PS3 not playing blu-ray...
  • Recently (Dec. 6th I think) my ps3 started freezing while playing mw2. It would freeze mostly at the end of an online match but also during single player and spec ops. It gradually happened more and more often until now it either doesnt load or freezes during anything blu-ray. But it plays dvds and downloaded content perfectly.

Now my question... Is it an issue with the blu-ray laser or can a problem with the hard drive cause this problem?
  • It is most likely the blu-ray itself at issue. You would want to contact Sony's customer service ASAP about possible repairs.
  • ok one more thing. I read that going into safe mode and doing restore file system was supposed to fix freezing issues. When I go to restore file system something comes up that says "The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored", then i click ok and it restores it. And this message doesnt come up unless i go to restore file system.

What does this mean?
  • What it means is the system cannot read one or more of the system files and it is going to overwrite it with a new copy of that file system.
  • So since this only comes up when i click restore file sytem it shouldnt be a problem right? Cause it still plays dvds and downloaded content, so it would still be an issue with the laser?

I just want to make sure because my ps3 is out of warranty so i was going to take it to a place near me. They will replace a laser for about $100 and do it while I wait. Thanks for your quick responses.
  • Yep, it would be an issue with the laser itself if it won't read the blu-ray discs. Go ahead and have this place check the system out.
  • Mason1 said:
    Recently (Dec. 6th I think) my ps3 started freezing while playing mw2. It would freeze mostly at the end of an online match but also during single player and spec ops. It gradually happened more and more often until now it either doesnt load or freezes during anything blu-ray. But it plays dvds and downloaded content perfectly.

Now my question... Is it an issue with the blu-ray laser or can a problem with the hard drive cause this problem?

Did it happen after the 1.07 update to mw2?
    I ask because after that update my ps3 got F'd up. I am not blaming the update, but you never know. I have heard from a lot of people that this happened to them too. I don't know.
  • Lone_AssassinX said:
    Did it happen after the 1.07 update to mw2?
    I ask because after that update my ps3 got F'd up. I am not blaming the update, but you never know. I have heard from a lot of people that this happened to them too. I don't know.

I'm blaming the update though! I was online on Sunday on 1.06. Immediately, and I mean immediately, after the update my PS3 started locking up on the score screen. Then it started locking up in game, and now I can't even get a game started without it freezing. I'm 100% convinced there is something dodgy with the 1.07 patch. No other game is giving me any problems, and I can play blu-rays just fine. I didn't have a hacked account, and the PS3 was a standard 40GB version, the only change being I put my own hard drive in about a year ago. I doubt if that is significant, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else stumbles on this.
  • nserp said:
    I'm blaming the update though! I was online on Sunday on 1.06. Immediately, and I mean immediately, after the update my PS3 started locking up on the score screen. Then it started locking up in game, and now I can't even get a game started without it freezing. I'm 100% convinced there is something dodgy with the 1.07 patch. No other game is giving me any problems, and I can play blu-rays just fine. I didn't have a hacked account, and the PS3 was a standard 40GB version, the only change being I put my own hard drive in about a year ago. I doubt if that is significant, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else stumbles on this.

Yeah. I guess it could be the update. The way you describe your situation. The only logical conclusion is that the update has some F'd up ramifications. Well, at least you can sit play another game my PS3 is F'd up for good it wouldn't read discs anymore :( . :mad: F 1.07 :frown: