• i am getting a ps3 for xmas
    is there any program i may need
    please tell me how to setup a network connection
  • Welcome to Absolute PlayStation, Dylan. B)

You don't need any extra programs with the PS3, pretty much everything is taken care of right on the console.

As for your connection, go to the Settings menu on the PS3 and at the bottom you will find Network Settings- this is where you set up your PS3's connection to the internet. For most people going for the Easy/ Automatic settings will work. In some cases, however, some things may need to be entered manually. Do you plan on going with a wired or wireless conection? Do you have a router to share your net connection with the PC?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Welcome to Absolute PlayStation, Dylan. B)

You don't need any extra programs with the PS3, pretty much everything is taken care of right on the console.

As for your connection, go to the Settings menu on the PS3 and at the bottom you will find Network Settings- this is where you set up your PS3's connection to the internet. For most people going for the Easy/ Automatic settings will work. In some cases, however, some things may need to be entered manually. Do you plan on going with a wired or wireless conection? Do you have a router to share your net connection with the PC?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    yeh i do
  • I take it the yes is for the router. You should be able to get the PS3 online with all automatic settings if nothing special has been done on the router such as encryption.

Until you actually do get your PS3 you may want to check out the user manual for it. You'll find the basic instructions on how your net connection gets set up in Settings and then down to Network Settings. You'll also find some answers to some particulars in the other threads here.