I have a new job!!
  • Yes i have a new job - i am now going to be working for the NHS at Whiston Hospital in the pharmacy dept.!!! Im very excited!!!
  • Congratulations!!!! I know you have worked very hard and I wish you great success in your new endeavor. How is chris doing??

As for me I still work at red lobster, but I am a bartender instead of a server now. I graduate from college in a few months so hopefully I can find a good job, but with the US economy as of late its not looking so good.
  • Our economy is in a similar state hun - chris is fine playing with the new PS3!! His job is looking iffy for the next year he fits kitchens and bedrooms and with the current credit crunch not a lot of people can afford to buy them!!!

Hope you get a fab job when you graduate!!
  • Congrats on the new placement, Jane- no doubt you'll be kept busy there! :p

Things are going good for me at the call center (been there since July)- much better than a seafood plant (which is looking real iffy this year considering the market conditions right now). Think I picked the perfect time to get out of there!
  • Think a lot of places are feeling the pinch lyn - (the seafood place would with all the lobster and crab claws - pinch geddit!!!)
    Its scary at the moment all the places that are going into liquidation and closing, the UK high street some of the biggest stores are closing its a scary time. And i read that a couple of game developers have gone too -- the one that did timesplitters whos name evades me at this moment!!

Am very glad your new job is working out for you!!
  • Yep- Midway is fighting off their debt, Free Radical (the studio you were thinking of) is closed, Factor 5 (makers of Lair), Crystal Dynamics trimming down... the list keeps growing.

I'll refrain from making any coments on the pinch joke other than that was BAD! :rolleyes:
  • You kidding me - it was good and you know it lol!!!!

Yeah it seems to be touching every industry - even ones that were relativly safe before are feeling it - even pharmaceuticals.
  • Hmmmm, not sure why games publishers would feel the pinch, the games industry is one of the few to actually increase sales, and i mean a MASSIVE increase.

People don't have as much money to play with, they stay in, they get friends round they play games, be it video or board games.

I think the companies listed previousley were having problems already, lets face it HAZE sucked and put paid to Free Radical in 1 foul stroke.

Just my opinion, i could be and usually am wrong!
    PS. Almost forgot why i posted, congrats Jane, still only down the East Lancs to work for you then!!
  • pokerdon said:
    Hmmmm, not sure why games publishers would feel the pinch, the games industry is one of the few to actually increase sales, and i mean a MASSIVE increase.

People don't have as much money to play with, they stay in, they get friends round they play games, be it video or board games.

I think the companies listed previousley were having problems already, lets face it HAZE sucked and put paid to Free Radical in 1 foul stroke.

Just my opinion, i could be and usually am wrong!
    PS. Almost forgot why i posted, congrats Jane, still only down the East Lancs to work for you then!!

Sales may be going up but so do the costs of making said games (salaries, advertising, distribution, development of games). It takes more sales of a game to just break even and, to be honest, this hasn't been happening very often. Between this and the amount of money lost to piracy (which is in the billions every year) along with used game sales (which the game companies see nothing from) it has been getting harder for them to get by.