New Gaming Addiction Clinics
  • We most likely have all seen the recent bombardment of news regarding the gaming addiction clinics that seem to be popping up over the place. The question is do you think this is realistic? Can you become addicted to games like you can become addicted to drugs or coffee?

Also, would you say that you have ever been addicted to games at a certain point?

Personally, I think - yeah - it is possible to become addicted to games just like anything else, maybe even more so than other things. Modern gaming can be highly realistic and immersive, such as WoW, I have several friends that sit there for hours on end playing the game and become depressed, angry and evoke real emotions from their game and how their character is effected, be it in a negitive or positive way. Therefore the clinics are realistic.

Secondly, no, I dont think I have ever been addicted to video games, I have had long spurts of game playing however I have eventually torn myself away without a great deal of help from others. However there was one instance as a child, about 12 or 13 when I was at the arcade with my dad and started playing "Soul Calibur" I had been playing for about 20 minutes when I was told I had to go. I refused and after about another 15 minutes I had to be torn away by my father from the game mid fight. So I would say I may have had mild video game addiction from time to time, nothing serious however.
  • Clinics for people addicted to video games sounds like the brainchild of parents who can't control their children. "Oh, my child won't do their homework because they are addicted to video games." Give me a break. Adults, on the other hand, should be responsible enough to put the game down and take care of business when the times comes. I imagine, like anything else, there are some people who don't have enough self control to stop doing certain things. So, these clinics may help someone. I'll bet they started in California! :wacko:

Is there a physiological addiction that needs to be treated like alcoholism or drug addiction? I doubt it. Is there a psychological addiction? Yes, I can see that being a problem for some people.

Personally, I don't think I've ever been "addicted" to video games to the point where it caused problems in my everyday life. I have let mowing the lawn go for an extra day because I was really involved with a game I was playing but that doesn't happen every day. I have been playing video games for close to 30 years but I think it is a hobby or interest more than it could ever be called an addiction.
  • Wow, heavy topic.
    Let's see, is it realistic to think that some people can become addicted to video games to the point of needing professional help? Absolutely. There are so many online massive-multiplayer "real time" games out there, it's easy to see the addictive personality types getting hooked on those, to the point of neglecting all else. I don't see this so much as a matter of parents who can't control their children, though I see that as a tiny part of it, but I see it more as a matter of wives who have "lost" their husbands/boyfriends/significant others to the wild wild world of "No, I can't log out now, I'm right in the middle of a raid!", "If I camp here I'll get attacked by mobs, it's not a safe spot to camp", "Let me just run to the guild house where it's safe" "Let me just get into trader-mode first"... the excuses go on and on...
    Oh yes, very very realistic indeed!! Some just use this form of addiction in place of another.

Have I ever found myself in the same situation? Aye, sorry to say I have. Not to the point of needing professional help, but I've "made" dinner half an hour late more than a couple of times. It's at those points that I simply have to tell myself to NOT log on in the first place, unless I know that I can *have* the time to spend there without neglecting anything else.
  • This is precisely why I'm glad my boyfriend doesn't have a fascination for videogames. I second speedie's claim on the fact that it's not parents whom can't control their kids per se, it's really just a thing where girls lose their significant others to games.

My best friend's boyfriend is really into World of Warcraft, Baulder's Gate, Morrowind, The GodFather...the list could go on and on. And he has constantly placed her in the backseat to videogames which is something I think is just sad. So yes, I find it VERY realistic that videogame addiction clinics exist.

Have I ever been addicted to a game? Not really. Videogames are fairly interesting to me, but I have not ever crossed the line to where it became unhealthy. I usually have no problem with turning off the game and doing other things. My videogames have more taken a backseat to my life than the other way around. Yes, there have been games I have played and have had as the only thing on my mind while in school, but those days have come and passed. ^_^
  • It's safe to say that at one point I was addicted to video games- it was pretty much my main conversation topic, reading material, activity away from school, etc. Eventually, however, not having the time for it due to work and other commitments have made me more of a casual gamer- getting a bit of gaming in but not going at it so heavy as to throw off other aspects of my unreasonable fascimile of a life. :laugh:

Hearing some of the stories of people passing out/ dying from having extended sessions of games like World Of Warcraft (it's happened a few times in China) makes me not surprised at all that someone thought to start a video gaming addiction clinic. Just about anything can be addictive, whether its gaming, food/drug, collecting things like Beanie Babies, the list goes on- depends on the person.

• "Play the game, don't let the game play you." That is my philosophy on gaming. All these video game addicts have had the game play them. I don't find it hard to believe that clinics are opening up for video game addicts. It was just a matter of time. With some it spirals down so far that suicide seems to be the only way out.

Am I or have I ever been addicted? Like Charger said I have let the chores go a little later but I have never been to the point were I was addicted.

• Gaming addictive ? I know they are for me. I've once or twice got a new game and called in to the office.....

*cough, wheez* I'm not *cough* feeling well *cough, clears throat*, won't come in today*cough* (Black was one of those games) I could never see this getting bad enough to require therapy but I guess having done the cry wolf to play a game routine it show's I've got pretty addicted.

Being a bit of a geeza I can control it tho, I knew I wasn't busy and didn't have any deadlines on those days I took off. I wouldn't do it if I had to do something for my kids...... Priorities first but I can see how it could consume someone especially someone younger could easily get very addicted to a game they totally enjoy. Still wouldn't think about therapy tho...... isn't that just an American thing ??

I also guess some people fear the saying "Playstation - when your partner bores you" :devilish:
  • QUOTE(Rex77 @ Jun 12 2006, 01:30 AM) [snapback]65596[/snapback]

"Play the game, don't let the game play you." That is my philosophy on gaming. All these video game addicts have had the game play them. I don't find it hard to believe that clinics are opening up for video game addicts. It was just a matter of time. With some it spirals down so far that suicide seems to be the only way out.
    [/b]

Good quote Rex and I guess it could be adapted to many pursuits or interests. Not sure about gaming addiction ending up in suicides though. Tend to think there would be deeper issues other than gaming for a suicide to occur. Gaming may be used as means of escapism for a person to avoid thier inner "demons".

Not sure about clinics for purely addicted gamers. Sounds like another phsyc niche money making scheme but it sounds a hell of alot more viable than a clinic for "addicted" mobile SMS text message, users. Yes I kid you not. Don't know if it's up and running but there was plenty of interest.

Personally I don't think I'm an addict (all addicts say that :D ) as I get bored if I spend to much time doing the same thing. I do however have times where playing games chews into time that should be used doing other things ie, sleeping etc... The PC game Oblivion :notworthy: for arguements sake. It's the best game I have ever played. So far I have spent over 108 hrs on the game just exploring and on occasions completing some of the main quest but I haven't played this game for a week now as the "honeymoon" period has ran out, I'm bored with the game at the moment and will come back to it another time.
  • QUOTE(Digger065 @ Jun 13 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]65688[/snapback]

Tend to think there would be deeper issues other than gaming for a suicide to occur. Gaming may be used as means of escapism for a person to avoid thier inner "demons".

[/b]

Aye, and one of those other deeper issues would be addictive personalities and those people who manifest addictive behaviours. (one and the same?)

Couldn't mention this before since he was sitting right here beside me when I first replied, but Hubby is one of those. He quit drinking over 6 years ago, and so his "outlet" had become online gaming. At one point, to the ugliest extreme, inlcluding missing days and days upon days of work just to stay home to play. Yes, his issues run deep, but we're working on that properly now, thank GOD!!

So, I believe Lethal hit the proverbial nail on the head with this topic. The addiction is *real*, and the need for professional counseling is very realistic indeed!!! There are obviously much deeper issues that need to be addressed in these people, and the gaming obsessively is just a symptom of the larger disease.
  • QUOTE(Speediebean @ Jun 13 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]65691[/snapback]

Aye, and one of those other deeper issues would be addictive personalities and those people who manifest addictive behaviours. (one and the same?)

Couldn't mention this before since he was sitting right here beside me when I first replied, but Hubby is one of those. He quit drinking over 6 years ago, and so his "outlet" had become online gaming. At one point, to the ugliest extreme, inlcluding missing days and days upon days of work just to stay home to play. Yes, his issues run deep, but we're working on that properly now, thank GOD!!

So, I believe Lethal hit the proverbial nail on the head with this topic. The addiction is *real*, and the need for professional counseling is very realistic indeed!!! There are obviously much deeper issues that need to be addressed in these people, and the gaming obsessively is just a symptom of the larger disease.
    [/b]

Wow Speedie, good to hear the issues are being addressed. Really hope things balance out.