Online racism.. what's up with that?
  • I was online last night with R.FoM and playing a Death match in the Bus Yard and two players got into a verbal confrontation about one of the players user name..( it was raciest ) They went on and on about how they hated each others people.. Saying things I wouldn't dare post.. The worst part about it was they where adults ( if they so deserve the title ).. And as always it lead to (QUOTE) I'll kick your a** (UNQUOTE) .. I've had it happen to me to.. I mean seriously are they going to come to my state, country, or home and literately kick my a**.. I think not.. I know there are immature people out there but this is the 21st century.. They should kick there self in the a** and join us in the 21st century.. I have kids and I pray to god when they get into online playing there not subjected to this racism.. Are any of the major console company's trying to do anything about this.. I understand that where dealing with mass amount of online players but this really should be addressed..
  • Things like this are why they built in the reporting system.

Unfortunately things like this are all too common in online play because people are a lot braver about what they say when behind a somewhat anonymous username and know the other person is half a world away. You would be in the right to report these guys as the use of racist slurs is against the terms of service of the PlayStation Network and i would think there would be a log of this incident somewhere with Sony or Insomniac.
  • It's shocking - These people are supposed to be grown up but its just downright evil!! I have a friend who is chinese and she has been spat on in the street!!

Gaming has always been a avenue that brings people together!! It only takes loosers like these to spoil it!
  • I honestly believe that you cannot do anything about racism. Yes you can say races are equal, but here in the USA it doesn't matter how many times you write it down, it's not going to change the people who have their beliefs. There are still people in the South who believe certain people are superior to others. The only thing you can really do about it is raise your children to not internalize beliefs of racial superiority.
  • Thank you all for your thoughts.. I was a little angry yesterday when i wrote this.. I have family of a different race..(married into, but still family I care about) So this hit me a little close to home. I've been playing for a while online and haven't come across ignorance like I did the other night..

Lyndon M STAFF wrote:
    Things like this are why they built in the reporting system.

Unfortunately things like this are all too common in online play because people are a lot braver about what they say when behind a somewhat anonymous username and know the other person is half a world away. You would be in the right to report these guys as the use of racist slurs is against the terms of service of the PlayStation Network and i would think there would be a log of this incident somewhere with Sony or Insomniac.

I wasn't sure if the reporting system work in that nature.. I thought it was more for cheaters and glicher's.. But thanks for that info.. Now that I know, I'll know I have some way to help against this kind of hate...
  • shootemhigh said:
    ...I wasn't sure if the reporting system work in that nature.. I thought it was more for cheaters and glicher's.. But thanks for that info.. Now that I know, I'll know I have some way to help against this kind of hate...

The very nature of being able to report people covers all types of things. If something in any way upsets, or, even worse, somehow makes you feel discriminated against in anyway, you should report it.
    Like everyone on here has stated, nobody should feel discriminated against in any way. Everyone has the right to be who they want to be and, in this case, play how they want to play without the fear of being discriminated against in any way, shape or form. We're all human afterall.

That's why we will not condone anything like that on these forums. Slurs against a person is wrong in the first place, but to do it because of their race, culture, or religion is completely forbidden and will not be condoned on these forums.
    It's the exact same policy for all forums and online gaming is now included due to people all around the world being able to play together.

So, if you see anyone doing anything like that be it in online games or on here, just report them in the normal way and they will be dealt with.

Oh, I don't in any way condone such actions or behaviour by the way either. Discrimination of any kind is completely wrong, well negative discrimination I mean of course.

Jay
  • Thanks a lot.. for all the incite and info.. It's nice to know there's somewhere to go and chat with people that accept people for who they are.. I don't mean to sound like a cry baby but like I said, I was a little upset yesterday about this issue.. So thank you all.....
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    There are still people in the South who believe certain people are superior to others.

Believe me Mel, there are people everywhere who think that. Let's not bash "the South", eh? I happen to live in the South and stereotyping is exactly the sort of thing that propagates these types of problems...
  • Chris S STAFF said:
    Believe me Mel, there are people everywhere who think that. Let's not bash "the South", eh? I happen to live in the South and stereotyping is exactly the sort of thing that propagates these types of problems...

Sorry Chris, I too have family in "the South", this is how I know about their judgmental predispositions. I did not mean to come off that the whole South is bad. Just meant to say that there are a few bad apples in the land of tolerance.

I don't doubt that there are people everywhere (my own city included) who have a racist disposition. Like I said though, I'm sure it probably comes from parents and perpetuates that way.
  • The way people talk to each other online is ridiculous.

The biggest thing I can't stand is to hear the 6 year olds screaming and cursing. Shouldn't these kids be grounded or something? and what are they doing online at 2 in the mourning?

I also can't stand to hear everyone misuse the word rape online. Thats a serious term and shouldn't be used in the manner it kids use it today.
  • LOL... and when people say pawnage or I pawned you....lol...I always want to say "Well I hope you got a good price for me" LOL As far as the racist comments it makes me wonder if the people that are having troubles getting online ARE the ones that are getting reported for their behavior. just a thought... Anyway I think any foul attitude SHOULD get reported afterall gamming should be fun!....Cheers!
  • Its everywhere......with every game. Every game that I have played online, there is always some moron who thinks just because he/she is hiding behind an electronic blanket of anonymous...err.....animosity..:confused: (You guys know what i'm trying to say. ), that they can say whatever they want without any physical confrontation. I've always been in game rooms where if sombody acts like that and the option is there, they get the boot. Otherwise, if they are persistant in making a fool of themselves, I either 1....leave and find another room or 2... make it a point to seek out that person each and every time I could and beat others to the kill untill he/she gets so frustrated, they leave. My team or not. It may be wrong but it gets the point across.

Nec