How do you get someone off the computer?
  • How do you get someone off the computer? My brother is on the computer for like nine hours and still refuses to get off. I tried everything that is legal to get him off. I need HELP!
  • He's not one of the more addicted World Of Warcraft players is he, being on there all that time? :eek:

If he won't listen to you and there's no one else to kick his butt out of there the only thing left to do would be to pull the plug on him (but that could lead to a proper fight, I'm guessing).
  • Bribary doesn't work I'd probably pull the plug.

But then if you do that that doesn't stop anyone from pulling the plug on you once you're on.

Maybe you could bribe him with cookies?:)
  • Just stand right next to him and start screaming in a high pitch voice. Continue this until he gets off the computer. Its a bit childish, but it will work.
  • Geez, nine hours!!! That's not healthy... Depending on how PC literate he is, I guess you could scrub his PC log on and password your own.

Being a dad, I don't allow my girls on the PC any longer than an hour at a time although I spend a considerable amount of time longer myself at night.
  • Mike C STAFF said:
    Just stand right next to him and start screaming in a high pitch voice. Continue this until he gets off the computer. Its a bit childish, but it will work.

You've had this done to you before, mike, or tried it yourself? :p
  • We have the same problem here. Three gamers in the house (2.5 anyway) and 1 PS 2 console. 9 hours is way too long for anyone to sit in front of a screen. If my kids even tried that they would be banished to the NES, or the even more insidious non-electrical activities.
  • James VanB. said:
    If my kids even tried that they would be banished to the NES

For some gamers...the NES would be rewarding.:)
  • I'd suggest you follow the basic steps of hostage negotiation.
    1. Establish rapport (get him to trust you and to feel that you understand him)
    2. Isolate the subject (this gives you the upper hand of controlling all external resources such as foods, lavatory and place to rest)
    3. Find out needs and background (he might want eat or drink or talk to a relative)
    4. Fulfill basic needs by trading (since the subject is isolated you can control the flow of mercendise he require, make sure not to give away anything without getting something in return)
    5. Convince the hostage taker to give up or terminate him by SWAT team effort.