PS3 HD out of the box (sorry guys, im a noob!)
  • Hey there,

my parents have got my little bro a PS3 for xmas, and im confused as to how HD ready it is out of the box? We've got a 52" HD job by Philips, and wondering if its worth getting a HDMI cable for the PS3? it all depends what resolution the analogue leads included display at in our opinion.

For instance, if the analogue lead displays a 720 resolution, we'll probably just stick with it, but if it only gives out the resolution at like 480 (or whatever it is!) then clearly on a bigger screen the HDMI lead is worth a punt?

cheers guys, sorry for asking a question probably as old as the PS3 is itself! i just cant seem to find an answer for the average joe on the net! seriously, we'll put up with 720 for the time being if it means we dont have to trudge out into crimbo shopping again!!!

all the best everyone, happy holidays!
  • Danny...

To me, the only benifit of an HDMI cable is that its just one wire. To view your PS3 in HD, you could go with either an HDMI cable or a set of componant cables. Visually, you wont be able to tell the difference.
  • I have to disagree. For the true HD experience, it is best to use a HDMI cable for the picture output. Yes you can use other connection, including component cables, but the HDMI cable was created specifically for High-Definition viewing whereas the other cables have been around since before HD.

Your choice in the end Danny, but that's my suggestion anyway.
    It's more a personal choice though.

Jay
    Site Squad
  • youve got a huge tv get a hdmi cable make the most of it most people arent that fortunate get the cable it would be quality gaming experience.
  • Jason F Staff said:
    I have to disagree. For the true HD experience, it is best to use a HDMI cable for the picture output. Yes you can use other connection, including component cables, but the HDMI cable was created specifically for High-Definition viewing whereas the other cables have been around since before HD.

Your choice in the end Danny, but that's my suggestion anyway.
    It's more a personal choice though.

Jay
    Site Squad

I do agree with you Jay. It is BEST to go with the HDMI but I purchased a good set of monster cable componant (HD) cables and a monster cable HDMI cable and visually, there wasnt that much of a difference. I have a 42" Samsung LCD. My point was that you can get a quality HD picture from both types of cables.
  • I would say go 4 hdmi

why do you guys "purchase" the HDMI cable?
    I got mine with my ps3 (It was in the box :o)
    you don't have to Buy it
  • Mine did not come with one. (40gb version)
  • mine did (60 gig version)
  • ah thanks for the advice guys. yeah i have no idea which version my parents got yet (im a student living away from home you see!) well no bother, even if they did get the 40 Gb version, it'll be playable at least on the day. we'll head out and get a HDMI lead if need be a few days after.

cheers everyone! merry xmas!