Folding@Home on the PS3- Join Team AP
  • Not sure how many have checked out the news item regarding the Folding@Home project coming to the PS3 in the next firmware update, happening next week. Details as to how it works are there but what it does is help process data from Stanford University to eventually find information toward cures for several diseases including forms of cancer.

The reason for this thread is to let everyone know there is now an Absolute PlayStation team set up for this project. Joining the team is as simple as adding the team number into the folding client's settings. When the update is available I will be adding in details on how to add yourself into the team.

They have a client available for the PC as well- anyone wanting to know a bit more about the project can check out their site- I'll link to it at the bottom of this post. If anyone decides to install their computer client (which is completely safe- it's from the medical research team at Stamford University, after all ;) ) the team number to add when installing is 54263. Drop a note here to ask questions, say you've signed up, etc.

Folding@Home home page

Our team page
  • Joining a team is made very easy on the PS3's Folding@Home client. I'm adding a couple of photos for visual aids.

Hit the triangle button to bring up the options menu and scroll down to Identity, then select "Join an existing team".

Once here just enter the team number 54263. Then hit the Start button on your controller and done.You can also change the username in the Identity section to, for example, match up with your name here if you like.

• OK, I signed up for Folding@Home AbPlay team today. I'm MCWHAMMER on there too. Is there a purpose of having the abplay folding team? I mean, VS. just folding without a team on there...

Just wondering. I like Folding... makes for a good screensaver too, for our TV's :)

(USEFUL NOTES: If you hit the SELECT button on your controller while viewing the planet Earth, it will change the screenview to 3-4 different views you can look at. Just noticed that.)

Also, straight off of a Sony page: "The locations of PS3™ systems that are running Folding@home™ are displayed on the world map that is visible in the background." In yellow, that is. That's cool too.
  • The team thing is mainly a way to get more people into it. It's a bit more incentive to be part of a group. People set up teams to go with the web site, like I did. The more people in a team, the more work units get done and research is furthered that little bit more. There is a ranking system in place for teams based on the number of work units done- nothing awarded for it but still, makes for some friendly competition. ;)

I'm still amazed at the speed of the frame processing- .043 seconds each with the unit I'm running right now. Makes my PC pale in comparison.
  • OK, well, I guess I will show up in the standings for Absolute Playstation late tonight. That is when my first fold will be finished, it seems. I saw one my buddies on my PSN list was on Folding@Home earlier. So, its good to see that people are doing this.

I have two questions still: There is no way to "Pause" a protein fold while you go play a game is there?

And, on a related note:

I guess it isn't much of a question, because I probably know the answer to it... but anyway, there is no way to run the Folding in the background, without having to connect to the Folding@Home program on the PS3? I thought it was going to be like a little box in the corner of the screen, while you surfed the net or something. Under one of the Settings boxes on Folding@home, it says "Audio On or Off" and below that it says something like "Box View", but it doesn't let me change that at all. Is that feature coming soon?
  • You can shut off the folding any time by hitting the triangle button and select "quit folding" in the menu that comes up. The current work unit will pause and resume where you left off when you fire it up again. Folding only runs when the PS3 is sitting completely idle. It does not run in the background while gaming, watching a movie, etc.

You can set the Folding program to start up after 10, 20 ir 30 minutes of sitting idle. Just hit triangle when highlighting the Folding icon in the Internet section of the XMB and make your choice.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You can shut off the folding any time by hitting the triangle button and select "quit folding" in the menu that comes up. The current work unit will pause and resume where you left off when you fire it up again. Folding only runs when the PS3 is sitting completely idle. It does not run in the background while gaming, watching a movie, etc.

You can set the Folding program to start up after 10, 20 ir 30 minutes of sitting idle. Just hit triangle when highlighting the Folding icon in the Internet section of the XMB and make your choice.

Thanks Lyndon. Gosh, I thought I was going to have to wait until tommorow to play a game ;). I didn't want to mess up my neat fold, lol.

That's good information. Maybe you could add that to the Folding@Home sticky, and make it a FAQ, since there really isn't much of one on the playstation 3 website.
  • Just signed up for your folding team Lyndon, thanks for setting this up.
  • Looking good, hope more will decide to hook up with us. You don't have to keep it running all the time- just leave it running a few hours a day and it will all add up.

With just the two of us having full work units reported in (MCW and myself) we are ranked 13,686 out of 54,281 teams. If we can get more folders going i know we can jump the ranks quickly! B)

Also, to give an idea to compare performance of folding on the PS3 vs Windows here's a current comparison of how much has been done. keep in mind that foldinghas been done on the PC for well over a year:

OS Type---------CurrentTFLOPS*----------Active CPUs----------Total CPUs
    Windows--------------154-------------------162121-------------1629089

PLAYSTATION®3-------491--------------------30851---------------40000

In the short time that PlayStation 3 users have been folding just over 3 times the data has been processed overall with 300,000+ fewer machines going at it part time. they weren't kidding about the cell's power.

Jim, don't forget to add the team number into your folding if you haven't yet so that the team gets the proper credit. ;)
  • Just wanted to add that i left some photos up above to help with where to put the team number for anyone wanting to join the team. B)
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:

With just the two of us having full work units reported in (MCW and myself) we are ranked 13,686 out of 54,281 teams. If we can get more folders going i know we can jump the ranks quickly! B)

Hey, I noticed that Team rank too. That is great isn't it Lyndon? 13,686 for just two people in a team :p. That's amazing. I guess there aren't many ps3 team Folders yet, but I will definitely keep folding to get our team score as high as possible.

At first, I was thoroughly confused by the whole thing, but after you install Folding@Home, when you start it up, it has links to lots of information that explains what it is exactly that we are doing. That was really helpful to me, and I have a better understanding of the system now.
  • Quick update here- we are now ranked at 10,284 out of 61,399 teams. Not bad for just the three of us (Jim has been folding a bit now when he can).

Still, we would like to see that number get better and to do that we need more APi members joining the folding team. Details for doing that are up above with pictures for easy guidance. :)
  • I Signed Up For The Folding@home But Didn't Know You Had A Team But I'm Going To Join The Team Tonight
  • Welcome aboard Grim- glad to have you on the team! B)
  • I joined too on my pc. Im almost done with my first work unit.

Welcome to the team Grim!
  • Our ranking is climbing pretty quickly- we are now #8341 out of 63,141 teams! We've cracked the top 10,000! Good work everyone, let's keep it going. The team is always open for new members that want to help the cause! B)

I've made the links to the Folding home page and our stats easily found on the top post.
  • I think i get this thing, do i just start my PS3 up say once or twice a day and leave it to fold for an hour or so and it doesnt affect the system or anything in anyway?????

i will be joining your team tonight by the way, thanks people :):):)
  • just joined the team and am folding now, right at this very minute!!!

the team is now ranked something like 7000th out 61-62000 teams so yes were doing good lets keep it up.......

just another 5 hours to go till my first one is complete im so glad i can quit and not lose the fold pheww!! :):):):)
  • robcoxy said:
    just joined the team and am folding now, right at this very minute!!!

the team is now ranked something like 7000th out 61-62000 teams so yes were doing good lets keep it up.......

just another 5 hours to go till my first one is complete im so glad i can quit and not lose the fold pheww!! :):):):)

On the PS3, you can actually click on the thing that says "Quit folding" and it will bookmark your position so that you can come back later and continue with the same one. So, you don't have to worry about quitting. Just don't turn off your system until you're back on the main ps3 cross-media bar page.

Glad you joined the team!
  • yeppp when i want to quit ill just click on quit folding and when im back on the main cross-media bar i can turn off the system or play a game, thanks.

And thankyou im glad to be on the team !!!!!
  • OK, I didn't know if you knew about how the "quit" feature worked. It confused me when I first signed up, because Sony doesn't exactly give you instructions on how to use the software :rolleyes:.
  • Welcome To The Team Robcoxy
  • Welcome aboard, Rob- glad to have you join the squad! B) Looks like you have all the questions answered there. I will say that you can leave the system on as long as you like without affecting the system- heck, mine has been on for several days straight now (other than late yesterday afternoon when a power outage shut it down on me- no damage done though).

To clarify the standings we are now at 7,427 out of 63,696 teams- we're slowly climbing our way to the top!
  • OK, I didn't know if you knew about how the "quit" feature worked. It confused me when I first signed up, because Sony doesn't exactly give you instructions on how to use the software .

Yeah, it did confuse me at first too , sony should really attatch some help to the software, anyways thanks...:D :)

Does anyone no if in a future update you will be able to run folding in the background that would be good and i for one would get a lot more folding done....

Cheers guys for the friendly welcome, hopefully i will help the team out quite a bit...

Team AP!!!!! :D :cool:
  • Welcome aboard, Rob- glad to have you join the squad! Looks like you have all the questions answered there. I will say that you can leave the system on as long as you like without affecting the system- heck, mine has been on for several days straight now (other than late yesterday afternoon when a power outage shut it down on me- no damage done though).

Thats good because hopefully i will be using it quite a bit, and i dont want ma PS3 breaking up on me thanks lyndon :cool: :D
  • I finished one work unit, but my system has been "attempting to get work packet" for the last few days. I wonder how long it'll take until I get a new one.
  • It should be able to download the next unit soon after sending back the last, Mike. It's possible their server is acting up a bit or maybe you'll need to check some settings- maybe something is blocking the outbound traffic from the folding on your PC.
  • I finished one work unit, but my system has been "attempting to get work packet" for the last few days. I wonder how long it'll take until I get a new one.

I would say it has either broken or like lyn said the servers playing up or your computer is, keep on trying thats my only advice sorry......:( :rolleyes:

just wanted to add that i completed my 1st work unit,:cool: lol not much of an achievement but oh well... o yeah and how come im not on the team sheet on the folding website :( LOL.....
  • robcoxy said:
    just wanted to add that i completed my 1st work unit,:cool: lol not much of an achievement but oh well... o yeah and how come im not on the team sheet on the folding website :( LOL.....

Congrats on your first work unit!

Yeah, it takes a little while to register a finished work unit, but you're on the team page now. I see you there. Good job.
  • Lol, it still hasn't gotten a new work unit. Im in last place now :(
  • Congrats on your first work unit!

Yeah, it takes a little while to register a finished work unit, but you're on the team page now. I see you there. Good job.

Thanks MCW....:)
    O Yeah just checked,sorry for moaning, and thanks MCW for checking :).....
    The team is now 6,972nd out of 63,975....

Lol, it still hasn't gotten a new work unit. Im in last place now

Lol :( i really dont no whats wrong are you folding on a computer or a PS3???
    i just think its probably bust or cant get a connection maybe..... sorry i cant be more help.....
  • Mike C STAFF said:
    Lol, it still hasn't gotten a new work unit. Im in last place now :(

Still nothing? That stinks, huh?

I wish I could help you fix the issue (If you're still having one), but it sounds like you've tried everything logical. But I do wonder if you could reinstall the last firmware update somehow, and if that would help the problem. It would overwrite and reinstall the folding update perhaps...

In other news, I just checked and saw that our team is now sitting pretty with a score of 5843 (Subject to change in ten minutes ;)). That is great to see!
  • I think, mike, you may want to try uninstalling the Folding on your PC and then reinstall it. Sounds like something busted on the original install. Might want to check and be sure a firewall or something isn't blocking the outbound traffic from it.

MC, your suggestion wouldn't work- he's folding on his computer, not the PS3.

Nice to see our new ranking- went to check it last night but they were doing another bit of maintenance on it at the time (seems to be a constant occurrence).
  • The team is doing great now, good work :D

I dont know how im ever going to catch up with MCW and Lyndon, also i came on the other day thinking i would be 3rd place and Jim-B had progressed 5 work units :o , anyway im just completing my 7th...

O yeah and the number 1 folding team in the world has something like 4 million work units completed:o :o , i think there should be a seperate league for just PS3 donators so we have a chance...anyway....

Good work
  • I tend to leave my system on and folding steady 24/7 when not playing games or watching movies- doesn't affect the system at all. At just over 5 hours a work unit it adds up quick. ;) We're at 5812 as of today so were climbing fairly quickly yet. B)

Those teams at the very top of the list have been at it since the beginning and have a lot of members (hundreds and more) running the client on their PCs. It would be good to see a PS3-only set of team stats but i doubt if they would have that in the plans.

I see we have a new member to the folding team, TwlzTD. Welcome aboard!
  • I tend to leave my system on and folding steady 24/7 when not playing games or watching movies- doesn't affect the system at all. At just over 5 hours a work unit it adds up quick. We're at 5812 as of today so were climbing fairly quickly yet.

Sheesh ! i fold all day on weekends but on weekdays i only fold for about 3 hours so i really am not going to catch up with you guys lol :), 5812th, we are doing well, well done..

Those teams at the very top of the list have been at it since the beginning and have a lot of members (hundreds and more) running the client on their PCs. It would be good to see a PS3-only set of team stats but i doubt if they would have that in the plans.

I see we have a new member to the folding team, TwlzTD. Welcome aboard!

Yeah didnt think they would, oh well...:)
    And welcome to TwIzTD, ive just noticed aswell, and i like your name lol glad to have you aboard :)
  • welcome to the folding team TwIzTD.
  • A couple more new names to welcome to the Folding team- our very own resident Irish majik man, Rory K STAFF. He's folding under the name Majik_AP. Also, welcome jrs2088 to the squad!

Stats update- we are now 5,534 out of 66,143 teams.
  • Welcome to the folding team majik_AP and jrs2088 :cool: :)
  • Hey, recently the old PS3 has been playing up, freezing and disconnecting, i found out that this was because of my game resistance, whenever i tried to play it the PS3 would freeze and not unfreeze for a long time..

It took me a while to find the source of the problem, in that time i had enterd folding when the system froze, i had nearly finished a wu and i had to turn it off so i lost the wu....

I recently completed my 12th wu after twice losing a wu (i should be on 14), so on ma PS3 it says ive completed 12 wu but on our team page it says ive completed 13!!! am i missing something :confused: :frown: ....

Does anyone no why and is it usual when trying to play a broke game it will affect the system for around an hour afterwards ?????? :eek:

Anyway, ive sorted the PS3 and it now plays evry game (except the broke resistance), and runs without freezing beautifally.... Id just like some advice and knowledge on what has been happening lately ??? :huh: ..anyone???
  • As long as it shows correctly on the stats page there are no worries, Rob.

As for Resistance, not sure what to say other than clean the disc and see if that helps.

A quick stats update- we have cracked the top 5000! Currently we sit at #4750 out of 67,482 teams. B)
  • As long as it shows correctly on the stats page there are no worries, Rob.

As for Resistance, not sure what to say other than clean the disc and see if that helps.

A quick stats update- we have cracked the top 5000! Currently we sit at #4750 out of 67,482 teams.

Ignore that post that was a little while ago before i found the problem, sorry....

I will be adding to our team once again when ma new PS3 comes....
    Lyndon 100+wu damnnnn....
  • Hey guys,
    am currently in the process of my first Fold.
    It says it's going to take like 7 hours ish...is that normal? :confused: :o
    Jay
  • Hey guys,
    am currently in the process of my first Fold.
    It says it's going to take like 7 hours ish...is that normal?
    Jay

Yeah thats completely normal, some folds only take 5 hours and are bigger folds and give you more points. But some folds will take around 7-8 hours even though they're smaller and give you less points. Its confusing i know. :confused:.

Anyway all of mine have took around that long, its completely normal. It even says on the PS3 faQ part of the folding website, if you wanna take a look. :)

Welcome to the team Jason.....
  • Cheers for that Rob
    Glad to know it's normal, if not a little strange :eek:
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Cheers for that Rob
    Glad to know it's normal, if not a little strange :eek:

It is a little strange, yes, but it is an improvement over what it used to be. Before a recent firmware update, it took much longer to fold a "Work Unit" than it does now.

You don't have to do it all in one day though, you can do it for three hours, stop, come back the next day for four hours, etc. I prefer to do it that way, and you don't lose your current position.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    It is a little strange, yes, but it is an improvement over what it used to be. Before a recent firmware update, it took much longer to fold a "Work Unit" than it does now.

You don't have to do it all in one day though, you can do it for three hours, stop, come back the next day for four hours, etc. I prefer to do it that way, and you don't lose your current position.

Well then, they better update the firmware again asap so that it only takes like 2-3 hours at the absolute most, that wouldn't be too bad then.
  • Cheers for that Rob
    Glad to know it's normal, if not a little strange

No problem. :)
    Yeah its early days for folding on the PS3 so some things are bound to be a little strange really.

Yeah there have been a lot of helpful improvements. :D
    And yeah i normally dont do it in all in one day, maybe 2 or 3 hours in the evening on weekdays, usually. At the weekends i will fold for most of the day though. :) Just make sure you dont leave it for around 5 days i once did that and i lost the wu i was working on. Lol

Well then, they better update the firmware again asap so that it only takes like 2-3 hours at the absolute most, that wouldn't be too bad then

That would be so much easier if it only took that long or you could run it in the background. But i dont think this will happen as from what i've heard its pretty complex stuff, and not likely to change. We can hope though right..... :D
  • er, quick question. Anyone know how to change the name of the fold thing? It was apparently called PS3 so I changed it to Jay290783.
    Only problem is...the change hasn't occurred on our Team Page. It still says PS3 on the members table thing...why won't it ruddy change :mad:
  • Jason F Staff said:
    er, quick question. Anyone know how to change the name of the fold thing? It was apparently called PS3 so I changed it to Jay290783.
    Only problem is...the change hasn't occurred on our Team Page. It still says PS3 on the members table thing...why won't it ruddy change :mad:

It can take up too 2 hours to update any changes you've made on the PS3 onto the website, so maybe it just hasnt had time to update yet. :confused: :)
  • Any units folded on that first name will stay on that name- anything done after the name change will appear under your Jay290783 name. The folding on the PS3 itself will still have your total tally.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Any units folded on that first name will stay on that name- anything done after the name change will appear under your Jay290783 name. The folding on the PS3 itself will still have your total tally.

What? So it will reset back to 1 on the site? Bloody typical :frown:
    Where was the info about the name thing when I needed it?
    I just presumed it would automatically show up as Jay290783 as that was what I registered for my Playstation Network name :mad:
  • It may show as one on the tally under your name but you know the ones marked under the name PS3 are yours too. As I also mentioned, the total in the program itself will reflect all the folding you have done. Besides, the main thing is the greater good the folding can do. Don't stress the stats.

You should know by now what assuming does, btw. ;)
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    It may show as one on the tally under your name but you know the ones marked under the name PS3 are yours too. As I also mentioned, the total in the program itself will reflect all the folding you have done. Besides, the main thing is the greater good the folding can do. Don't stress the stats.

You should know by now what assuming does, btw. ;)

Well I asked the question on the official folding forums and I got an answer practically the same you gave.
    Nowt can be done about it, that was the basic gist of it.
    Ah well, at least we're making a difference...I guess :(
  • Just thought I'd post a quick reply.
    I've just checked, and our Team now sits at 4118 out of 69100 teams
    On a more personal note, my current Overall Rank is apparently 241145 out of 740377...whatever that means :confused:
    Although, can't be bad, to say I only started folding on Monday (just gone) :pp
    Also, I'm er 6th in our teams table :clap: Go Me! Go Me! :59:
    Still a little bit to go before I catch 5th place (Jim). Be months before I catch 2nd place (MCW) and years before I catch 1st place (Lyn)
  • Lol, no one will catch Lyn at that rate.. :D:D

Good work Jason, considering you did only start on Monday.. :)
  • I will be joining team AP tonight, I always use folding home now when I recharge my controller.
  • Well, has anyone seen the Team APi League Table recently?
    I'm gradually catching up to MCW, he's on 59 and I'm on 32 Work Units completed, so I'm getting there, lol.
    Still quite a while behind Lyn though as he's currently on 182 :o

These are the top 5 Folders and the number of Work Units (WUs) they have completed.
    Username - WUs Completed[LIST=1]
    [*]lyndonAP - 186
    [*]MCWHAMMER - 59
    [*]Jay290783 - 32
    [*]TwIzTd - 21
    [*]RobCoxy - 13[/LIST]Make sure you keep up the good work people. Let's keep climbing that Team Rank from our current position of 3,647 of 70,632 all the way to number 1, ok? :)

Jay
    Site Squad
  • I will be climbing my way up that leaderboard again now !
    After a 3 week setback, i'm back with a fresh PS3 and ready to fold...

Jay you better watch your back, and as for Lyn your days as #1 folder are numbered...
    Lol... :laugh: :laugh: :D :D
  • You forget, Rob, we're competing against other teams- not each other. :p

Mike, did you not get things figured out yet with your computer and the folding?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You forghet, Rob, we're competing against other teams- not each other. :p...

you're only saying that because you're miles out in front :p
    Besides, if we increase the competition between our team members, that will pump up the amount of completed WUs thus in turn shooting us up the team ranks.
    It's all worth it in the end
  • Jason F Staff said:
    you're only saying that because you're miles out in front :p
    Besides, if we increase the competition between our team members, that will pump up the amount of completed WUs thus in turn shooting us up the team ranks.
    It's all worth it in the end

Yeah, thats what i was thinking... ;)
    Lol.. :laugh:
  • robcoxy said:
    Yeah, thats what i was thinking... ;)
    Lol.. :laugh:

Well then great minds think alike...
    OK my great mind...and then there's you :p haha
  • I realize we are not competing here, a fact that escapes most of our members brains (;)), but I just wanted to congratulate you Lyndon, on hitting the 200 W.U. mark! Excellent job. You were the first one to start folding on your PS3, while most of us couldn't figure out how to get the thing to work. You've never wavered from your task, so you deserve a thumbs up! :)

I am pleased with everyone who has signed up to fold with Absolute Playstation, and it is great to see that we are all regularly contributing (aside from poor old Mike_Capozzi, ha ha).

When I purchased my PS3, way before folding@home was released to its owners, I never would have thought I would be doing something constructive and helpful with my PS3. But lookey at me, I'm a great person... see? See!!?
    lol
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...But lookey at me, I'm a great person... see? See!!?
    lol

well take a looksy at me. I'm not far behind you now MCW, I'm on 47 and you're on 61. I should TECHNICALLY be on 49 because of the name mixup thingy, but i'll let that slide.
    Still gonna take a while to catch Lyn though.

And regardless of what people says, it IS a competition.
    By being a competition between our Team, we Fold more (to try to beat eachother) which leads to a greater accumulation of Folds, thus rocket boosting our Team up the Team Ranking.

And anyone who says different I say to you :p lol
  • Well then great minds think alike...
    OK my great mind...and then there's you haha

You'll pay for that. I challenge you to a quiz of some sort Lol....:laugh:
    We'll see who has the greatest brainpower. lol...

realize we are not competing here, a fact that escapes most of our members brains (), but I just wanted to congratulate you Lyndon, on hitting the 200 W.U. mark! Excellent job. You were the first one to start folding on your PS3, while most of us couldn't figure out how to get the thing to work. You've never wavered from your task, so you deserve a thumbs up!

Yeah well done Lyn really, i challenge you to get to a 1000. ;) Lol....

well take a looksy at me. I'm not far behind you now MCW, I'm on 47 and you're on 61. I should TECHNICALLY be on 49 because of the name mixup thingy, but i'll let that slide.
    Still gonna take a while to catch Lyn though.

MCW, step up your game a little you cant let..... Jay .......:laugh: take you over. Lol...

And regardless of what people says, it IS a competition.
    By being a competition between our Team, we Fold more (to try to beat eachother) which leads to a greater accumulation of Folds, thus rocket boosting our Team up the Team Ranking.

You have a point. I see it as a competiton i must admit. ;)
    But the most important thing is that were helping mankind defeat terrible diseases such as cancer and Parkinsons. Remember that.

And anyone who says different I say to you lol

Ohhhh Scary. Lol....
  • robcoxy said:
    You'll pay for that. I challenge you to a quiz of some sort Lol....:laugh:
    We'll see who has the greatest brainpower. lol...

Sorry I don't use my brain power for showing off. Wouldn't want to show you up (plus being a staff member I automatically win anyway) MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (hehem sorry bout that, went a lil maniacal there :redface:)

ps I'm catching you up MCW, go me go me go me :p
  • robcoxy said:
    Yeah well done Lyn really, i challenge you to get to a 1000. ;) Lol....

Not a problem- check back on my progress by, say, this time next year! :p
  • Jason F Staff said:
    ps I'm catching you up MCW, go me go me go me :p

That's fine, you know I DO watch movies and play games on my PS3, I can't fold 24 hours a day. :rolleyes:

Pass me by if you wish.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    That's fine, you know I DO watch movies and play games on my PS3, I can't fold 24 hours a day. :rolleyes:

Pass me by if you wish.

Huh? U can't? Funny, I can, lol. Well only from Friday mornin til Monday nite.
  • Sorry I don't use my brain power for showing off. Wouldn't want to show you up (plus being a staff member I automatically win anyway) MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (hehem sorry bout that, went a lil maniacal there )

Doh how unfair, you tricky staff members. I hate the lot of you. ;) Lol...

ps I'm catching you up MCW, go me go me go me

Lat time i checked Jay : 60 WU MCW : 62 WU ........ Tension......

Not a problem- check back on my progress by, say, this time next year!

Will do mate. You would be in the top ten of all folders if you did that probably... Or your PS3 would be completely mashed because of the amount of time its had to fold..... :rolleyes:

That's fine, you know I DO watch movies and play games on my PS3, I can't fold 24 hours a day.

It looks like everyone, except Jay and Lyndon, actually play games and movies on their shiny new games consoles, and dont fold 24/7. Lol...
    Only joking there the ones contributing the most to saving people, so i say well done and keep up the good work guys.

Huh? U can't? Funny, I can, lol. Well only from Friday mornin til Monday nite.

Congratulations on reaching the 60+ WU mark. Still not beating MCW though. Better start on thursday and end on tuesday or something like that. Lol....
  • Oh, I've been playing games on it- mostly Super Stardust HD (almost cracked the 20 million for a high score last time).

Quick team update- we are well into the top 3000 now, currently at rank 2808 out of 74,307 teams. Great work people! B)

For those members that as of yet haven't signed up into the Folding@Home project on their PS3 I readily invite you to do so- details on the how-to is in the first post. :)
  • Missed Rob's reply there from earlier this month. I've noticed Rob has been missing from the forum lately... don't much blame him. He's probably reading Harry Potter like me. I realize I am a slow reader, but I should be done by the end of the week. Then, I'll be back and active on the forum. I've got some ideas for some good gaming discussions. I am still trying to remain a little secluded, because everyone is trying to spoil the book for me. Sucks having internet right now.

About folding now. I still do it, not as much though. I need to get into the routine I was at, cutting it on at night for a few hours while watching T.V.

I hadn't looked at the folding rank lately, but it sounds like we're doing pretty good. Won't be long before we crack a thou' ;)

I see you playing Stardust sometimes Lyndon. Still liking it? I know how it is to want that next higher score, just to beat your own old score. I'm that way with Lumines. Did you try Nucleus yet? I downloaded the demo, just haven't had time to try it out. I haven't heard great things though...
  • Had been wondering where you were- should have figured you would be in on the Harry Pothead bandwagon. :p

Yes, still enjoying Super Stardust as much as when i first downloaded it. Well worth the cash. Nucleus, meanwhile, i can't really say the same. I played the starter pack/ demo and soon deleted it.
  • Missed Rob's reply there from earlier this month. I've noticed Rob has been missing from the forum lately... don't much blame him. He's probably reading Harry Potter like me. I realize I am a slow reader, but I should be done by the end of the week. Then, I'll be back and active on the forum.

Yeah sorry guys, i havent had too much time on my hands, with exams and so on, and the rest of my spare time being spent on the PS3. But its pretty much over now and holiday time, so i'll promise to be a lot more active from here on ;)....
    And i picked up HP deathly hallows 2 days ago, only read to page 20 atm, i am a very slow reader too lol, but mainly because i've been busy busy busy.... Anyway, i was tempted to take a glance at the last few pages to see what happens, but i restrained myself lol...
    Cant wait to find out the ending..... :D

About folding now. I still do it, not as much though. I need to get into the routine I was at, cutting it on at night for a few hours while watching T.V.

I got out of my routine aswell, but i've got back in it a little now, i'm still only at 20wu, but once i get going that number should rise pretty quick... :)

I see you playing Stardust sometimes Lyndon.

Every time ive seen you online Lyn you're either folding or on Super stardust HD.. So you must like sshd a lot, as its the only game i've seen you play on lol....

Quick team update- we are well into the top 3000 now, currently at rank 2808 out of 74,307 teams. Great work people!

For those members that as of yet haven't signed up into the Folding@Home project on their PS3 I readily invite you to do so- details on the how-to is in the first post.

Yeah we have really done well guys. And this would be an ideal time for other people to join up, so i second the invitation... ;)
    I think we could crack the top 1000, if we all pull together...
  • Just saw a great link on another guys Signature. If you have been wondering what Folding@Home really is, or how it works, this little animation does a great job of explaining it in and easy to understand way. I think it does a better job than the Stanford U website even.

Even if you have been Folding@home regularly, still watch this video, because it will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling for knowing that you are doing good for this world.

*Note: The vid. focuses on computers doing the Folding, but obviously your PS3 does the same thing, only 100s of times faster than a home computer. The good thing is, you don't have to own a PS3 to Fold, so if you're reading this at all, it means that you are ready to start saving lives today. Get it?*
  • Very good find MC!!

That was a great video and explains the usage of folding much, much better than the stanford site.
  • No problem Mike. I like it when people dumb things down for me ;) But that doesn't make the video any less informative.

If I find anything else related to the Folding project, I'll send it right over :)
  • Yeah that was really informative, a lot of people ask me what Folding is, and still dont understand Folding@Home and Distributed computing when i fail at explaining it to them properly, but that really breaks it down and makes people understand....

Nice find........:)
  • It has been awhile since the last stats update. We are currently sitting at 2093 out of 80,756 teams so we are slowly climbing up the leaderboard.

One thing that is slightly disheartening is we have no new team members at all from the forums since last time. Once again I am putting out the open invite to all Absolute PlayStation members to join our folding team and help make a difference in this cause. Details on how to join the team are in the top post of this thread- those wanting to know more about Folding@Home can reference the video MCWHAMMER has posted above.
  • I just joined the folding@home.I had 23 work units with my old folding team so I guess I'll have to start all over again and start climbing that leaderboard.
    lol.;)
  • Ladies and gentlemen...the champ...is...HERE! B)

Welcome to API and to the folding team, "john". Glad to have you with us!
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Ladies and gentlemen...the champ...is...HERE! B)...

You couldn't resist could you Lyn? :laugh:
  • You and your 400+Wu Lyn...:rolleyes:

And welcome to APi and the folding team too john...
    Glad too see your already doing well on the leaderboards..;):D
  • robcoxy said:
    You and your 400+Wu Lyn...:rolleyes:...

I know what you mean Rob. It seems no matter how hard I try the further away he gets from me. I've just hit the 200 mark so he's like over double my number of Units, it's ridiculous :o i just don't get how he does it :confused:

(Personally, I think he's fiddling it somehow. Like somehow he's managed to sign into his account TWICE on two different machines so he's like doing double the amount. That's my theory anyway, but don't tell anyone it was me who suggested that, ok? :bag:)
  • No, I just have the PS3 on 24/7- when I'm not gaming, checking new store items, updating, etc. I'm folding. :p
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    No, I just have the PS3 on 24/7...

Er,so how long has your PS3 been on continuously for up to like this moment in time? A few days, a week, a couple of weeks, a month? Longer than a month?

I think the longest I've left it on for is about a week two two weeks continuously Folding, but that was like a one off i think it was. Plus I think I possibly missed like a couple of days worth of results because my PS3 must have disconnected from the network for whatever reason so it was stuck on the "Uploading Work Unit" screen. Stupid thing.

That's the only problem I seem to really have with my PS3. It disconnects from the Playstation Network by itself. It's done it quite a efw times now.

Maybe I should leave a message in the PS3 Hardware Help sub-forum and see what help I can get :laugh: lol
  • Other than a couple of times when i was away for a couple of days, have it unplugged due to lightning or we have an unscheduled power outage in the area it hasn't been off. I've pretty much answered the question about if the PS3 overheats.

I've run into the disconnects as well- doesn't affect the folding, though, as the team name and donor name are in the F@H settings.
  • Well for about the last couple of weeks/months !! every time i've been online, which is everyday, Lyns been folding, or playing everybodys golf 5 or superstardust HD on the odd occasion. So as you can imagine he does a lot of Folding.;)

You must leave it on for weeks continously Lyn. So does it overheat...?? :confused:
    I think the longest my PS3 has ever been on is say 15-20hrs.. Its on for at least 6hrs in the evening on weekdays and around 14hrs everyday on the weekends, so it gets a lot of use, but i make sure it gets a break overnight..... But thats just me...:)

And Jason when you started Folding Lyn was on around 200wu i think and now the gap is pretty much the same so, i would say your folding at the same rate even though it doesnt seem that way..:confused:

Anyway well done to both you guys....Just keep up the good work....
    And i'll keep adding to my 48wu... (Which i am very proud of thankyou)
  • robcoxy said:
    ...And i'll keep adding to my 48wu... (Which i am very proud of thankyou)

And so you should be, Rob. Every little bit helps ;) haha :laugh:
  • Well, Rob, you have seen for yourself how often i'm folding- that plus my post above you should answer your question about overheating.

Was going to throw in another team ranking update but got the message about them doing maintenance/ updating their servers. I'll add it in when i can.

EDIT: We are quickly climbing up to the top 2000 teams! As of now we sit at 2005 out of 81,607 teams. Going by the full team list we are only about 1,000 points or so out of the top 2000!

Once again i call upon all Absolute PlayStation members that have a PS3 and have not yet done so to please join team 54263 and help us make it to the top! B)
  • And so you should be, Rob. Every little bit helps haha

Well i'm on 49 now, so there.....:p

Well, Rob, you have seen for yourself how often i'm folding- that plus my post above you should answer your question about overheating.

Yeah- I dont know why i rambled on so much but hey...:) Lol....

We are rising through the ranks well guys, everytime i look we have risen a few places, lets get rising 2000 more, hey...;) :D
  • robcoxy said:
    ...lets get rising 2000 more, hey...;) :D

Let's get rising 2004 more. We wanna be number 1 NOT number 5 ;)
  • We've made some quick strides today- we are now at 1,984, well into the top 2000 teams! Next stop, top 1000! (take it one step at a time, ya know ;) )
  • Let's get rising 2004 more. We wanna be number 1 NOT number 5

Awww you know what i meant, i never was good at Maths at school...Lol...:rolleyes:
    I hope your happy there Jay, knowing you've degraded my maths skills in front of the whole world !!!!!!!!! :(
    Lol..;)

We've made some quick strides today- we are now at 1,984, well into the top 2000 teams! Next stop, top 1000! (take it one step at a time, ya know

Just looked a second ago and we were 1,972 !!!! That was fast - Keep folding, to get into that top 1000...:)
  • robcoxy said:
    Awww you know what i meant, i never was good at Maths at school...Lol...:rolleyes:
    I hope your happy there Jay, knowing you've degraded my maths skills in front of the whole world !!!!!!!!! :(...

Sowwy, it was a purposeful accident, right Rob? You really CAN subtract numbers from other numbes to get a final number.

(He's really a Math's professor people...Ooh, ANOTHER job for you there Rob :laugh: haha)
  • We must be running into some teams that have shut down 9or are just very close together) as we are making some very quick strides here- as of this moment we are at 1968 out of 81,801 teams!

I also noticed we have a new folder on the team as of yesterday- welcome to the Absolute PlayStation folding team, j-m2k7! B)
  • Sowwy, it was a purposeful accident, right Rob? You really CAN subtract numbers from other numbes to get a final number.

You can ???? Must have skipped that part..Lol....;)

(He's really a Math's professor people...Ooh, ANOTHER job for you there Rob haha)

:laugh::laugh: i wonder what are monthly salary is Jay, with all these jobs we must be earning a lot of £££££££ ( or $$$$$$$ for you americans)

We must be running into some teams that have shut down 9or are just very close together) as we are making some very quick strides here- as of this moment we are at 1968 out of 81,801 teams!

I just looked and were now 1,962........ Big Jump there.....

also noticed we have a new folder on the team as of yesterday- welcome to the Absolute PlayStation folding team, j-m2k7!

And guess who directed him here just 2 days ago..... Yes ME...... Same with Johncena411, i led him here too, i am so proud....Together they both have 14WU, (John - 9 and j-m2k7 - 5), so yeah just add that to my total. And that puts me on 54 thanks guys..... Only kidding, dont worry lol...;)
    Well done you 2, keep up the good work....
  • robcoxy said:
    i wonder what are monthly salary is Jay, with all these jobs we must be earning a lot of £££££££ ( or $$$$$$$ for you americans)

Well I can tell you this for free, wherever that ship is with all my money, it's sure as heck ain't in dock. My ship has NOT come in, I think it must be a descendant of the Titanic. Now that WOULD be just my luck, chuffing ship sinking on me. All that precious loot as well :(
    robcoxy said:
    And guess who directed him here just 2 days ago..... Yes ME...... Same with Johncena411, i led him here too, i am so proud....Together they both have 14WU, (John - 9 and j-m2k7 - 5), so yeah just add that to my total. And that puts me on 54 thanks guys..... Only kidding, dont worry lol...;)
    Well done you 2, keep up the good work....

Right, that's it Rob, you've gone too far now. We overlooked the sly comments you've made about this that and the other, but to try to actually STEAL someone elses hard earned WU's? How very dare you?

Take him away girls!

Girls?

Er girls?

(Typical, where IS Jane and Mel when you need them? Honestly, we bumped them up to Security and now they're AWOL again :eek:)

Oh, and in case you're wondering, both Mel and Jane belong to the very secretive GIP (that is Girls In Pink to you and me) so don't mess with them :laugh: lol
  • Well I can tell you this for free, wherever that ship is with all my money, it's sure as heck ain't in dock. My ship has NOT come in, I think it must be a descendant of the Titanic. Now that WOULD be just my luck, chuffing ship sinking on me. All that precious loot as well

They've probably heard about that enormous student Loan your getting, and gave all our ££££ to charity or something...;):laugh:

Take him away girls!

Girls?

Er girls?

(Typical, where IS Jane and Mel when you need them? Honestly, we bumped them up to Security and now they're AWOL again )

Oh, and in case you're wondering, both Mel and Jane belong to the very secretive GIP (that is Girls In Pink to you and me) so don't mess with them lol

Oh so they were the girls who came and took me away earlier today...Wowww....Looking good ladys..;)
    When can i hire the security round here...:)
  • robcoxy said:
    ...When can i hire the security round here...:)

We can't just hire them out to ANYONE. I mean, come on, these girls are trained in many different things to Pink Belt standard (that's even higher than a grand master, don'tcha know?).
    Yeah, I mean, I shouldn't tell you this, but I'll give ONE example and one example only.
    Mel has a Pink Belt in both writing AND drawing. Now that doesn't seem much I hear you say. However, she can write a full page dossier on the movements of trouble makers, AND draw their face and full body, with 100% perfection. She alone has caught ooh I don't know how many now.
    How many people you caught that way Mel now? Just give us a ballpark figure, ok? No need for specifics...100? 500? 1000? I forget exactly now.

So yeah, like I said, Mel and Jane are GOOD (that being the understatement of time itself by the way).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion