Who's getting a PS3 March 23rd?
  • [CENTER]image

Who's getting a PS3 March 22nd and 23rd? Are you? How about that guy behind you? Is he getting one?

Just wondering, because nobody on the forum seems excited enough about it to post a thread :).

Seriously though, I hope you do like your PS3 when you nab one. I have worn mine out since getting it.

Any comments from the Eurasian crew?
    [/CENTER]
  • Exsqueeze me? Nobody has mentioned that they're getting one?
    I've been saying I'm getting mine on launch day since about June last year.
    Ask practically anyone who's been around since then, and paid attention to my posts, which I admit can be a hard thing to do, and they'll back me up on that fact.

Anyway, in case you didn't know, or understand what I've been going on about these last er 9 months ish...

I'M GETTING A PS3 ON RELEASE DAY (FRIDAY 23RD MARCH)! :p

Are you now satisfied, MCW, that I have fulfilled your request? :D
  • I have just sold my US PS3 and i'm picking my new one up at midnight on thursday night
  • im getting mine on release day, can't wait!!!!!!!!!

paying £600 though with 2 games a rip-off i know.

but worth it i hope!!!
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Are you now satisfied, MCW, that I have fulfilled your request? :D

Yes, I'm satisfied now. My life is fulfilled. :D Glad you're excited about it.

Antmaz said:
    I have just sold my US PS3 and i'm picking my new one up at midnight on thursday night

Great! But how much money did you lose on that deal? (Did you sell it to a games store or through ebay?)

[quote=robcoxy;40724]im getting mine on release day, can't wait!!!!!!!!!

paying
  • I actually managed to make money.

I bought my US machine for $599 which came out at
  • Wish i could afford one :( Unfortunatly weddings are quite costly!!
  • What are the changes with the new PS3
    i probobly sell mine to?
    ??????
  • The only major change between the current PS3 and the one the UK gets at launch is the removal of the PS2's Emotion Engine chipset- they are taking it out in favor of emulation via software. Phil Harisson has said in interviews they still expect most PS2 titles to work going this route so you shouldn't see much difference overall. Of course, if you are using an imported system you'll not be able to make use of the backward compatibility anyway.

By using the system made for your region you will be able to use all of the features (backward compatibility, Blu-Ray and DVD playback, etc.) that you aren't with imports due to region coding.

• That's the enthusiasm I was looking for people Thanks for commenting.

No problem, i cant really comment on how amazing the ps3 is (i wish i could) because i still havent played one so ill just say:

it looks amazing:D
  • The only major change between the current PS3 and the one the UK gets at launch is the removal of the PS2's Emotion Engine chipset- they are taking it out in favor of emulation via software. Phil Harisson has said in interviews they still expect most PS2 titles to work going this route so you shouldn't see much difference overall.

Doesnt really seem like a major change to me !!!!

:D
  • It isn't, really- some people are a bit paranoid about it, however. You hit other forums and there are usually several threads asking/ complaining about it.
  • robcoxy said:
    No problem, i cant really comment on how amazing the ps3 is (i wish i could) because i still havent played one so ill just say:

it looks amazing:D

Well, people have said that the first game to really display what the PS3 has to offer, as far as graphical power goes is Motorstorm. While I agree that the graphics are pretty great for it, I have one that may just top it... from a looks standpoint.

What I'm speaking of is this "Def Jam: Icon" game by EA. They put a free downloadable demo in the Playstation store. I downloaded it, knowing it would probably be a one-time play... it is, but I saw a lot of things I liked about it though. The characters in the game are photo-realistic copies of the rappers they represent in real-life.

The scenery in the background is amazingly detailed as well, and my only hope is that the first-ever PS3 WWE game learns a thing or two from def jam, and tries to do something that's at least as good looking as it is.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...and my only hope is that the first-ever PS3 WWE game learns a thing or two from def jam, and tries to do something that's at least as good looking as it is.

Don't mention the WWE games on PS3. I'm still a lil miffed that THQ dint release 2007 of PS3. They were developing it for the PS3 then they stopped.
    Why, I ask you? Why? :mad:

Anyhoo, can't wait til they release 2008 in Nov this year. They betta put it on PS3 or else I'm sending the Absolue-playstation heavies round, k? :frown:

Jay

p.s. Still on course to get mine on Friday.
    p.p.s. That reminds me, gotta phone the shop today and tell the guy that I neither want nor need the extra cable as the console is definitely getting the regular Av cable and scart connector. That's good enough for me at the mo as we ain't got HDTV at home at the mo. Hope my mum and dad hurry's up and buys one. We do need a new tv afterall...
  • I hope you get an HDTV too. HDTV's are made for video games, and I love mine.

I don't know why thq dropped work on the '07 smackdown for ps3... I guess they wanted to make sure they got a good-looking/feeling version of their game ready for the ps3, instead of just a port of what was already out on the other systems.
  • HDTV's are made for video games, and I love mine.

I agree,HDTVS are made for video games, even though mine doesnt output 'true hd' 1080p, im still more than happy with it.

Well, people have said that the first game to really display what the PS3 has to offer, as far as graphical power goes is Motorstorm.

Motorstorm does look great but by the end of the year i bet everyone will see even more potential in the PS3.My favourite game at the moment has to be resistance though.

Is anyone excited about the likes of assassins creed and gta lV hopefully coming later on in the year.
  • It isn't, really- some people are a bit paranoid about it, however. You hit other forums and there are usually several threads asking/ complaining about it.

Some people ey lol
  • robcoxy said:
    I agree,HDTVS are made for video games, even though mine doesnt output 'true hd' 1080p, im still more than happy with it.

Is anyone excited about the likes of assassins creed and gta lV hopefully coming later on in the year.

Well, my tv is supposedly putting out 1080i, but I think you'd need a magnifying glass to tell the difference from i and p :D. I am very excited about those two games, and I imagine just about everyone else is too :) I love the concept of assassins creed, so I'll definitely be buying that one. With GTA, you know they'd really have to mess it up for no one to want that game. They have always delivered with that franchise.
  • Well, my tv is supposedly putting out 1080i, but I think you'd need a magnifying glass to tell the difference from i and p

Same my tv does 1080 i and ive heard a hell of a lot of people say theres hardly a difference between i and p, so :D lol

yeah gta games always deliver and with the ps3 the franchise can only improve. Also saints row should be coming out in a few months its a great game on the xbox so pretty excited about that 2 till the next gta comes out.
    Ive also heard a rumour of a ps3 installment of prince of persia, so with that and assassins creedwhoever said the ps3 games were exactly the same as the ps2 is sure to be proved wrong.

:) :D
  • robcoxy said:
    Same my tv does 1080 i and ive heard a hell of a lot of people say theres hardly a difference between i and p

Well from what I'd heard, I thought there was a clear difference between 1080i and 1080p formats. Does anyone actually have one capable of 1080p? That way, we can ask them if there is a marked difference or not.

robcoxy said:
    yeah gta games always deliver and with the ps3 the franchise can only improve. Also saints row should be coming out in a few months its a great game on the xbox so pretty excited about that 2 till the next gta comes out.
    Ive also heard a rumour of a ps3 installment of prince of persia, so with that and assassins creedwhoever said the ps3 games were exactly the same as the ps2 is sure to be proved wrong.

First off, which one is Assassins Creed again? I've had a temp mind block regarding that game. Is that the one with er that Japanese actor, what's his name? Dammit, can't even remember his name :mad:

As for GTAIV, well it's GTA, nuff said really. Anyone remember B.PS2. (Before Playstation 2) when you looked down on the maps from above? Imagine if they released GTAIV with an option to play like that again, but in full 3D, that would be funny :laugh:
    Seriously though, GTAIV is gonna rock well and truly.

Another game I can't wait for, which is gonna blow the likes of RR7 and MotorStorm well and truly off the road, is Burnout 5. That game looks unbelievable so far. EA have built the first PS3 incarnation of Burnout from the ground up; completely from scratch, so we'll see what it looks like in a few months' time. I personally cannot wait.

Will have to make do, for the moment, with Burnout Dominator, which I'll be getting this week :)
  • itll probably be another three years before i get one considering the fact that my tv was made in the early 90's and at the time not one high def tv in the house, and i need tires and to finish a room in my house, and a bunch of other stuff that is really costly
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    The only major change between the current PS3 and the one the UK gets at launch is the removal of the PS2's Emotion Engine chipset- they are taking it out in favor of emulation via software. Phil Harisson has said in interviews they still expect most PS2 titles to work going this route so you shouldn't see much difference overall. Of course, if you are using an imported system you'll not be able to make use of the backward compatibility anyway.

By using the system made for your region you will be able to use all of the features (backward compatibility, Blu-Ray and DVD playback, etc.) that you aren't with imports due to region coding.

that means you can able to play ps2 cds in ps3 even its english? (coz mine is japanese)
  • No, renz- if your PS3 is from Japan it will only play the Japanese PS2 games as well as PSOne games, DVDs and Blu-Ray movies meant for Japan. Local games made for your area won't work other than PS3 games. That is why Sony was trying so hard before to stop imports into the UK, so gamers could get all of the functionality.
  • Does anyone actually have one capable of 1080p? That way, we can ask them if there is a marked difference or not.

Anyone got a 1080p tv den???

First off, which one is Assassins Creed again? I've had a temp mind block regarding that game. Is that the one with er that Japanese actor, what's his name? Dammit, can't even remember his name

Not a clue who acts in it sorry, the game looks brilliant though!!

Another game I can't wait for, which is gonna blow the likes of RR7 and MotorStorm well and truly off the road, is Burnout 5. That game looks unbelievable so far. EA have built the first PS3 incarnation of Burnout from the ground up; completely from scratch, so we'll see what it looks like in a few months' time. I personally cannot wait.

I thought burnout 3 n burnout revenge were amazing so burnout 5 should be amazinggggg, it looks great aswell, much better than rr7.

Imagine if they released GTAIV with an option to play like that again, but in full 3D, that would be funny

GTA is going to be excellent and what a good idea with the whole 3D map thing you should work for sony. lol

Is anyone interested in mercanaries 2 ??? that game also looks awesome. too many games and not enough for the launch (angry).
  • Jason F Staff said:
    First off, which one is Assassins Creed again? I've had a temp mind block regarding that game. Is that the one with er that Japanese actor, what's his name? Dammit, can't even remember his name :mad:

Well, I do not know about the Japanese actor you are speaking of, but so far I do have somewhat of an idea of what the game is going to be about. Basically, you're this dude in Medieval times that has to blend into crowds, hide in shadows, and do all kinds of stealthy stuff. The neato thing is that your character will use the "Parkour" feature (Kinda like Prince of Persia) that has become a sport (Look it up) to get around the castles.

Here's an in game screenshot. You'll be the guy on the left... You're left.

The game release date has not been announced for any country, but this one looks amazing right now. I hope they can pull it off.

And yeah: GTA IV, 'nuff said.
  • Well, I do not know about the Japanese actor you are speaking of, but so far I do have somewhat of an idea of what the game is going to be about. Basically, you're this dude in Medieval times that has to blend into crowds, hide in shadows, and do all kinds of stealthy stuff. The neato thing is that your character will use the "Parkour" feature (Kinda like Prince of Persia) that has become a sport (Look it up) to get around the castles.

YEPPP all true really but ive heard theres a kind of weird twist to the story something about time travelling. The game uses the same fighting and control techniques as prince of persia but you roam about assassinating whoever you want. HOW COOL.
    YES MCW I REALLY DO HOPE THEY PULL IT OFF.

You'll be the guy on the left... You're left

The guys called Altair i think.

GTA!!!!!!!!! yayyyyyy. lol
  • GTA!!!!!!!!! yayyyyyy. lol

forget that quote.

just.......GTA!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Well, I do not know about the Japanese actor you are speaking of, but so far I do have somewhat of an idea of what the game is going to be about. Basically, you're this dude in Medieval times that has to blend into crowds, hide in shadows, and do all kinds of stealthy stuff. The neato thing is that your character will use the "Parkour" feature (Kinda like Prince of Persia) that has become a sport (Look it up) to get around the castles.

Right, I remember what the game is like now.

The Japanese Actor I was going about relates to a game that's actually about a Japanese, really well known, Martial Arts expert. Not Jackie Chan, a bit like Bruce Lee but not Bruce Lee. He's the guy who's name I can't remember. I can think of his face but not his name.

I never was good at names... :(

p.s. GTA rules. Although, I wanna have a go at that XBOX ripoff of the GTA series when it comes out for the PS3. I must admit, I've always thought it looked really good. Especially as you can create your own "dude". :huh:
  • Would you be thinking of Jet Li, star of Kiss Of The Dragon, Romeo Must Die, The One, Fearless, etc.? :rolleyes:

The GTA ripoff is Saint's Row, btw. Nothing exactly new or different in it other than the create-a-character.
  • The GTA ripoff is Saint's Row, btw. Nothing exactly new or different in it other than the create-a-character.

True but its still a good game, even for a gta rip-off.

PS3 tommorow :D :D :D cant wait !!!!!!!!
  • Yep, in just a couple of hours, a flood of new people will be in possession of a PS3. The beginning of this system has been rocky - to say the least, but I stand behind my previous statements that you will be starting off in the U.K. and Australia much better than the U.S. did.

This newest firmware update, released today, fixes so much nonsense, that the PS3 finally feels good to navigate. So, you'll be starting with a fresh copy of that firmware (Be sure to update first :D before doing too much). Not to mention, the systems we have in the U.S.A. and Canada are first-run old fogies now :) . They aren't as clean and shiny as yours will be as soon as you pull it out of that cardboard box.

It's good to know though, that you have an excellent forum here that you can depend on to help with any issues you may be confused about with your new PS3. I don't think a question ever goes unanswered around here, and often so, by multiple people.

So, I wish you new system owners the very best, and hope you don't get robbed as soon as you walk out of the store with it :w00t2: Seriously... we've got the scars to prove it!
  • I am hearing reports of people not getting thier free James Bond BluRay disc with their European PS3... could any of our members who are picking up one today confirm this please ?

Jim
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that offer for the first to log into PSN in the UK, not just buying the PS3? If so then they would be sending the disc to those people to the address registered with the PSN account.
  • Jim B STAFF said:
    I am hearing reports of people not getting thier free James Bond BluRay disc with their European PS3... could any of our members who are picking up one today confirm this please ?

Jim

I've answered that on my newest blog entry.

I have a question of my own, though, that I hope someone can help me with.
    How can I download the firmware for the PS3 if I don't have internet access at home? Is there a site like there is for the PSP where you can do it manually? Or is there a CD I can send off for, possibly?

Please help.

Jay
  • Your only other option would be to download it onto a USB thumb drive from Sony's UK PlayStation site when you are at someplace with net access. Just place the update file into the correct folders (top folder PS3, make a folder in it called UPDATE, place the update file in there) and the PS3 will see it and start installing.

I do plan to have a .zip file of the 1.6 firmware update here in the PS3 Downloads section eventually. The hosting site i used for 1.54 is down for maintenance at the moment however.
  • My dad has got his today and the only communication ive had is a text a dinnertime saying

Its a brute of a machine

So he must be happy lol - In fact he is so into gaming that my calls are ignored!!! :mad:
  • Small update- I have a .zip file of the 1.6 firmware available now in the PS3 Downloads area for those that would like update using a memory stick or thumb drive.

Out of curiosity, anyone here in on the Virgin Megastore PS3 launch on Oxford Street and get themselves a new tv?
  • Registered the console as you suggested, but there was no mention of a free movie anywhere during the registration process.
  • I heard that too lyn

Virgin megastore was hading out new HDTV's

Game was handing out bacon butties and cups of tea

Know which queue i would rather have been in :rolleyes:
  • Jane S STAFF said:
    ...Game was handing out bacon butties and cups of tea

Know which queue i would rather have been in :rolleyes:

I agree with that statement Jane.

I've already posted on the news bit that Lyn put up about people like me who's has a PS3 pre-ordered for about a year should get a free tv as well, or at least like 75% off or something.
    Need to start a petition about it.
    If every member on this site signed it...WOW people power :D
    Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Small update- I have a .zip file of the 1.6 firmware available now in the PS3 Downloads area for those that would like update using a memory stick or thumb drive...

Cheers for the update Lyn, I'll go and donwload it now.
    I did donwload the file from the US PS3 site, but it probably would've knackered up me console had I used the file. Glad you've got the UK one ready.

Actually, it is the UK/Euro version of the download, right?
    Or won't it matter. On the official US site, it says it could harm the PS3 if used on a non-US console.

Jay
  • I actually meant the bacon butty queue jay x:)
  • Jason F Staff said:
    I agree with that statement Jane.

I've already posted on the news bit that Lyn put up about people like me who's has a PS3 pre-ordered for about a year should get a free tv as well, or at least like 75% off or something.
    Need to start a petition about it.
    If every member on this site signed it...WOW people power :D

Cheers for the update Lyn, I'll go and donwload it now.
    I did donwload the file from the US PS3 site, but it probably would've knackered up me console had I used the file. Glad you've got the UK one ready.

Actually, it is the UK/Euro version of the download, right?
    Or won't it matter. On the official US site, it says it could harm the PS3 if used on a non-US console.

Jay

It is the North American version of the patch I put up- however, there should be no difference between the two. At any rate, you had since linked to the UK download up there so people have their pick (mine's just packaged and ready for install).