Dreaded DNS errors
  • Hi, all! I'm new here, but I'm having some serious issues with my PS3.

Okay, first off, my PS3 worked just fine for about a year. The network settings I had worked until a month ago, when it suddenly started giving me DNS errors. I can sign in and send messages and use the browser, but when I try to play online, no matter what game it is, it gives me an error and signs me out. I've called everybody. My ISP blames it on Sony. Sony blames it on Netgear. Netgear blames it on my ISP.

I think I have everything set up correctly. My PS3 has a static IP. UPnP is enabled. I've opened all the TCP and UDP ports required. Just to be sure, I've also put it in the DMZ. I turned off the router's firewall. I opened ports on my PC's firewall. Installing Bonjour did nothing. I finally got desperate, and I am using a wired connection instead of wifi.

I started out with the DNS numbers my ISP gave me, but those stopped working. So I switched to the Verizon servers (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1), and that worked for two weeks, then stopped. So I switched to OpenDNS, and that worked for about five days. Every DNS I switch to only seems to work for a limited time.

I can't tell you how many times I've reset everything to default and started over. I power cycle the modem, router and PS3, but it does nothing. I set everything to auto detect, and it does nothing. Nothing seems to work, and I don't know why. Why the sudden errors, when I didn't have them before?

Any help you could give would be great.

EDIT: I thought I would add that these errors started occurring about a week after getting a new computer, which meant a switch from XP to Vista. Turning off the Vista firewall didn't do anything, but I don't know if it could be doing something else. The other change was that I'd just installed the latest firmware update for the PS3 a day or two before I started getting the errors.
  • When you check the connection status, what NAT type are you getting, if is NAT 3 you will be unable to connect to online games.

Although, when i was using a wireless connection, with a netgear router, i did everything you say you have done and had no problems, and i also used Open DNS.

Have you checked the firmware on your router, that may need upgrading. I think you can check for updates from within the router settings pages.

Let me know how you get on.
  • I have a NAT2 connection, and my router has the latest firmware. I tried to find a driver for the chipset in my router, because I've heard those usually work better, but there isn't one available for the model I use.
  • In the router settings, have you entered the MAC address of the PS3 as a trusted wireless access station.

Try that and report back.
  • pokerdon said:
    In the router settings, have you entered the MAC address of the PS3 as a trusted wireless access station.

Try that and report back.

Yes. I also use the DHCP to set that MAC address with a static IP.
  • Hmmm, not sure what to suggest, will check a few things and get back to you.
  • Have you tried to disbale media shring in your network connection settings?

I know i am beginning to clutch at straws here!!
  • Also, i just noticed in your 1st post, DISABLE UPnP, can cause all sorts of trouble.
  • pokerdon said:
    Also, i just noticed in your 1st post, DISABLE UPnP, can cause all sorts of trouble.

On the router, PS3, or both?
  • Disable UPnp on PS3, if that doesn't work try it on the router also.

Also make sure your medai sharing is switched off on your PC.
  • pokerdon said:
    Disable UPnp on PS3, if that doesn't work try it on the router also.

Also make sure your medai sharing is switched off on your PC.

Okay. Turning UPnP off on the PS3 seems to have fixed it. Media sharing was already turned off. Let's see how long it works! I can see coming right back here in a few days. :g:
  • Sigh. I played for five minutes, and I got a DNS error. So I turned off UPnP on my PC, and it's still not working.
  • Can you connect ok via a wired connection?

If so, connect via that, then start over again with the wireless connection set up.

Use the automatic settings, even when using Open DNS, the playstation will pick up settings from your router.

I cannot think of any other reason that the error keeps re-occuring, could be that if you enter the DNS servers manually in the PS3 settings, when Open DNS updates this may disconnect your PS3.
  • pokerdon said:
    Can you connect ok via a wired connection?

If so, connect via that, then start over again with the wireless connection set up.

Use the automatic settings, even when using Open DNS, the playstation will pick up settings from your router.

I cannot think of any other reason that the error keeps re-occuring, could be that if you enter the DNS servers manually in the PS3 settings, when Open DNS updates this may disconnect your PS3.

I AM on a wired connection! But I'll try it again with auto settings.
  • Wired connection with OpenDNS, UPnP disabled, and everything else set to auto worked for a few minutes at a time, but keeps giving me DNS errors and signing me out.
  • pokerdon said:
    When you check the connection status, what NAT type are you getting, if is NAT 3 you will be unable to connect to online games.

Although, when i was using a wireless connection, with a netgear router, i did everything you say you have done and had no problems, and i also used Open DNS.

Have you checked the firmware on your router, that may need upgrading. I think you can check for updates from within the router settings pages.

Let me know how you get on.

yea i understand what you are saying if someone has N A T 3 OR 4 YOU will have trouble with online games and if someone has some sertain firewalls it will happen also
  • What security software are you using.

Make sure you have identyfied the PS3 within that and given it FULL TRUST status, this will aloow uninterupted trafic between PS3 and your router.
  • pokerdon said:
    What security software are you using.

Make sure you have identyfied the PS3 within that and given it FULL TRUST status, this will aloow uninterupted trafic between PS3 and your router.

Just the firewall that comes with Vista. There is a firewall installed on my router as well, but I turned it off per their instructions.
  • When you set up your PS3 settings did you enter in any DNS server settings manually or did you leave that as automatic? If you went auto go into the PS3's network settings and edit in the DNS servers shown in the router's status/ summary page.
  • Thanks Lynodon, kinda running outta ideas here, i have had a few DNS errors, but only signed out, i can get straight back in and its very rare.

Can't understand as setup seems pretty similar to my own.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    When you set up your PS3 settings did you enter in any DNS server settings manually or did you leave that as automatic? If you went auto go into the PS3's network settings and edit in the DNS servers shown in the router's status/ summary page.

I entered the OpenDNS numbers manually. I entered the same numbers in my router. I've heard that's supposed to fix this problem, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
  • No new ideas? I'd like to get this working again before Ghostbusters comes out.
  • The DNS numbers that were in the router should have been matching up with your internet provider's servers. You may want to contact them and see if there are any discrepencies.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    The DNS numbers that were in the router should have been matching up with your internet provider's servers. You may want to contact them and see if there are any discrepencies.

I've got Roadrunner, and they issue DNS numbers dynamically. When I called and asked them for numbers, they said to use the auto detect option on my router. When I said I needed static numbers to enter on the Playstation, they finally gave me two numbers. Those only worked for awhile, though. When I called again, they specifically told me to use the OpenDNS numbers. I figured the numbers in the router and Playstation should match, so I'm using the OpenDNS numbers on both.

This is weird, but my connection is working today. I haven't touched my router's settings in a week, and now it's suddenly working. The only thing that changed was that I unplugged my PS3 because there was a storm. When I plugged it back in, it started working. Is this a fix? I'm not confident it will work for long.
  • You never know, i was confused as to why your connection wasn't working, as it is very similar to my own set up and i have no problems at all.

HOPEFULLY, you should be ok, if not i will post a step by step set up using MY system to see if we can spot what is going wrong.

Good luck Kastle!!!
  • Hey! I thought I'd post to update you guys. I figured out what was causing the errors. It was my Wii!

When I unplugged everything during a storm, the PS3 started working again when I plugged it back in. But when I plugged in the Wii, it bumped the PS3. I tried it again, unplugging everything, and it did the same thing. The Wii was bullying my Playstation.

So I guess add that to the list of fixes--the Playstation needs to have a separate IP number from any other consoles, or the other consoles should just be unplugged. I can't believe that was what caused the problem.

Thanks for all the help, you guys!
  • HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well spotted Kastle, new it had to be something simple as your setup is almost the same as mine.

Happy online gaming!!!!!