Final Fantasy XII controller glitch?
  • I'm very early in the game (second scenario) - haven't fought the rats yet. I can't get the Select button or Triangle button to work. Is this normal? Do you have any suggestions?
  • Do they work at this part of the game? I thought they only worked later on?
  • I may be farther in than I indicated. I'm looking for someone to get the mission that sends me to, according to the walkthroughs, kill some rats. I've already killed a few at the start of the scene. There have been messages from the game about using the buttons, so I figure i'm supposed to.
  • wtf? mine too. i finished the game a year ago, but got a hankerin' to play it, and can't use select, or triangle. but, when you can use triangle to see a conversation log.
    and those buttons don't work on my old save game either, right at the end of the game.
    this is on the collector's edition, also.

W T F

oh, and i have 2 consoles, and i tried both. I only have one controller, tho.
  • We were able to get some information from SquareSoft indicating that they had problems in the office with model A controllers (the number is on the bottom of the controller) but H or M controllers worked. There were problems as well with non-Sony controllers. Well, we had a Model A. We went out and bought a new controller (It turns out it was a model A as well) and everything is working fine now. Apparently, with some games, the controllers just have problems when they get old. At least, our model A did. One of these days I will get around to taking it apart and cleaning it. I will post the results when I do.

We had a problem with Okage with the same controller, where we could no longer save games. The new controller fixed this as well.
  • i went out and got myself an M marked controller. the people in EBGames were all like "wtf is he doing?"

haha. then i hit one, and drove home in my bmw.

well, part of that is true. but the M controller worked fine.

the weirdest part is, is i went thru this game a year ago, with this controller, machine, memory card, and same copy of the game. now i had to get a new controller. wtf?
  • After reading all this, so far you all have said it's the controller...what happens if I just paid $160 USD for a brand new PS2 and controller...the buttons work on all other games, but this one it's not working...they work in the chat logs to view the rest of the logs, but they don't work ingame to pull up map or options...anyone got any ideas?
  • n00B_mUrdEr said:
    After reading all this, so far you all have said it's the controller...what happens if I just paid $160 USD for a brand new PS2 and controller...the buttons work on all other games, but this one it's not working...they work in the chat logs to view the rest of the logs, but they don't work ingame to pull up map or options...anyone got any ideas?

hey man. my brothers new ps2 did the same thing as mine. you NEED the controller that has an M on it.

It'll be by the company name on the back:

Sony Computer Entertainment America M

like that.
  • What exactly is the difference between the two??? Is it just one has an M and one has a A??? WTF?!?!? My friend's Madcat's controller works fine...so I'm saying **** sony and using madcats...they can get stuff straight I guess...
  • There would be a slight change made inside the controller between the two models- maybe a slightly smaller board inside, different circuitry, etc.. I guess Final fantasy XII wasn't oin their test cycle with the new changes (if there was a test phase).
  • exactly. who knows why it doesn't work with the game. i know the M ones do, since I went out and scoured EB Games for one. Of course, once I found the controller, i didnt want to play it any more. haha.

it's just so weird how the buttons work for certain things. weird.
  • Ok, so what everyone is saying is that if you can't use triangle or select, you have to check what controller you have and if its A get a new one, M. I'm glad someone actually had the same problem I did, I was kinda pissed because I thought I got gipped. But Thanks, I plan on getting an M controller very soon!!
  • naw, man. i was in your boat.
    weird thing is, is i SWEAR i used the same controller to go throught the game a year ago... but i did lend my controller to a friend, so i mighta got a different one back.... i was SO mad when it wouldnt work. same deck, same memory card, same game, same controller (aparently im wrong on that one though)
  • No...garden...I played 50% of the game just fine...then all of a sudden I wake up in the morning, kick it on, and it don't work...so I decided to scour the planet to figure out why the hell my last 50 hours was completely wasted...LOL

So it was he same controller, system, memory card, and everything... :P Just a random screw up...
  • another weird thing to add, is my friend has a slim line ps2, and an A controller, and she's playing it fine. WHAT THE H***??!

try getting a third party controller. my logitech wireless works.