Yet More Terrorist Plots
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

This time, thank god its been foiled - but if they knew since 9/11 that exlosives etc can be taken onto planes along with knives etc why didnt they just ban hand luggage in the first place?

Will we soon not be allowed to take rucksacks on trains and buses?
  • Yeah, watched it on Sky News this morning. 21 PEOPLE?! It IS kinda scary ain't it?
    Good job they caught them. Bet media don't go on about "...this is the street *insert persons name here* lived on..." like they did with the Train bombings. The worlds media got such a bad view of Leeds. We're not ALL like that. Leeds is a wonderful area to live in. Well Yorkshire in general is a wonderful place to live. You WON'T find kinder and friendlier people ANYWHERE.

Anyway, let's hope nothing like this happens again. Tighter security at airports? I think it's DEFINITELY needed.

• Meant to be going away on holiday next Wednesday - wonder whether hand luggage's will be allowed then!

One thing that really p***ed me off, Mothers aren't allowed baby milk onto the plane unless they taste it themselves - and one women was moaning her ass off saying it's crazy, etc... but I don't see the problem, I think it's good they're taking every precaution at the moment. Better for them to ban hand luggage than NINE airplanes be blown up in mid-air...

Hope the bastards planning this are hung. :censored:
  • I read about this last night and I can't really say I'm pissed about it, I'm glad it was foiled. 9/11 was enough of a traumatic event here in the US and we don't need another attack. :boxing:
  • I am of the mind that due to current world relations, we are not even close to seeing the end or even a decline in "terror" attacks. The "hornets nest" that is the Middle East has been whiped into a frenzy.
  • A girl i work with was due to fly to ibiza tonight with her family and the airline have rang her and told her not to expect to fly tonight as they still dealing with a massive backlog. And her sister is stranded over in Kos due to the same problem.

Ive always wondered why this wasnt done after 9/11??
  • QUOTE(oddish182000 @ Aug 10 2006, 01:35 AM) [snapback]67777[/snapback]
    Will we soon not be allowed to take rucksacks on trains and buses?[/b]

Well, thanks to that idiot shoe bomber, I know you cannot take lighters onto planes anymore. Security tried to confiscate my Charger Zippo last time I flew. :angry: Luckily I had time to return it to my truck before my flight. It's just a matter of time before you cannot take anything onto planes. Public transportation might be next.

I agree with Mr. E that it is unlikely we'll be seeing an end to terror attacks anytime soon. Terrorism, in one form or another, has been around for centuries and with the devastating effect 9-11 had on the US, I believe generations of "terrorists" will be inspired to continue plotting elaborate attacks. Let's just hope we can stay vigilant and continue to thwart them before they cause any serious harm or loss of life.
  • It was just a matter of time before another large scale attempt such as this was tried. Even though they were caught (24 people involved were arrested) they do get a small measure of success from the paranoia caused by this and disrupting the normal flow.

While I do somewhat agree with Dan as to what to do with them doing that would only make them "martyrs to the cause" and strengthen the resolve of the terrorist groups. Here's hoping to nice, long prison terms (and maybe meeting up with Bubba in block D- he's been looking for a new girlfriend ;) ).

BTW, I'd say charger's sig sums it up best in regards to this sort of thing.

• QUOTE(lyndon @ Aug 10 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]67801[/snapback]

BTW, I'd say charger's sig sums it up best in regards to this sort of thing.
    [quote]
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
    [/b]

[/b][/quote]

The evil being the western worlds oppression of the rest of the world and the good men being the Jihad warriors sacrificing their very own lifes in the struggle to defeat the great evil, I presume...
  • I believe your post there manneman..while it may be true and correct was not exactly what lyndon might have meant. Then again, I could be wrong.

I really do wanna see an end to this war soon. I know it's going to get worse before it gets better..but I'm hopeful.
    -_-
  • Definitely not quite what i was thinking of there. Still, maybe if the US didn't stick their noses into other countries' business all the time because they think there's something worth having there these attempts wouldn't be happening as often.
  • QUOTE(lyndon @ Aug 11 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]67813[/snapback]
    Definitely not quite what i was thinking of there. Still, maybe if the US didn't stick their noses into other countries' business all the time because they think there's something worth having there these attempts wouldn't be happening as often. [/b]

That's pretty true. There are times when 'The Western World' SHOULD interfere, BUT there are ways of doing it. Unfortunately, they haven't gone about it 'properly' much at all.
    One things for sure, Blair and Bush (or should that be Bush and Blair as our PM seems to be a PA to Georgie) will claim that they had something to do with it and will try to make themselves out to be the saviours of the world or something. Maybe, just maybe, if Blair would stand up to Bush once in a while then the world 'wouldn't be going to pot' like it is right now.
    Anyway, one thing we can all, probably, agree on is how well our Intelligence Agencies must've reacted to be able to thwart what, let's face it, would've been one of the, if not the, worst Terrorist Attacks EVER. I read that the Death Toll could've been anything up to about 4000. Doesn't seem a HUGE number in itself, but comparing that to the death toll of 9/11? Well it's an astronomical figure. 10 planes? 10 minutes? 4000 deaths? That would've been Horrific. Let's hope the combined forces of ALL the 'Western Worlds' intelligence agencies can keep preventing these kind of plans and then maybe, just maybe, people will start to think twice about trying such things and we can eventually get to a point where we don't fear something like that could happen at ANY moment.
  • I get tired of people bashing the US and blaming Bush for all the world's problems.

Jihad has been around for a millennium and religious fanaticism for longer than that.
  • At the end of the day all the :pooh: going on in the world boils down to religion
  • Not true Oddy. It boils down to ignorance. Ignorance breeds fear, fear begets hate, hate generates violence.
  • QUOTE(oddish182000 @ Aug 11 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]67824[/snapback]

At the end of the day all the :pooh: going on in the world boils down to religion
    [/b]

I agree with you to a certain extent cause Ireland is a good example of that, but I also agree with Mr. E in that ignorance plays a major part.

• QUOTE(oddish182000 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]67798[/snapback]

A girl i work with was due to fly to ibiza tonight with her family and the airline have rang her and told her not to expect to fly tonight as they still dealing with a massive backlog. And her sister is stranded over in Kos due to the same problem.
    Ive always wondered why this wasnt done after 9/11??
    [/b]

Are you kidding? The USA certainly put a hold on flights after 9/11!! -_- My dad was expected to go on a Business Venture in Utah a few days after 9/11 and got delayed for a few weeks. Sure, it wasn't to the point where people wouldn't be expected to fly at all...but they did put delays on flights. That much is for sure. <_< <br />
    Also another thing, I'm not exactly sure who said it, but how exactly are we supposed to punish people whom would be willing to go on a one way/suicide mission to blow up people? Think about it. If they're willing to strap bombs to themselves they don't care for death...so what are we supposed to do to them? Give them a slap in the face? :wacko:
  • I don't have an overly altruistic view of the middle east in general. I don't think it was an overly smart thing to re-create the state of Israel after the second world war. It's the equivilent to not just stirring up a hornets nest but belting the nest with baseball bats. Having said that, Israel is not going to go away and it's neigbours need to understand that. The problem is, I don't believe Israel's Islamic neighbours will ever accept Israel's "right" to exist.
    Ignorance with a strong splash of religous zeal is a dangerous combination. I can't see any end to escalating tensions in the mid east and associated terrorist threats in the near or distant future. Jihad (holy war) is a contradiction as there is nothing holy, religious or pure about the taking of life. :blink:

• QUOTE(Digger @ Aug 17 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]67969[/snapback]
    Jihad (holy war) is a contradiction as there is nothing holy, religious or pure about the taking of life. :blink: [/b]

It's all a real shame really :(