Classic Gaming?
  • I was kinda curious if any of the members were still playing on the older systems (by older I mean pre-PlayStation). This was prompted by the arrival of an item I had bought on eBay- a TurboGrafx 16 game system (known in some parts as the PC Engine) with 3 controllers, the TurboTap (allows up to 5 controllers), the TurboBooster (stereo adaptor, allowed hookup via the red/white/yellow jacks to run sound through the stereo and forego using the RF adaptor), all the hookups and 5 games (all of which ran me about $55 Canadian and was a bargain compared to the other deals). Hooked up tonight for a test run and everything works great! :clap:

Anyhoo, if you are doing some retro gaming let's hear what system(s) and games are current faves. The games that came with the TG-16 were Falcon (a jet fighter game), Super Adventure Island, Dungeon Explorer, Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (this was the pack-in game with the system when launched) and TV Sports Hockey. I played a bit of Super Adventure Island to check things out, it's a decent (for the time) side scrolling platformer. The game I really want for this system, however, is Devil's Crush, a pinball game that uses some satanic-style themes (pentagrams, druids, etc.). The main board goes 3 screens high and has minigames included- this one was very addictive to me! :wub:
  • Classic Gaming? Do I classic game?! OF COURSE! :D

The best games come from the smaller bit capabilities. That was back when they had bad graphics and needed good stories to compensate for it. I'm currently dusting off the old SNES to play me some Final Fantasy III/VI.

I've also played an old computer game called Commander Keen. Anyone remember him? I was so far on that game and then the computer crashed and I lost that software.

As for anything older than Nintendo..I can't really say. I've touched the sacred controllers of the Atari, but I can't remember most the games I played on there. One of them was Pong. I know that. :g:

• Of course I do, I just recently tangled with Super Mario 64 on my 64, Super Mario World on my SNES, and Metal Gear on my NES. I'll never get rid of my old systems and games, I'm still working on my 5 year plan of owning every mainline console and favorite games for each. Oh, forgot been playing some River City Ransom as well.
  • The games yest but I swapped my PS1 with my my mate for his high power air (lead pellet) rifle........
  • Aaaaahhhh, the good old days of Sega Genesis and Toejam and Earl!!! "What's this button do?" That used to be all I played until we gave the system away with all the games (to a co-worker who had 45 brazillon kids and not a lot of income), but I've since found a download of the game online and have been playing it on the pc. Does that count?
  • Anyone remember Intelevision ? Had that console yonks ago but it kinda died yonks ago to.
  • QUOTE(Shagger @ Jun 11 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]65590[/snapback]
    Anyone remember Intelevision ? Had that console yonks ago but it kinda died yonks ago to. [/b]
    I would love to have my old Intellivision back! I am not really into classic gaming, not because I don't enjoy it I just don't have a older console.
  • Never had one of the old consoles but I used to have a Commodore 64 and an Amiga 2000. Remember playing classics like Ghosts and Goblins, Paperboy and the Last ninja on the C64. Anyone ever remember a text adventure game called Bastow Manor on the C64 :g:
  • QUOTE(lyndon @ Jun 9 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]65454[/snapback]

The game I really want for this system, however, is Devil's Crush, a pinball game that uses some satanic-style themes (pentagrams, druids, etc.). The main board goes 3 screens high and has minigames included- this one was very addictive to me! :wub:
    [/b]

DUDE!!!!!! I sold that very game just before Christmas for the PC Engine! but was called Devil's Crash over here :crybaby: The music from the game is wicked! got some on my mobile phone as alarm bells

Still goes for quite a bit of money on E-bay. I've got the Megadrive/Genesis version but not as good as the PC-E The very last boss, she was a total B!tch to complete
  • QUOTE(Tiff @ Jun 13 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]65697[/snapback]

DUDE!!!!!! I sold that very game just before Christmas for the PC Engine! but was called Devil's Crash over here :crybaby: The music from the game is wicked! got some on my mobile phone as alarm bells

Still goes for quite a bit of money on E-bay. I've got the Megadrive/Genesis version but not as good as the PC-E The very last boss, she was a total B!tch to complete [/b]

I was in a bit of luck here- soon after starting this thread i found one on eBay being sold in Canada and wound up the top bidder. :clap: I'll be reliving the memories in a couple of weeks. :wub:
  • Made another addition to the retro gaming today thanks to the local flea market- found a Super Nintendo system in just about perfect condition. Now to start scouring eBay for some of the games I want for it! ^_^
  • Might I recommend Battle Toads lyndon?? :D
  • We still have a Sega Genesis and NES. I had a box crammed full of Atari cartridges and a pretty fair collection of Intellivision stuff and Coleco Vision as well (had to have the Zaxxon game). Just like Speedie, I knew some folks who had interest in the games and not much money and gave it all to them. Little did I realize that some of it would actually be worth something one day. No biggie though. The only old games I really pay any attention to are Civilization II and Panzer Front for PS 1. The most played top 3 games for the Genesis are Master of Monsters, NHL Hockey and Road Rash.

The interesting thing about the Turbographix system, if memory serves, was that it was the first system to come out with a CD format. Years before the Sega one.
  • How's this for classic gaming...

I still have my TI99-4a computer with (are ready for this) tape/cassette drive. With it I have two games - Alpiner and the text based Adventure module which could be used on several adventures, depending on what cassette you had. The one I had was Pirate Adventure (pieces of eight) and I had hours and hours of joy from it. You could also program in Basic your own simple games like snake. I still have this in the original box with all manuals and the original TI cassette player in it's own box too. :D

Of course, I still have my Atari and about a dozen games with it, but I thought the fact that the TI99-4a was tape drive would classify it as serious classic gaming. I still remember the screeching and beeping when that thing would load! :blink:

• Not spamming folks, I promise. I figured this would be the best thread to update my 5 year goal. For classic and recent systems I now have :

Atari 2600
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    GameCube
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast
    PS
    PS One
    PS2
    X-Box

Have games for all, just not all games for all.
  • You can always get the arcade classics for the new systems. I know of two for sure for the PS 2 , one of which is all Intellivision games and the other all of the Activision games for the Atari 2600 (whew, hi-res!). I don't know about elsewhere in the world but last christmas we had an Atatri 2600 deck available in the stores which didn't have cartridges but came with a batch of games chipped in.