A sad day for the beautiful game...
  • Today England's chances of gaining entry into the European Championship were finally put to the sword, just like the England team themselves.

In a bizarre twist that would have St. George turning in his tomb, Croatia put England to the metaphoric sword like St. George did to the dragon all those centuries ago.

Yes folks, the inventors of the Beautiful Game that is football (I'm sorry but it is NOT Soccer, it is Football) have finally had their chances of a busy summer next year snatched from them.

Given a lifeline not even a week ago, England's qualification chances for Euro 2008 were back in their own grasp. The result? Well after a HUGE mistake by the English keeper, Carson, and a woeful defensive effort by our team, we were 2 goals down after not even quarter of an hour.

The match stayed like that until a double substitution at half-time (Beckham was one of the two brought on) seemed to change the flow of the game.
    A soft, but certainly deserved, penalty decision went against Croatia finally giving us the lifeline we required. A superbly struck penalty by Frank Lampard pulled a goal back.
    Croatia were suddenly on the backfoot.
    A superb piece of Beckham class resulted in an all too familiar Beckham pinpoint cross which perfectly picked out the advancing Peter Crouch who chested the ball down and struck the most beautiful volley you could ever ask for and suddenly it was 2-2 and we were finally back on course for qualification.

Croatia brought on two substitutes in quick succession, and one of the new Croat players passed a ball to the other young player and suddenly, thanks to another woeful piece of defending by Gods own football team, we were behind again.

After scraping our way back into contention, we had just thrown away our last chance of qualification.

Even though we had a few chances to equalise, the best of the chances still fell to Croatia, who looked like they were going to score every time they went forward.

3 minutes of stoppage time was added on at the end of the full 90 minutes and, even though we had a few half chances including a corner, we just couldn't break through for that all important 3rd goal.

Once the final whistle went, we were having to rely on Russia conceding an equalising goal to a team who haven't won a single match in 29 qualifiers and who had only scored the once and conceded 30 goals.

3 minutes later and England were confirmed as non entrants for the Euro 2008 championship.

What a sad day for the beautiful games country of origin :(

Jay
  • Im so glad England didnt get through - FOr too long our so called football players have lived a celebrity lifestyle and lets face it they do nowt!

Im so happy that Heat magazine will not be filled with pictures of victoria bloody beckham wearing a different outfit every hour and we will be able to go into pubs through the summer without football being forced on us!!

I love the game - but our team sucks - and the sooner they stopped prancing about in aftershave adverts and started playing the game the better!
  • What happened to the days when at least we could get through to the 1/4 finals of the world cup, now we lose too the likes of Croatia and Russia !!!!!!!!

Whats worse is that we were done a favour from Israel and all we needed was a draw from in my opinion a half-decent squad of croatians.......And then we lose........I might go and cry again...........:(

I dont think it was right to sack Mclaren though, now they're gunna have to find another manager, and they're a little thin on the ground at the minute i believe.........Mclaren was quality aswell, its just that the whole England squad aren't what they used too be ! Not the Managers fault i believe he did what he could and what anyone else could........:)
  • robcoxy said:
    ...I dont think it was right to sack Mclaren though, now they're gunna have to find another manager, and they're a little thin on the ground at the minute i believe.........Mclaren was quality aswell, its just that the whole England squad aren't what they used too be ! Not the Managers fault i believe he did what he could and what anyone else could........:)

Er first off I agree with what Jane said about our so called England Players being like overpaid advertising models. To think, the England player earn more in a week then the whole Croatian team do in a year yet they managed to outplay us for about er 60 minutes ish.

As for what you said Rob...McLaren deserved to be sacked. He had the so called best talent available yet his tactics (if you can call them that) were well and truly off the mark.
    4-5-1? How could he? 4-3-3 was a load of rubbish, it was 4-5-1. Why didn't he bring becks on as soon as they scored the second goal? or at least on about the half hour mark. It would only have been an extra fifteen minutes, but who knows? It may have made a huge difference.
    Like my dad said to me. Those England players should all lose the money they got for that match and have to give it to say Children In Need or something...it's not like the players need that extra money do they?

They're a bunch of overpaid, underworked, lacklustre wannabe stars. Ronaldinho has, unfortunately, got more skill and love of the game in one of his feet then the entire combined amount from the entire England team.

Oh and on the sidenote of next England manager? I agree with the great Norman Hunter (Leeds star of the past and England star as well) whom suggested The "Special One". Yes, my vote goes to Jose Mourinho as the next England Manager. He's done it all with Porto and Chelsea, next up should be England. Just imagine what he could do for our national team if he took over. World Cup 2012 champions. 46 years later after our first, and unfortunately only, World Cup win. And who knows? perhaps repeat the feat at the 50th anniversary cup since our first world cup championship.

So let's start a petition...

(starts a football chant!)
    "Mourinho for England!"
    "Mourinho for England!"
    "Mourinho for England!"
  • He had the so called best talent available

Thats my point, i dont think he did. The squad wasn't world class, never mind the manager.......:rolleyes:

I do agree, that he did put out a squad that i wouldnt dream of putting out, missing out Beckham for one, but we should have still beat them with that squad...........

Yes, my vote goes to Jose Mourinho as the next England Manager.

Arrrrrrrhhhhh he is one of the best managers in the world, but i cant stand him. Even though what he did at Chelsea and Porto was outstanding, i think he is an overpaid pig....... I would much rather have Harry Redknapp managing the squad or Steve Bruce if he would accept but not him. I just dont think Jose's right for the job........I dont think he would accept it either......
  • robcoxy said:
    ...Arrrrrrrhhhhh he is one of the best managers in the world, but i cant stand him. Even though what he did at Chelsea and Porto was outstanding, i think he is an overpaid pig....... I would much rather have Harry Redknapp managing the squad or Steve Bruce if he would accept but not him. I just dont think Jose's right for the job........I dont think he would accept it either......

Excuse me? Harry? er no way! he wouldn't do anything and Bruce isn't good enough to manage a national side, not yet anyway, if he ever will be of course.
    And I think Jose would accept actually if he was offered, and he would get a LOT of support as manager from both players AND fans, which is a big plus. Love Chelsea or Hate them, Jose was a great manager for them.
  • Ok what about Sam allardyce, he is quality !!!!!

And i know Jose is a great manager, but would he gel with the team ???? Thats one thing i dont think Mclaren did.........:(
  • yes big sam should of been manager to begin with but he dont want to do it now ithink rafa would be a good choice.
  • Yeah Sam's a great manager, (Dont mention the Liverpool Vs Newcastle game on Saturday Lol......).......

Yeah rafa's a good option too, but i dont think he would take it either, being a spaniard n all........:rolleyes:

You do know that the one and only Alan Shearer has been interviewed for the job. Now how would that turn out........:)
  • he's a legend but if he messed it up he wouldnt no more and i would hate to have to hurl abuse at shearer.
  • Yeah me too, i dont think he's ready for the job yet, but i'd love to see him be involved with the England team somehow.......:)
  • Its Jose all the way for me and Im a utd fan.The national team are an overpaid disgrace not qualifying after Israel did us a favour and only he can sort this bunch out!