"Selected for Home Beta"....sounds like BS!
  • Today I received a PSN message from a user named PSN06149 or PSNO6149 telling me that I was selected to "participate in the free Home Beta" (verbatim).

Now this user said I needed to send them my sign-in id and password so they can "upload the beta into your Store" (again, verbatim).

Sounded pretty fishy to me, so I sent them a nasty note back, and reported the username to the PSN for criminal activity (fraud, for trying to obtain my personal information under false pretenses).

Did I overreact, or does this sound like somebody was actually fishing for stuff that I shouldn't (and wouldn't) give them? Is there another place I can report them since the Sony reporting system didn't give me any way to describe what this user did?

There was no profile for this user, and I seriously doubt they work for Sony.

Anybody else get anything similar?
  • I'm not saying that it is true or false because I do not know. However, you might want to check this information out.

PS3 Open Home Beta To Kick Off April 18th? - Neowin Forums

Nec
  • Thanks for the link.

The dates in my email were different, and I just find it hard to believe that anyone is going to ask for my username/password in an email. That's one of the cardinal rules of the internet- NEVER give out your UN/PW.

Why the hell would they need my password to load something up to my store? If they actually work for Sony, they should already have all that info.
  • I wouldnt give my information out. Not even to test beta stuff.
  • Good move, I would never give info out to strangers.
  • You definitely did not over react- that was the proper thing to do. Sony would never ask for your account details via psn messages or any other means of communication. When it comes to betas, they will contact via e-mail using the info they already have of you- no need to ask for additional info.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You definitely did not over react- that was the proper thing to do. Sony would never ask for your account details via psn messages or any other means of communication. When it comes to betas, they will contact via e-mail using the info they already have of you- no need to ask for additional info.

That's pretty much what I thought. I hope they look into this a-hole's activities.

What if I'd been some little kid who didn't know any better? Or just thought it was legit, and this guy gets access to my online wallet?
  • Yes well done for being careful and reporting this guy. You've helped a lot of people who may have fell for this guy and been stripped of all their hard-earned cash sitting in their bank account or wallet. Thumbs up to you Red_Sprint...:D

Sony will deal with this guy i'm sure. It's a severe case so an ip address ban or something similar will probably be waiting for that guy...;)
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    Yes well done for being careful and reporting this guy. You've helped a lot of people who may have fell for this guy and been stripped of all their hard-earned cash sitting in their bank account or wallet. Thumbs up to you Red_Sprint...:D

Thank you very much!

Sony will deal with this guy i'm sure. It's a severe case so an ip address ban or something similar will probably be waiting for that guy...;)

I sure hope so.
  • I must agree, infact I reported all of u to the 'Mind Police' for your illigal thoughts...