Playstation 3 Console
  • PlayStation 3 Console

We would love to hear your comments on the PlayStation 3 (PS3) console, both good and bad.

Please note that this is a public access area and so both members and non-members can leave comments, however they will not appear until they have been checked by a member of the MOD-SQUAD.
  • :clap:
    FINALLY, details of the price of the PS3 in the UK. The price is pretty good in comparison terms to US Dollars and Euros.
    I am definitely going to be getting the 60GB version though. Afterall, for only an extra er
  • cant wait ...gonna buy two so i dont have to bring it room to room!..lol

• cant wait ...gonna buy two so i dont have to bring it room to room!..lol

Hmmmmmm :g: Sounds to me like *someone* may have a little cash to spare to get us aaalllll
    our PS3! :clap: You'll only need to get us just one each Chris, if we want a second one we'll work on that ourselves. :D
  • My man played it for a while at E3 - I was excited for him! However, when I asked him for details he said it was no different to the PS2 and the games so far are not next-gen. In fact, nobody is actually sure what next-gen actually means at the moment, so there won't be any truly games of that ilk for a while yet.

On an side note, he had a very interesting meeting with Sony yesterday. Obviously I can't divulge any details but suffice it to say that within a year or two of the PS3 being released, we'll see several major games developers and publishers going out of business.

Basically, Sony is setting dev budgets - on average this will be
  • With series like FIFA, GT, GTA, Tony Hawks, DMC, MGS & Resident Evil, there not winning over gamers with "new" inovations, same game rehashed, repacked & sold to gamers who think that it's best thing since the Sinclair C5!

BTW new Tony Hawks on PS3 has been totaly re-wrote, new game engine, AI, Ragdoll, etc.... GTA back in London? MGS4 - Snake dies!!

I'll be saving my pennies for a late summer 2007 purchase, that's after the developed titles that have been showcased have been released and the BlueRay format has been supported for major DVD film & game releases as quite a few of major companies have already pulled the plug on releasing UMD movies on the PSP
  • Has anyone else heard of the PS3s UK 'rumors'?

Apparently, the UK is only getting the 60GB version at launch. Also, even though the console itself will cost about
  • Thanks for the info Jay - very interesting, whilst I appreciate it's only a rumour, having to fork out
  • [quote] Thanks for the info Jay - very interesting, whilst I appreciate it's only a rumour, having to fork out
  • why the is ps3 price so high compared to the 360 ?
  • Most of that price is due to Sony using the new Blu-Ray disc for the games- it's a whole new format, different from the DVDs we use now. Sony's using it as a cheap way to get Blu-Ray players in the home and have its format be the winner versus HD-DVD in the upcoming disc war.

Yes, i did say cheap- the standalone Blu-Ray player out soon costs twice as much as the PS3. :o
  • hi i just wanna know how much is the uk version compared to the united states version and is it PAL or NTSC because if i order the uk version online i wann know will i still be able to play them on my console

thank you
  • is it possible to get the one that was showed at the E3 th chrome with the boomerang controller online if so can some one help find a site to buy from .
    hit me back here at [email]qmack26@cox.net[/email]

thank you
  • QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 19 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]67040[/snapback]
    hi i just wanna know how much is the uk version compared to the united states version and is it PAL or NTSC because if i order the uk version online i wann know will i still be able to play them on my console

thank you [/b]

The price for the PS3 in the UK will be GBP 425- at current rates this translates to $725 US. If you're in the States, Guest, you'd be better off buying the official US release system. As to region coding, there has been stories floating around since last november that PS3 games would possibly not be region coded. This would most likely be for games only and not movies, just like the UMD games for the PSP are not coded but the movie discs are.

Originally posted by 'qmack26'
    is it possible to get the one that was showed at the E3 th chrome with the boomerang controller online if so can some one help find a site to buy from .

The silver color is only to be available in Japan at first, i believe- the UK and North America will only get the black. That boomerang controller was just a prototype, btw- it's officially gone. The actual controller is much more similar in shape to the PS2 controller we know and love. Not many sites taking preorders yet as most are waiting to hear just how many they can expect to get at launch. Considering how the 360 launch went i don't blame them for being a bit more cautious.
  • QUOTE(lyndon @ Jul 19 2006, 09:45 PM) [snapback]67050[/snapback]
    The silver color is only to be available in Japan at first, i believe- the UK and North America will only get the black. That boomerang controller was just a prototype, btw- it's officially gone. The actual controller is much more similar in shape to the PS2 controller we know and love. Not many sites taking preorders yet as most are waiting to hear just how many they can expect to get at launch. Considering how the 360 launch went i don't blame them for being a bit more cautious.[/b]
    I think I heard or saw somewhere that, in the Uk at least, we WILL get the other colours, White and Silver, but sometime next year. Like you said Lyndon, we'll only get Black at first.

