Family Guy VS. South Park
  • In your mind, which animated TV show wins the war: Family Guy or South Park?

I have been watching South Park for many years, longer than Family Guy. I started watching Family Guy when it was brought back from the dead by Fox. I love both of the shows, and they are very similar in nature. Every week, one of the two shows tops the other, so it seems they are competing in their own unique way...

I do want to debate the finer points of these complex shows (;)) with you, but I'll let you make your points first. Take the poll and then explain your choice, if you would.
  • I have to give the nod to South Park here. To me, Family Guy tries a bit to hard to be funny with sitcom- style situations and doesn't quite get there. South Park, meantime, stays relevant to current happenings and gives them a good, swift kick into the nether regions.
  • Family Guy tops South Park on my list easily. I think South Park (based on my experience with it) uses too commonly the bathroom type humor which wouldn't be too bad...except the fact that it gets used way too much. It's just a sort of repellant to me.

I like Family Guy for it's slapstick and satire because it pulls those off very well.
  • I love both, but I have to go with South Park. I have watched that show for longer. I think that sometimes Family guy goes to far with a particular idea. For instance, when Peter becomes a pro football player. When he is on the London Sissy Nanies he does a song about shapoopie. That song wasn't that funny and it took up like 3-5 mins of the show.
  • Mike C STAFF said:
    I love both, but I have to go with South Park. I have watched that show for longer. I think that sometimes Family guy goes to far with a particular idea. For instance, when Peter becomes a pro football player. When he is on the London Sissy Nanies he does a song about shapoopie. That song wasn't that funny and it took up like 3-5 mins of the show.

Exactly. Shapoopie pretty much says it all :p.

Most South Park episodes seem to be designed for smarter people with bigger attention spans. Family Guy likes to constantly drop the one-liners about actors you have to go google to understand. I voted for South Park in this one.
  • im a family sort of guy, and thats about all there is to say.
  • South Park. Family guy is good but its the same jokes everytime! South park just doesnt care and they just get on with it!!
  • I was a South Park watcher for a very long time, but just sort of fell away. I am a definate Peter Griffin fan, just that kind of humour and the constant take offs of other shows is great. Still do watch South Park at times and find that pretty funny. I must admit I don't mind Drawn Together, to me it is a little bit cruder than south park even.
  • I like southpark alot, but I dont like it when theres all the constant swearing and stuff, even though family guy has a bit of swearing, south park is one of my favourite shows, but I like family guy a little bit more, random flashbacks and stuff you just wouldn't expect to happen can be quite funny :p But south park is still really good and Characters like Mr hanky are the best :D
  • WAT KINDA WIRDO DOSNT LIKE SOUTH PARK OR FAMILY GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................................................................. oh actualy i do know some 1 but he don like eny cartoon comadys well he doesent like enything ingeneral exept math
  • towelie: mmmm i need a plan but first ill get a lil high

[quote from south park]
  • Family Guy for the win! South Park is just simply to vulgar for my tastes. Family Guy on the other hand is a bit more "classy" if I can use that word to describe the show.
  • VexalUntil said:
    Family Guy for the win! South Park is just simply to vulgar for my tastes. Family Guy on the other hand is a bit more "classy" if I can use that word to describe the show.

Totally agree with ya there! I didn't mind south park until Cartman started talking about giving people Hitlers. Not particularly something I cared to watch. Family Guy is a show that I can at least feel confident of someone walking in and not wanting to vomit over the grossness.
  • Am i allowed to change my mind? Family guy is fabulous and southpark has gone pretty poor recently!!
  • I got to say famly guy is funny
  • I got to say family guy is funny:D
  • I have to give the vote to Family Guy. I used to like South Park (and still like Cartman), but South Park has pretty well run its course.

I have laughed out loud more than a few times with Family Guy...besides, it insults a lot of people...which makes it tops in my book; especially in this "sensitive, PC dominated" world.
  • Hmm, old topic, but then again i havnt been here in awhile ill put my say anyway. I dont watch either very often, but i greatly enjoy south park, whereas if family guy is too me, amusing to absoutly horrible. South park has its dull episodes, but family has its retarded episodes. They overdue the same joke for so long sometimes, and it seems the only way they can put mostof their jokes into their episodes is to make an irelevant flash back every 5 mins. Also every family song ive heard except the theme song, SUCKS. South park had a theme song nominated for a grammy (or howevr u spell it)
    Dont get me wrong, when family guy is funny its really funny, but the writters sometimes seem even lazier than the animators for southpark.