scph 1002 pot replacement help
  • i've been using this site since 2001 and decided to ask here for expert help.

I have a very old Playstation bought in 1994 with both the Bias/Gain potentiometers damaged, that is they're missing the heads that adjusts them....

I noticed this in 2005, when it refuse to boot up and just spun very fast then stopped.

i was going to take it to the junk yard for money but
    recently found a website that says you can replace the pots with resistors
    Playstation 1 Technical Reference

but its not clear what i need to do and i am worried of damaging the board, should I pull 2 pots out with pliers then solder resistors onto the same spot?

this photo isn't clear where the resistors are placed, can anyone recognise this part of the board? it's not said where they are, beside the fuses or ribbon cable? :crybaby:

• You are looking at the wrong picture- check the pic below the one you added to your post. Those copper-looking wires in it are the resistors.
  • Hi agian!

thanks for your reply, but are you sure the resistors are actually these wires on the very bottom page (last photo?)

i have resistors with me already and they are the same color as the ones on photo attached in my 1st post. i just dont know where i should solder them because the website didn't say where to but only showed the photo i attached
    !
  • They should be easy enough to find on the motherboard itself- use the marking along the side of the "mo bo" and around the chips to locate the right spot.
  • i've actually found a photo of my mo-bo here http://obrazki.elektroda.net/76_1244041685.jpg its a 1002 like mine exactly

i cant clearly find the Q502 on the link here, but on photo 1 it's clearly visible so i'm not sure if the bearykirby uses a 1002 psx on his photo?

i see a tiny smf chip beside resistors but can't figure out what code it is? is there any diagram of the motherboard 1002?
  • Ok! time to open up my playstation!!
    The only thing I need to know is how gentle do I have to be with the cables such as ribbon ones?

the last time I opened a Ps was 2005, when I pulled the laser to throw it out (i sold the ps, it was a 7502)

, but
    now I need to be as gentle as I can because Im just installin 4 resistors into the board, then i'm putting it all back together!
    I remember how hard it was to pull that Laser ribboncable out it was almost impossible and soo tight!(in 2005)

can anyone here give me expert advice on safely removing a laser ribbon without bending/forcing it out? and do i need to protect my console from static that i could transmit? (like computer parts etc.)

haven't plugged it in since october '08 so I don't think its got any electricity stored in there!

Oh, im also puttin some lube in my laser so it doesnt sound 15 years old! i'll be following a guide i got years ago !

i might vacuum inside with my mini vacuum from 99, is it ok to? it's meant for pc cleaning like circuit boards and fan ducts.

Edit: my soldering iron is only 8 watts . is that powerful enough to solder resistors? thanks guys!
  • Using a small vacuum would be best to get the dust in there.

Definitely make sure you have no static electricity on you before touching the motherboard- give something metallic a touch before you begin. You will need to be very careful with those ribbons/ cables.

If it can melt the solder you'll be fine. To be honest, we have usually recommended not doing this sort of thing yourself unless you do have experience with this sort of thing. I've never gone inside my systems because of this. You may want to write the owners of the site you got those pics from in regards to doing actual repairs inside.
  • Well I wrote to the host of the tech site where i found this tutorial and here's what he told me!

Hi.

The tutorial isn
  • ok! i've done my laser cleaning and i'm about to apply some White Lithium grease to my laser sled as suggested by beary kirby,, i just have one PROBLEM - I ACCIDENTALLY PULLED THE POWER CABLE OFF TOO HARD and it came out of the board, Ok i will not panic! but im going to attempt to solder it back very very gently! wihtout contacting the circuit board at all! is there anything i need to know before soldering the white cable back? for instance how much pressure is applied to it, and will i need to solder from the top! or underneath, whats more safe? pls help me im almost finished just this one thing!:eek:

• DoA-r said:
    Ok! time to open up my playstation!!
    The only thing I need to know is how gentle do I have to be with the cables such as ribbon ones?

the last time I opened a Ps was 2005, when I pulled the laser to throw it out (i sold the ps, it was a 7502)

, but
    now I need to be as gentle as I can because Im just installin 4 resistors into the board, then i'm putting it all back together!
    I remember how hard it was to pull that Laser ribboncable out it was almost impossible and soo tight!(in 2005)

can anyone here give me expert advice on safely removing a laser ribbon without bending/forcing it out? and do i need to protect my console from static that i could transmit? (like computer parts etc.)

haven't plugged it in since october '08 so I don't think its got any electricity stored in there!

Oh, im also puttin some lube in my laser so it doesnt sound 15 years old! i'll be following a guide i got years ago !

i might vacuum inside with my mini vacuum from 99, is it ok to? it's meant for pc cleaning like circuit boards and fan ducts.

Edit: my soldering iron is only 8 watts . is that powerful enough to solder resistors? thanks guys!

Removing the ribbon cable is easy. The cable itself sits in a plastic holder as you can see, it seems stuck solid but if you look carefully at the sides of the component the ribbon sits in there is a flange on either side; push them gently in opposite directions and a small locking flange will open either side. Remove ribbon cable. Easy. Replace flanges to re-lock ribbon cable.

Regards to you. I am a gaming engineer usually arcade machines. As a commited gaming freak my knowledge of the boards and laser units I trust will be of some help to fellow gamers. Oftentimes consoles can be repaired without much fuss. I hope you read this post before destroying your machine. Do not pull on the ribbon cables people, they pop out if opened correctly.