Thumbsticks Versus D-Pad
  • [CENTER]image

Thumbsticks V. D-Pad
    Round 1

So, I was thinking about this the other day. Most games, including driving, shooters, and puzzle games, all give you the option of moving things with either the D-Pad (Up, Down, Left & Right) or the analog Thumbsticks (Joystiqs if you will. Excluding Six-axis movement, what do you end up going with?

For me, I somehow always gravitate to the D-Pad. I guess it's because I remember a time back when the PS1 controller had no thumbsticks. Seems like though, half the time I suddenly remember that the thumbsticks exist, and ask myself - 'Why are you using the old-fashioned D-Pad still?'

Some games, it's obvious that one fits the game better than the other, and you can only play it one way, even with the option.

How is it for you? Do you switch between them constantly, or are you dead set on one or the other? Does it depend on the game or genre?

This should make for an interesting discussion.

[/CENTER]
  • I pretty much always go for the analog stick- after a number of years playing with the PlayStation controllers the D-pad just doesn't feel as natural any more. There are a few games that do work better with it but overall i find the sticks give me better feel.
  • I like the D-pad. I've always been used to the d-pad ever since i played GT 1 & 2. Somehow I feel like I have a finer touch with the D-pad.
  • It use to be the d-pad for me, but now its the thumbsticks all the way, couldnt live without them.....:)
  • Depends on the game really...

Driving games, it depends if you can adjust the analogue sensitivity, otherwise i prefer the d-pad.

Pro Evo just does not feel the same with a d-pad anymore, and i have played it since the original PS1 release. Having said that, i take free kicks using the d-pad.

Just goes to show, you can't please one person all the time, never mind them all...............
  • pokerdon said:
    Just goes to show, you can't please one person all the time, never mind them all...............

Well, there is a way to please this one person ;) Just make both available for every game. And for gosh sakes, never make a Sixaxis-only game. It will be quite some time before developers can figure out how to properly use it, not to mention the gamers having to play with it.

Sometimes, as in the case of "Go Sports Ski" for PS3, it's like no one tested the game's control scheme at all, ever, before putting it out in the public. That's unacceptable.

I like the D-pad. I've always been used to the d-pad ever since i played GT 1 & 2. Somehow I feel like I have a finer touch with the D-pad.

I agree. Sometimes it is just all too clear. It's been a while since I played "San Andreas", but I'm pretty sure it's all D-pad that I'm using to drive in that. Everything seems way to messy with an analog stick for me.

Other games, that's the only way to go.
  • Very interesting topic MCW;)

Personally I always have a partiality to the Analog sticks. There are few games on the PS2 that require you use the D-pad. Come to think of it, I have never used the directional pad unless I'm playing Final Fantasy VII or Dance Dance Revolution.:p
  • for racing games, i have adapted to the analog shtick, its just easier to make a more precise turn with it, and rpgs with the analog stick seem to be easier also, instead of going up,down,left,right,diagnol* you can go any direction you want, wihch makes it easier to get some places
  • WELL I LIKE THE THUMB STICK IT MAKES EVERYTHING MUCH BETTER MAYBE NOT FIGHTING GAMES BK IN THE DAY BUT NOW ALLS I USE IS THE THUMB STICK.BUT THE NEW WAY OF JUS MOVING THE PAD IS MADNESS AND WAY TO SWIFT FOR ME DONT THINK ILL EVERY USE THAT ONLY ON THE SUPER RUB A DUB WHICH IS A BEAUTIFUL GAME SHOWS WATER MOVEMENTS BRILL.
  • I'm just like robby, I used 2 use the D-Pad but now i'm in deep love with my analog sticks. ( yet there's a place in my heart 4 chicks ;) :)
  • i agree when analogue cam out for ps 1 with the release of ape escape i was confused by them however when ps2 came out i used them straight away now it feels weird using d pad
  • Well D pad defiantly has its place for scrolling threw menus and using the writing program for the ps3, other than that there just too rectangular, i pefer to use the sticks in any real time situation
  • I favor the D-pad over the thumbstick for driving games only. for some reason, I drive better by using what I like to call "The tapping method" while controlling the car. I even do it on the PSP but only for driving games. Otherwise, I use the stick.
  • Well D pad defiantly has its place for scrolling threw menus and using the writing program for the ps3,

Yeah, thats what i use it for.......:)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion