QUOTE(madhtr @ May 12 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]62888[/snapback]

I am waiting, but not because of the price, but rather the games. I don't need a PS3 until DMC4, MGS4, RE5, or a Square Enix, Atlus, or Namco Bandai RPG releases. By that time, I expect the price will be going down at least $100 as the technology is the problem, and it won't take long if there are quite a few adopters.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the good games I care about to release.
    [/b]

[i]As madhtr said, I also would prefer to wait until games begin to be released. Seen how good Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots, it just makes want to buy it without even owning a Playstation 3. I know that the 60 GB one would be the best buy, but... 600
  • Man i cant afford that much
    My dad says he will get me whichever i want if i get 90%^ in my board exams which in the are the coming MArch
    Neways i m gonna w8.
    Wii's prob. with me is that in my country nintendo GAMECUBE NEVER even APPEARED FOrget abt the games
  • i get the 60 gig at launch im addicted to this damn thing unless there is nothing good out at the time. I need a good rpg and ill be hooked.