• hi guys,
    tried connecting up to the internet to first of all update the firmware then to download gran turismo HD but could not connect. I have solved the issue with firmware as i just used my ipod to update but was still curious as to how to connect to the internet. I have read through some of the previous posts on how to configure IPs and the rest but have not come across a solution.
    This is the latest:
    obtain ip : successful
    internet connection : failed
    error occured during communication with the server. This is a DNS error (80710102).
    If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. THANKS !
  • This is using a wireless connection I take it? If so most likely part of the problem stems from the PS3's poor wifi card. You should try a wired connection if possible.
  • No, its using a wired connection.. any thoughts?
  • Only thing I can think of is there is a setting you made someplace that is just off enough to throw things off. The instructions i give in other posts revolve around the use of a wired or wireless router- are you using one?
  • neither.. using a wired cable modem with router capabilities - motorola sb5100.. is it good enough?
  • It should be but you may want to consider using a dedicated router such as the Linksys WRT54G and disabling the router portion of th Motorola altogether.
  • try unplugging and plugging back in the router unplug for about 10 secs
  • still nothing after unplugging and re-plugging.. i dont understand what is wrong.. i have copied the details identically from the computer (being the ip.. default gateway.. dns servers) but is still coming up with the dns error.. still anymore advice? its bugging me not being able to connect as i cannot even update my firmware without using my ipod.. help is very much appreciated !
  • You say copied everything directly from the computer- does that include the IP address? You may have inadvertently copied the address the computer gets for itself to go online-either tell the PS3 to go automatic for its own IP or change it and make this change in the router settings to match.

Does this modem/ router have any firewall capabilities? maybe that would be a reason for it to not work.
  • yes everything.. i changed the ip on the last set of 3 numbers by 1 (eg. 230 becomes 231) and then tried it even with just using my computers ip with the computer coming up with ip conflict. if i was to change it how would i do it? as above - i dont have a router but a cable modem with router capabilities; how would i change the settings on it to match? i have disabled all firewalls also

any ideas?
  • You may have to query up your ISP regarding how to get to the router capabilities of your set up if they didn't leave instructions. Normally you would type in the IP address of the router on the web browser address bar and access it that way. Try that, along with adding http:// in first like you would a web address.

That should bring up a log in box which, if nothing has been changed, will require the word "admin" (minus the quotes) in either the username or password blank. This would then take you into the router set up area, allowing any changes (port forwarding, adding a custom IP, etc.) to be made.

If that doesn't do anything for you i would suggest contacting your ISP's tech support. I would also suggest seeing about disabling the router capability and use a dedicated router from a manufacturer such as Linksys.
  • what is the ip address of your router (the default gateway) and the ip address you put for the PS3.
  • the same has happend with mine just yesterday and isn't working today. Is it just the playstation server playing up or has the console changed itself
  • what is the ip address of your router (the default gateway) and the ip address you put for the PS3.

my default gateway address is 58.107.184.1.. and the ip i put for the ps3 is 58.107.184.30... the computers ip is .29... any ideas?
  • The address you have in the default gateway is your router address, Truter. Add an http:// to the front of that in your browser address bar and see of you can get to the router set up on the computer. The rest of it looks good to prevent any conflicts.

If your router/ modem supports it you may want to set up that IP address on the router for the PS3 in DHCP or another section that allows for assigning custonm IP addresses. You would also need your PlayStation 3's MAC Address, which you will find under System Information in the Settings menu.
  • when i got to my address bar and type http://58.107 .. etc etc. it comes up as internet explorer cannot display this page.. any thoughts as to why? i think after i get into that i will be alright, as you have said
  • If it said that then the way to the router set up may be different that normal routers. You may want to contact your ISP tech support and ask about this.
  • hey.. thanks for the suggestions.. i give up though lol.. im just going to buy a wireless router.. cross my fingers and hope for the best.. ill update you wen i buy the wireless.. thanks again
  • You may still have to talk to the ISP about deactivating the router capability of your modem/ router combo when you do get the standalone router. I suggest checking out the Linksys WRT54G as the router of choice.
  • how about a netgear one? i found one for $30 on ebay.. worth a shot?
  • In all honesty I would prefer seeing you use a Linksys model. The Netgear ones, while good, are lower down the totem pole in regards to quality than Linksys. Also, you would be better off buying new and having full tech support from the manufacturer if anything goes awry.
  • I have a netgear DG834G v3. should the ps3 'take to' the router or will i have problems. it is just that i have read that some people have problems with them, and im on AOL. also, is there a problem with rangemax and the ps3 and will sony brng out a firmware update to sort out the connectivity problems?
  • AOL? There's your problem- their system, for whatever reason, does not support the PS3's online capability. Time to change internet providers.
  • I seem to be having a problem with DNS errors popping up alot. What exactly does that do? I mainly play Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare online with my PS3 and sometimes it will let me into a match and if it does sometimes it will just log me out and freeze. The 2nd thing is sometimes when I put the game in or even a new game in its like the CD game icon doesnt even appear. I dont want to have to get a new PS3. I have only had this 1 for about 10 months or so. I cant seem to find my Warranty for my PS3 either. Help please!
  • I think a new PS3 would be your only solution, Wheels. If you have a receipt for the PS3 you should be fine with the warranty. You would need to call Sony's tech support to get it arranged.
  • **Solution**

Hi Guys,

I have been having the infamous DNS error for sometime and after trying many suggestions I was really down.

