Spam. Why are we still getting it?
  • In the live chat on here this past weekend, we discussed spam email for a short while. Doesn't it seem to everyone else that no one is doing anything to stop it?

I get most of my emails in Yahoo!, and I like the Yahoo interface, so I am not keen on switching to another email provider at the moment. Yahoo does a good job of scanning spam for viruses, plus it sends all of the spam emails to my Spam section. But then I have to go and delete it all the time. And sift through it to see if any real emails accidentally got sent to the spam box.

Spam is a collossal waste of time for all of us... cleaning it up, sifting through it, blocking it, filtering it, looking at it. I mean, I feel like the email providers just aren't doing enough to block and STOP this stuff. In the multiple email services I have tried, you can only send stuff to the spam folder, but if you want to permanently block all of their emails, it is a convoluted process, and with some, you cannot even block a sender yet.

I hate Spam. I didn't do anything to deserve it. I thought I had given my email out to only trusted companies and people... somehow spammers always find me. For a while there, I was changing my main email address every 2-3 months just to combat it. Spam filtering has since improved, but not to the point where I like it.

Who else here likes spam? :rolleyes:
  • I don't really get much spam. I have my email through my college and it doesn't get spammed hardly at all. The only spam I get is from some websites that I have ordered things from in the past. Even with those I am able to set it up so my email deletes anything coming from their address.
  • I used to not get hardly any spam email, but lately my yahoo email account has been struck with the spam compulsive disorder. I'm away from my inbox for two seconds and I get 21 new emails messages which are all Spam. I've managed to control my spam problem by unsubscribing to a lot of it...but there are some bits that won't let you unsubscribe...which makes me angry.

There was a Federal Law passed called the Can Spam Act here in the USA so it's meant to decrease the amount of Spam..but yet I wonder, if we get Spam..who are we to report it to? It's not like being on the do not call list or anything.
  • This is why i like using GMail for all my e-mailing needs. Their blockers catch just about all the junk mail sent my way. If one happens to slip by just mark it as spam and google will automatically get it next time they try.

You could solve some of that by going into your yahoo mail options and mark your address as to not sell to third parties. That's how many of these things get addresses- they buy them. Others just mail a load of random addresses and hope to hit some that are actually working.

One way to get rid of spam is to use a "disposable" e-mail address. There are some sites that offer this sort of thing for cases like ordering something from a site. It will work for a certain length of time and then poof- gone. just another dead address on some spam sending list.
  • Melinda S STAFF;45280[COLOR=Red said:
    ..who are we to report it to? It's not like being on the do not call list or anything.[/COLOR">

Exactly. There should be a spam reporting system where people really follow up on it, and shut them down. Because some of these spammers are scamming people out of money. That is in fact a crime, yet nothing is being done to stop it.

Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You could solve some of that by going into your yahoo mail options and mark your address as to not sell to third parties.

One way to get rid of spam is to use a "disposable" e-mail address.

I've never seen that Yahoo mail option... I'll look for it next time I head over there.

I tried those disposable email addresses a couple of times when I signed up for some contest or something... knowing I'd probably get a ton of junk email from it. They work OK, but still, it is a hassle to have to set one up every week just to deal with these punks. :(