iPod saves soldier (Great Pictures)
  • [CENTER]image
    [/CENTER]

Baghdad (Iraq) - According to a picture posted on Flickr, one lucky U.S. Army soldier was saved by his iPod after the music player took a bullet from an AK-47. Kevin Garrad with the 3rd Infantry Division was patrolling the streets of Iraq when he rounded a corner and went face to face with a gun-toting insurance. Gun fire was exchanged and Garrad was hit in the chest. The insurgent was killed.

At point blank range an AK-47 round is devastating and has a decent chance of passing through the Interceptor body armor vests used by Army soldiers, but the ipod apparently slowed the bullet enough to be stopped completely by Garrad’s vest. From the picture, it appears that the ipod was hit in the upper-right front corner and the bullet exited out the back.

Soldiers often take iPods, MP3 players, portable gaming consoles and other electronic devices to reduce the boredom that often comes from being stationed overseas.

[CENTER]image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]And here's the soldier.
    [/CENTER]
  • bugger the body armour! Just get Sony to sort out PS3 body armour. Have you seen & felt the power of it? More than any tank.

GET OUR BOYS & GIRLS BACK SAFE & SOUND TONY & GEORGE!!!!!
  • Well, the iPod has to be useful for something...and it aint much good as a door stop!
  • Rory K STAFF said:
    Well, the iPod has to be useful for something...and it aint much good as a door stop!

Aw, now that's a low blow :o. I love my iPod. What have you got against it? :eek: I use mine every single day, and I'm proud to say I do!
  • I had 3 of those Nano's in 12 weeks. :frown:
    I got seriously fed up with it never working and then asked if i could have my money back and I got a Zen instead. The sound was much the same to my ears, but it has never missed a beat, and it gets lots of abuse.
  • Rory K STAFF said:
    I had 3 of those Nano's in 12 weeks.
    I got seriously fed up with it never working and then asked if i could have my money back and I got a Zen instead. The sound was much the same to my ears, but it has never missed a beat, and it gets lots of abuse.

Ah, the truth comes out :D. Yes, I've owned an Ipod Video for about 2 years now. I had it for maybe 6 months, when suddenly the hard drive crashed inside of it, at which point it started making hilarious popping noises!

Thankfully, Apple has good warranty coverage, so I took it to an "Apple Store" the same week that it broke, and they gave me a brand new Ipod, same style and color!!

So, yeah, I would recommend everyone buy a warranty with an iPod, just in case, because if you are planning on dropping it on the floor or getting shot in a war, it's worth it. :)

My iPod takes some abuse, but not as bad as one would get in Iraq :huh: Thanks George W., you're an American Hero. :p
  • I love my Zen, too. Plus it has a radio and mic in it, so I can a) record the radio and b) dictate notes to myself. (I'm a private eye, so I have to make brooding narration when I work on my cases. It's true.)