As for the controller, Lyndon is correct, as usual, the controller WILL be a Dual-Shock shaped controller, just without the Dual-Shock. Is gonna be a Motion-Sensor controller instead, similar to Wii-mote, just not as sensitive as the Wii-mote.
    Also, the controller will be wireless. It WILL, however, have a small USB connection, like the connection on the PSP, allowing you to connect it to the PS3 console. This is the way that Mobile Phone (Cellphone) style Lithium battery will be recharged. You will, however, STILL be able to play your games while the controller is being recharged, just you will be playing with a Wired controller instead.

And as for Pre-Orders, some shops have been taking Pre-Orders for a few months now, well in the UK anyway, but I haven't seen a SINGLE site yet that has started taking pre-orders. All of them just let you register your interest and then they say they'll send out emails when new news is released and when they are starting taking pre-orders.

Hope that helps a little. :)
  • i cant wait for the ps3 to come out but what is the reason to have two different memory capasitiesin the ps3?
    i ould also like to know if the ps3 has better grafics than the xbx360
  • i would like to know there are 2 different memory capasities
  • I'm guessing by "memory capacities" you both are talking about the hard drive sizes, 20 GB and 60 GB. Good question considering Sony spent time dissing Microsoft for putting out 2 different versions of the XBox 360 and then do the same thing themselves. (Not very bright of you Sony :blush: ).

Far as i can tell the cheaper unit will be geared more toward those who mainly want to game on the system, using the hard drive for saves and downloads from Sony's online service for some games. The 60 GB will be better suited for those who will be downloading video and music as well (you know how fast video can fill a hard drive). No official reason was ever given.

The system has the possibility for being superior to XBox 360 in the graphics department with graphic chips provided by NVidia and a total of 512 MB of memory. Whether this is utilized is up to the game developers. We should be able to get some actual looks at games in action during the Game Conference in Leipzig, Germany in August and the Tokyo Game Show in September.

Hope this helps you out a bit, guys- feel free to sign up using the link near the top of the page. It's completely free and we'd love to see you both around. ;)

• I concur with Lyndon.

Officially the 20GB version is a cutdown version of the 60GB in the sense that it doesn't have the different media card slots (e.g. Compact Flash II, SD etc...) I believe it also doesn't have Wi-Fi on the 20GB so you wouldn't be able to use your PSP as a controller and you won't be able to connect to internet via Wireless either.
    Er there are a few other differences but I can't think of them right now.

Basically the 20GB is games machine with Blu-Ray player combined, whereas the 60GB version is, apparently being touted as, a PC/Entertainment system that's not JUST for games players.

I hope that helps...

• I will definately be getting a PS3 and it will be the $600 model. As I've posted before I will wait for at least 6 months. I want it to be bug-free, have a library of titles, and be available. Price is not an issue even though I am far from wealthy. The simple fact that it is backwards compatable makes my previous investment in PS and PS2 titles worthwhile. I'm not really amped about the tilt-function on the new controller due to the fact that it means the sacrifice of rumble, but I'm willing to bet I can learn to live with it. Perhaps some third party will rectify that situation. I do hope that the "NEW" online will live up to the hype. I think the first game that I get for it will be Resistance, the buzz on this title is just too good to be ignored. 40 player online frag-fests will keep me entertained for quite some time.

In short, I will have a PS3 before a 360 ( unless I find one on E-Bay for a price I'm willing to pay ). I will stay true to, and still put my faith in Sony for now. Look at it this way, if not for Sony, I'd have never found this site and the friends I've made here.
  • QUOTE(jdm1108 @ Jul 31 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]67471[/snapback]

I will definately be getting a PS3 and it will be the $600 model.[/b]

Got mine paid for already :harhar:

Unless of course they DO release the Value Pack thing where you HAVE to buy the console with an extra controller and two packaged games which you CANNOT choose. In that case I would need to fork out about another
  • :( i will never be able to buy this
  • Of course you will.

Just maybe you'll have to wait about two or three years until the price is a more reasonable
  • hello. :) when's ut out
  • Haven't kept up with PS3 news, Adam? :blush: It makes its launch worldwide on November 17. Details can be found here.
  • QUOTE(Guest_adam_* @ Aug 6 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]67679[/snapback]
    hello. :) when's ut out [/b]

Like Lyndon said, you really should keep up to date with these things. It's good that there are people like Lyndon to help people out with info. on this TOP games console :clap:

• Too expensive????

How can i get it..... I
  • Compared to what we've been used to with previous console launches it is very pricey- that's part of the problem with new tech (the Blu-Ray drive). All i can suggest is start saving up now or luck out and win one in a contest (which i'm sure there will be several of to help push the thing).
  • Why Sony? Why? :censored:

• We're not exactly going to have them overflowing on the shelves here, Jay- the inital allotment has been cut in half to about 400,000. That's spread about as thin as the XBox 360 was on its launch last year (if not more). Going to be a lot of disappointed gamers for a bit. This could well be the break Nintendo needs to help push the Wii as an alternative.
  • However, as I've also said, don't get me wrong, I'm still going to get a PS3. Afterall, I HAVE paid for one already!!!!!

• dear sony,

I am your number one fan!!! I buy sony products, from tv's to vcr's. I have the psx, ps2, and will buy the ps3, but my freinds and I feel that the price is a little too high.

• Its a shame that the machine will be out of most peoples budget.

If there is a 20 dollar a month payment plan, I would consider that.

Now, this question:

Why in the h#ll did sony put it in a baby pink color? I can't see it selling in baby pink. I think in neon colors would have been a better choice.

Black or silver would be okay. I am not buying that in baby pink. No, no, no.
  • Too expensive I have bills to pay and $600 for a game system is out of the question $400 would have been nice for the ps3 I think the only reason its high is because of blue ray and I really like it but that price keeps me looking at an xbox 360 its cheaper but in the long run I know the ps3 will be better thas why im gonna have to just put a little money aside to get one im going to buy one one of these days not soon for sure
  • a big let down!! nothin works my dvd's or old ps2 games!!
    i spent 700 euro on this!
    i can't even go online. it should just be stick the cable in and it goes online..
    No hassle!
  • bpswan - you say you spent 700 euro on this? then it has to be an import PS3 and it will not play PAL (European spec) PS2 games or dvds.
    It will play PS3 games when they become available and since the machine is foreign to your region you should expect to have difficulty getting online as you have to connect to servers in the region the machine was designed for (either US or Japan).

These 2 reasons are why Sony blocked companies making direct imports of PS3 models.
    if you wanted a BD player as well as a games console I am afraid that you have wasted your money importing a PS3. :huh:
  • If he has an HDTV, who cares about what region the PS3 comes from...the games are region free...the only issue are his old PS2 games that probably won't run...
  • The PS3 is excellent so far. Things needing patched: The browser being a jerky joke. The Desktop area not supporting a clock, or even some of the features the PSP does, such as 'Theme'. More things available through the Shop.

But at the price, the PS3 is a steal!
  • I am more swayed towards Sony and waited until May time to pick up a Playstation 3 fair enough there arent alot of games out for it but we seem to have a fair few decent titles coming out soon plus Home which i am looking forward to
  • I waited for a little price decrease before I got one. Finally.....the 40 gig version came out. Sure it doesnt have the media card readers (who cares, theres other methods), went from 4 usb ports in the front down to 2 (i'll probably never have more than 2 playing at once anyways), lost backwards compatibility (whats the purpose of buying a ps3 if you are gonna play ps2 games on it?) and its a 40 gig (can upgrade that for nothing). I think $399.99 was still a tad steep but worth it compaired to the other versions. Just my 2 cents on this version. I love it.
  • Just purchased one of the few 60Gb units left in the UK, primarily for PS2 compatibility over the 40Gb version. Was a choice between £299 for a 40Gb with one game or £350 for one with two games.

The last poster said "whats the purpose of buying a ps3 if you are gonna play ps2 games on it"?

Well the PS2 doesn't last forever, the lasers are rubbish, and ours is just about giving up the ghost after just two years. So instead of spending £100 on the old generation, we spent a bit more, can play most of our PS2 libray, play some excellent PS3 games and get a Blu-Ray player too. All of which adds up to great value compared to individual units. PS2 games can also be purchased for peanuts compared to everything full price on PS3.

The big swinger for us was the new Ratchet and Clank game, we love the series at home, have completed them all (something it is difficult to say about most other games, where the motivation to try and complete them runs out very quickly) and are very impressed by what we have seen so far in online reviews and the like.

Only got the unit yesterday so no chance for actual useability feedback yet, but will post back again once we have given it a good run at Christmas.
  • I purchased the PS3 (80gb) last Monday, and I am extremely pleased and impressed. I can't believe I waited so long to get one...but I have been happily playing the ol' PS2 up until then. (Still am actually, I am also in the middle of GUN).

I am still learning new features of the console, but overall, I am not disappointed in the least. It would be nice, however, if they made it a little more "price friendly" as it is still quite expensive and out of reach for many.

But for those who are fortunate enough to own one of these consoles, what a treat indeed!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion