"LOST" losing fans?
  • [CENTER]image
    [/CENTER]

Like many people, I have watched the television show "LOST" (On ABC) from the beginning, and I have been with it through the good times and the bad ;).

Times are very bad now. News stories are going about that the creators are already planning the endgame for the show (Carlton Cuse claims the show is at its halfway point, in terms of the story) with ABC.

Now, news stories are coming out that Lost is down in ratings. Big time down I mean... read this right quick: \/

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES - "Lost" crashed in the ratings this week, hitting an all-time low for a new episode. ABC's drama about plane crash survivors stranded on a mysterious island drew an estimated 12.8 million viewers Wednesday, according to preliminary figures from Nielsen Media Research. That's well off the peak of more than 20 million for the drama that became an instant sensation when it debuted in September 2004.

ABC has worked hard to try to protect a show that helped turn the network's fortunes around, moving it t o 10 p.m. EST Wednesday this year to steer clear of Fox's blockbuster "American Idol" and CBS's increasingly strong "Criminal Minds."

After "Lost" fans complained about reruns interrupting the show's serial flow last season, the network tried an experiment: It split the current season in two, airing six episodes before an extended break and then resuming with 16 additional episodes.

The show's Feb. 7 return was heavily promoted and drew nearly 14.5 million viewers. But the bounce didn't last, with the show slumping this week.
    Although protected from top-rated "American Idol" in its new time 10 p.m. time slot, "Lost" now has the disadvantage of trying to draw viewers at an hour when fewer people are watching television. This Wednesday, Valentine's Day put a 7 percent dent in overall TV viewership.
    In the show's defense, ABC noted that it beat the competition among the advertiser-favored young adult crowd, drawing 7.3 million viewers age 18 to 49 compared to the 5.8 million that tuned in to CBS' "CSI: New York."
    "Lost" also handed ABC nearly 4 million more viewers in the time slot compared to last year, when short-lived drama "Invasion" aired, the network said.

But there's no question that "Lost," once riding big ratings, buzz and cachet, has lost significant ground. Some fans and critics complain that the story has gotten confusing and unsatisfying. The show, named best drama at the 2005 Emmy Awards, was shut out at the 2006 ceremony.

I know there are probably a few people on the forum who actually like the TV show. So, speak up about it. How do you feel about the nearing end of the show, the bad ratings, and the negative fan feedback?

How does a show go from highest-rated to often-hated in such a short amount of time? I don't really know...
  • I watched it some at its start with my father, but i got nothing but confused, it could possibly be because, im not a big tv fan, and i dont get to catch every episode of everything, but every time i tried to watch it i just got confrused?!.
  • sombulus said:
    I watched it some at its start with my father, but i got nothing but confused, it could possibly be because, im not a big tv fan, and i dont get to catch every episode of everything, but every time i tried to watch it i just got confrused?!.

Lost is one of those shows that if you miss an episode, you will get confused. But at least they make them available for free online, so you can watch the whole season to catch up.

Maybe that is the problem, people can't schedule to watch it every wednesday evening...

That was the main complaint of fans, sombulus, they were not getting enough real answers, only new mysteries on the show. The producers of the show are now trying to reverse that and deliver more answers than in the past, so they don't lose any more fans.
  • is not that i can't schedule it in, its just i dont always like to watch tv, i have a sister in law that scedules her life around tv, and i just can't stand seeing my self doing that. which is the reason i like tv shows like csi , the story line doesn' carry across from episode to episode, sometimes it may state, "to be continued." If i like a show enough i'll just buy the dvd for it, then i can wach it as i like.
  • The thing that irritates me most about Lost is I can't follow the story among the island very well when their lives are being told about as well.

Lost has just become an irritating show for me..which is why I stopped watching it.:) I think I saw the episode before the season 2 finale and then haven't watched it since.

I wouldn't be too hurt if I saw it go. There are definately better shows out there.:)
  • I could never get into the story, I have tried to watch it a few times but it never seems to grab my attention.
  • It never did anything for me. I sat and watched the first show but didnt grab me enough to want to watch the second.

Im gonna get hold of Prison Break on DVD though. That looks really good.
  • Seriously...it is not that confusing! :mad: I love the show...it is one of the best shows I have ever watched. If they cancel it I will be in tears:( . If you watch it and pay attention, you'll get it. It IS a show, where you have to watch every ep, to get it. That is why they gave you many chances to watch it. So, I like the repeats every so often.:wub:
  • Me again...
    The thing that irritates me most about Lost is I can't follow the story among the island very well when their lives are being told about as well.

Yeah, well, if you watched it and paid attention, then you wouldn't get irritated! so be nice....unless you can think off better TV, then be nice!:mad:
  • scottish_girl101 said:
    Me again...

Yeah, well, if you watched it and paid attention, then you wouldn't get irritated! so be nice....unless you can think off better TV, then be nice!:mad:

Yay! Someone spoke their mind :D!!! And how can you get mad at scottish_girl, when she has such a cute avatar?

This current season has started back on Lost, and it is really starting to pick up again. I recommend some of you pick up the DVD sets, or rent them, and get caught up. It's a really interesting show, and that is hard to find on television today.

Give it a chance, please... for me?
  • Lost really never caught my intrest, I watched about 20 mins of the first episode and bits and peices of others but never a whole one. I dont really watch 'series' type shows because Im not always doing the same thing at the same time every week and sometimes just dont like watching tv.

As far as Lost goes, it seems like an ok series, just not my cup of tea.

/m/