Anyways, cut a long story short, I contacted Virgin (my ISP) who advised me to contact Sony or Linksys as it was their device that was causing issue.

I went to Linksys website and used their Live Chat service. There I was advised to update firmware for router. Problem resolved.

Please note there is a specific way to update so best to go to Live Chat session if you are unaware on how to do this. Failing that, knock your 128 bit encryption down to 64 bit if your comfortable with it.

Good luck.
  • hi ppl i turned on my playstation 3 and went to log onto playstation network and it just comes up with " DNS Error " and won't let me log on if i wait about 3 hours it sometimes lets me on please someone help me i am getting annoyed :mad:
  • Funny Guys, you may need to follow BootiDaddy's advice and try updating the router's firmware.
  • truter said:
    hi guys,
    tried connecting up to the internet to first of all update the firmware then to download gran turismo HD but could not connect. I have solved the issue with firmware as i just used my ipod to update but was still curious as to how to connect to the internet. I have read through some of the previous posts on how to configure IPs and the rest but have not come across a solution.
    This is the latest:
    obtain ip : successful
    internet connection : failed
    error occured during communication with the server. This is a DNS error (80710102).
    If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. THANKS !

Try this... just another thread...:w00t2:

http://www.absolute-playstation.com/playstation-network/expert-playstation-3-hardware-accessory-help-playstation3-ps3-console/21007-solution-found-dns-error-roadrunner-customers-new.html
  • Hi guys
    i keep haveing a problem with the "DNS Error" i have tried as many things as i have been told like:
    i.turning off the NetGear Hub for 5 mins and then turn it back on.
    ii.turn on and off my Ps3
    none of them will work i need new solution's.

I have tried messing with some of the settings on the Ps3 but none of them work.
    It onnly works if i turn it on in the morning n if i turn it off again it wont let me get on i have to wait like 5 hours before i turn it on again. !HELP! :(
  • Follow this example, I hope it helps:

1. On the XMB go to Network Settings

2. Next go to Internet Connection Settings

3. Choose Wireless

4. Choose Enter Manually in WLAN Settings

5. Enter your SSID (your wireless network name)
    If you have internet security, enter it after this.

6. Under Address Settings, choose Custom

7. Under IP Address Settings, choose Manual

8. Input your information (exactly as shown):
    IP Address: 192.168.0.105 (enter your own IP)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Router: 192.168.0.1 (if you know your router already, use that number)
    Primary DNS: 4.2.2.2 (it is important that you use these numbers)
    Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.3

9. Continue on to MTU and choose Automatic

10. Continue on to Proxy Server and choose Do Not Use

11. Continue on to UPnP and choose Enabled

12. Click X to save your settings

13. Test your connection and see if this helped or not

If that doesn't work then try this:

1) Change your DNS settings to the OpenDNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and leave your PS3 settings on automatic/easy (probably what you already had it set as before).
    2) Locate the IP address of your router. For example
  • hi every1 pls help me i use a 3g dongel which is plugged into my laptop and then i run an ethernet cable from laptop to ps3 ,it worked for a while till today it wnt work ,

obtain IP adress succeeded
    internet connection failed

i would really appreciate your help i miss playing online lol :(

dan..
  • R u using a wireless router?
  • Hey y'all, I'm having the same problem as truter. Getting that DNS error. I read over the thread and have no idea how ta even try all the recommendations. We have Verizon and Model 6100G DSL box. We got an automatic IP address from the PS3 also. Please help.
  • Adam, you most likely need to adjust your PS3's settings a bit. If they left you the connection details the DNS servers that Verizon uses for your area would be on that- add these to the settings on the page after you select "automatic" for the IP address.

I should also ask, if this is a direct connection to the modem, have you been unplugging the modem's power before swapping the ethernet cable around? If not that could also be a cause as Verizon would think you are still connected on the computer.
  • OK, thanks. I'll give that a go and if it doesn't work I'll be back for more help :)
  • :confused: I have tried the following without success: disabled media server, reset router & cable modem, tried open DNS numbers, firewall off & on, update PS3 firmware, reversed DNS numbers, purchased new dlink wireless modem and have three computers working fine with cable hookup. Where can I go from here?
  • Doublecheck the numbers in your router for the DNS servers, subnet mask, etc. and add these numbers manually into the PS3's settings. You may also want to reserve an IP address using the PS3's MAC Address then add this to the PS3's settings as well.

Have a quick look for firmware updates for the router as well, sometimes this perks things up a bit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion