Folding@Home on the PS3- Join Team AP
  • You sure know how to throw a thread completely off track, don't you jay?:rolleyes:

Another stats update- we are now at 1901 out of 82,260 teams- great going all!

Also, i see we have another folder on the go by the name of ChrisTheGit. Welcome aboard!
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You sure know how to throw a thread completely off track, don't you jay?:rolleyes:

You know me Lyn, any which way to lighten up a thread. Besides, it's not all myyyyyy fauly, blame Rob, he started it.
    Yes you did, Rob! You did...you did...you did...you diiiiiid!
    Don't make me throw my dummy (pacifier) at you :frown:

Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Another stats update- we are now at 1901 out of 82,260 teams- great going all!

Also, i see we have another folder on the go by the name of ChrisTheGit. Welcome aboard!

I saw that this morning as well. Thought it's pretty good myself; we're gradually getting there aren't we? :D
  • Mel has a Pink Belt in both writing AND drawing. Now that doesn't seem much I hear you say. However, she can write a full page dossier on the movements of trouble makers, AND draw their face and full body, with 100% perfection. She alone has caught ooh I don't know how many now.
    How many people you caught that way Mel now? Just give us a ballpark figure, ok? No need for specifics...100? 500? 1000? I forget exactly now.

Wow, its like a superpower.... I wondered what those shiny pink belts they were wearing meant... Now i know. I'll keep well away from any trouble around here, from now on....(That means you Jay.....;))

We can't just hire them out to ANYONE. I mean, come on, these girls are trained in many different things to Pink Belt standard (that's even higher than a grand master, don'tcha know?).

Wow i wonder what other things, they may be a pink belt in... Lets just hope no troublemakers around here will ever get to know.....

You sure know how to throw a thread completely off track, don't you jay?

Yeah, Jay.....!!!!!!

Besides, it's not all myyyyyy fauly, blame Rob, he started it.
    Yes you did, Rob! You did...you did...you did...you diiiiiid!

Excuse me... I would never be to blame for something as bad as this... Look what you've done to all those potential Folders, coming to this thread to try and join the Team.... You've revealed the deepest and darkest secrets of the APi staff and their deadly, pink belted security !! They wont come back ever again... You know this has your name written all over it jay, dont try and drag me into it....!!! :laugh: ;)

Don't make me throw my dummy (pacifier) at you

See he's even trying to start a dummy war now.... Whatever next.....:rolleyes:

Also, i see we have another folder on the go by the name of ChrisTheGit.

Welcome aboard Chris....
  • Our climb to the top continues- we are now at 1857 out of 82,500 teams!

On a sidenote, I'm 20 away from 500 work units completed- almost half way to that 1000 you wanted out of me, Rob! :p
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    ...On a sidenote, I'm 20 away from 500 work units completed- almost half way to that 1000 you wanted out of me, Rob! :p

Show Off! :frown:

I need more WUs and I need them FAST and NOW! :(
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Show Off! :frown:

I need more WUs and I need them FAST and NOW! :(

Ha ha. You're insane. Send a email to Stanford or Sony, requesting more Work Units. I'd love to see their response to that :D. It probably wouldn't be the craziest request they'd ever been sent.

Well, I'm almost at 119 Work Units. So there ya go. I am so happy that our team is in the top 2000 of all the teams Worldwide! That's out of 82,000! I don't think we all realize just how amazing that is :o. I never would have thought we'd climb that far up the ladder. We all deserve some trophies for our excellent work in the Folding program. Without a doubt, it's the best program Sony has ever put on a Playstation system.

Here's to many more years of helping out.
  • I'm 20 away from 500 work units completed- almost half way to that 1000 you wanted out of me, Rob!

You said around July next year, so you're definitely on Track Lyn.....:D;)

I need more WUs and I need them FAST and NOW!

He's kinda skipped away from you, over the past couple of weeks Jay.... Better get some serious Folding done mate.....;)

We all deserve some trophies for our excellent work in the Folding program.

Ohh did somebody mention trophies...Lol...:D

Without a doubt, it's the best program Sony has ever put on a Playstation system.

Here's to many more years of helping out.

Here...Here....MCW.....
  • I got yer trophy right here! :p

Status time- we are now currently in 1,801 out of a total of 82,971 teams! We're climbing quick! B)
  • Ohhh wow, that is one nice trophy.......:D
    So shiny and trophy-like.......:)

We're doing well, Folders, we just cant stop climbing those tables.....:D
  • Another update on our current standings- at this point we are 1668 out of 84,097 teams- a big jump for just shy of two weeks. Keep it up all! B)
  • I got an extra 5 WU, added to my tally, the other day.:confused:
    Any ideas why, anyone........:confused:

Well done Team AP 1651'st now......:D
  • Not sure how that would happen, Rob- i wouldn't worry about it, though. May have been their stats keeping catching up.

Another update on rankings- we are now at 1604 out of 84,777 teams. B)

I'm still a bit disappointed that no one else seems to be joining the team- our last team member, ChrisTheGit, seems to have only done the one unit but no points to it. Leads me to think he decided folding wasn't for him and he cut things off mid-fold.
  • Not sure how that would happen, Rob- i wouldn't worry about it, though. May have been their stats keeping catching up.

Yeah thats what i thought, but hey no worries..........:D

We can crack the top 1000 soon i hope........:D

I'm still a bit disappointed that no one else seems to be joining the team

I'll ask anyone that may start folding that i meet, but to my knowledge we have one of the best folding teams around (PS3 folding teams especially)..............:D
  • I really would like to help out the team and there cause,, so when I get home from work I'm going to join the team at folding@home.. I'll post back when complete.. :D Ya I work on Sundays..:(
  • Welcome mate..........:D
    And ouch, but you're not alone i work on Sunday mornings if thats any consolation.........;)
  • Well, I joined, but I don't see my name on the team member's list...
  • Your name will appear once your first work unit is done and sent back to Stanford. Welcome to the team! B)
  • My wife decided to erase the download app for Folding@Home so I lost all the progress I made yesterday.. Oh well, I'll just have to start over:mad: but I'll be there..:D
  • Whats the current stats Lyndon? and/or is there a site anyone can go to for checking on the numbers?
  • Well I have some bad news......:( Remember the tec problem I ask you Lyndon about the over heating problem with my PS3... Yaaaaaaaaaa well my PS3............ toast.... I left my PS3 working at Folding@Home and step out to do a few things and I came home and my PS3 was off... And I tried ever thing to turn it back on and nata... So no game playing or Folding for me....At least until this friday... I'll be picking me a new one up... Also I'll probably have to start over with my Folding@Home again wont I........???:(
  • I actually know what it feels like, it happened to me kinda and i lost my PS3 for a few weeks........It was very emotional :(...........
    Hope to see you back on soon mate, and good luck starting over with F@H Mate........:)
  • robcoxy said:
    I actually know what it feels like, it happened to me kinda and i lost my PS3 for a few weeks........It was very emotional :(...........
    Hope to see you back on soon mate, and good luck starting over with F@H Mate........:)

I personally don't get what could have happened. How can it have happened? :confused:

Everyone knows that Lyn and myself leave our PS3s folding for likes days on end without a break and, I can't speak for Lyn but, my PS3 hasn't had any problems. It does seem to er not be as quiet as it should be every now and then, but I put that down to dust collecting on all the air intakes. A quick wipe with my fingers and the PS3 cools down and goes pretty quiet again.

(On a side note. I just recently got RFOM and have just downloaded an update for it, my first one, and the update took like 10-15mins to download. I was like "that's a while :o")

Jay
  • I'm really confused.....:confused:... When I came home yesterday after work...Just out of curiosity.. I tried to turn my PS3 on....just to see what it would do and...vwala... It came on and I played RFOM for like an hour or so and no problems....I just don't understand... Oh well, I'm still going to buy a new one this Friday... I'm getting a little tired of the problems I'm have with my old one... So out with the old in with the new..:D
  • Sorry to hear about the dead PS3, shootemhigh- you should contact Sony about that, they would replace it for free thanks to the one year warranty. As for your stats, they will still be in the team totals but your own display on the PS3 would be reset. I don't see anything on the team total , however, so i don't think anything got submitted from you yet. You could find your stats using the options menu that comes up when hitting triangle.

Guess it is about time for a new stats update, isn't it? As of this writing we are now 1527 out of 86,285 teams. Slowly getting into the top 1500! B)
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Guess it is about time for a new stats update, isn't it? As of this writing we are now 1527 out of 86,285 teams. Slowly getting into the top 1500! B)

Amazing ain't it?! Whoda thunk we'd climb the ladder so fast. Surely people will start to notice, and hopefully join our team.

I had an idea, it might be a crazy one, but what if we had something like a marathon weekend? We could organize it so that our entire team folded all day long on Saturday and Sunday (When not playing games or movies on their PS3). Then our ranking would skyrocket, seeing as how we would all be doing it, and not just randomly like some us have been doing. If people liked the idea, we could make every weekend a marathon weekend.

I don't know, I like the idea of a marathon folding session. Everybody works better as a team :). Warms my heart to think that we're saving lives. Keep up the excellent work everyone. You rock!
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...We could organize it so that our entire team folded all day long on Saturday and Sunday (When not playing games or movies on their PS3)....

If a Saturday and Sunday is a marathon, then what about Lyn and I who are folding, more or less, 24/7? Guess we're in the Olympics :laugh: lol.
    Although, I guess Gold would go to Lyn and I'd only take the Silver (curse him, curse him to that place down under! And I DON'T mean Australia either :p)
  • Jason F Staff said:
    If a Saturday and Sunday is a marathon, then what about Lyn and I who are folding, more or less, 24/7? Guess we're in the Olympics :laugh: lol.

Yeah, I know you are, but when you've got 4 team members at most folding at once, out of a 16+ member team, then it's not really a marathon. Not to discount anyone, I'm just saying, lets get all 16 people on their PS3's at one time to fold, and make a habit out of it. Picking a day or two a week to do this would make it easy for people to remember to dedicate some time to the team and the task at hand.
  • I love the idea MCW, but how about making it a couple of weekdays ??????? As people have more game time at the weekend, so it would make sense definitely for me to say do it on Thursday and Friday...........:)
  • Yeah...what Rob said! :eek:
  • Well I finally got my name on the list..Ha Ha yes......still have a lot more to do though....
  • shootemhigh said:
    Well I finally got my name on the list..Ha Ha yes......still have a lot more to do though....

Congratulations! You're a good man... or woman :eek: (Don't want to unfairly judge). Another friend of this site should show up on the list soon, we've been discussing folding@home on the PSN, so hopefully he decides to join the team.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    Congratulations! You're a good man... or woman :eek: (Don't want to unfairly judge). Another friend of this site should show up on the list soon, we've been discussing folding@home on the PSN, so hopefully he decides to join the team.

I'm a guy....sweet the more the better...
  • Yeah...what Rob said!

Thanks for the backup........;)
  • robcoxy said:
    Thanks for the backup........;)

You know me, man of few words. I'm very philisophical that way...

"If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it...Does it make a noise?"

Yes, very philisophical...
  • If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it...Does it make a noise?"

Ermmmm it does doesnt it ??????? :confused:

You know me, man of few words.

Yeah we believe that one.........:rolleyes:

I'm very philisophical that way...

Jay dont you think you're taking this too far, stop lying so much people may actually believe your lies !!!!!!!!!! :laugh: Don't listen to him people........;)
  • robcoxy said:
    Ermmmm it does doesnt it ??????? ...

Ah but how do you know if nobody is there to hear it? That's the whole point of that philisophical statement

robcoxy said:
    ...Jay dont you think you're taking this too far, stop lying so much people may actually believe your lies !!!!!!!!!! :laugh: Don't listen to him people........;)

Wiseman say, "look before you leap"
    Rob say, "leap before you look"
    I say, "get somebody else to look and a third person to leap" :eek:

You see, VERY philisophical :p lol
  • You see, VERY philisophical lol

Wowwww....... That actually was quite philisophical........[Applause]..........
    Well done Jay.........;)
  • In a (most likely vain) attempt to get this back on track I thought it was time for another statistics update. As of today the Absolute PlayStation team is now placed 1,401 out of 90,236 teams!

I also want to note that, although we have 18 current folders on the list, only 10 of those are currently active (as shown through an alternate stats site found when Stanford was doing an update themselves).
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    In a (most likely vain) attempt to get this back on track I thought it was time for another statistics update. As of today the Absolute PlayStation team is now placed 1,401 out of 90,236 teams!

wow, we are certainly moving well up the rankings. I'm still a bit miffed because I can't seem to catch up with you at all and it's sooo unfair :frown:
    Lyndon M STAFF said:
    I also want to note that, although we have 18 current folders on the list, only 10 of those are currently active (as shown through an alternate stats site found when Stanford was doing an update themselves).

What site was that Lyn? An alternate site, very intriguing. Seems everytime, more or less, that I try to look at our teams stats page, it's like always updating so I can never see what we've all got and whatnot.
  • what is this fold thing?
  • I'll let Lyndon or someone else explain.

For one, they will do a better job of explaining it so you can actually understand what it is.
    And secondly, I need to go finish my Uni work. I'll be back later, I hope. Depends how long it takes to get this finished off :mellow:

Adios Amigos
  • Details are at the front of the thread, sfjp. ;)

Basically, the Folding@Home project is medical research being done by Stanford University to look for breakthroughs toward cures for several diseases including forms of cancer, Parkinson's Disease and Alzeimer's. They send bits of data called "work units" to systems running the program for processing. Once done that unit is sent back and the next is sent down. Folding is only done when you aren't doing anything else on the system so it won't interfere with any gaming, movie watching, etc.

There's no personal gain from it other than the knowledge you are helping others. One never knows- that bit of data being processed by your PS3 may help out a friend or relative in the future.

Anyhoo, if you think you would like to lend a hand the first post in this thread has details on how to set up your system to join the team. You'll find the Folding@Home icon in the Network portion of the PS3's menu.
  • thank you ..............
  • Yup, told ya Lyndon would be able to answer your query better than I.

I know what it is and what happens etc, it's just trying to explain it to other people I have difficulty doing. :(
  • Hey Lyndon,

I joined the API folding home team some time back and I have 101 units done now.

I was leaving my PS3 on for a few days at a time to get them done.

I have stopped leaving it on now and am not folding much anymore....
    I just didn't want to put the extra work on my PS3.

Which member has the most units now??

Worf
  • Worfsonofmog said:
    ...Which member has the most units now??

Worf

Lyndon...STILL! :frown:
    You know, I checked yesterday and he was like so many units ahead of me (I forget now) then I checked today and he had somehow gained like 40 units or something. 40 units in ONE DAY? How on Earth is that even possible? :mad: I'm sure he's cheating somehow :frown:
  • :wacko: :wacko: :mad: Forty units in a day??????
    Would a very fast PC make folding go faster in any way??

Thanks Jason
  • More than likely they had to make a correction on the stats to get things up to date. There's no way to get 40 in a day unless you have maybe 8 Ps3's going at it at once.

Glad to hear you joined up with it, Worf. What name are you using (or did you leave your id name as PS3)?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    ...There's no way to get 40 in a day unless you have maybe 8 Ps3's going at it at once...

Yeah well that's what I thought then I saw what happened to your stats.
    If it was a case of them needing to update the stats then their stats were waaaaay off before the stats update weren't they? :o

Wish that would happen to my stats. One day I'm on however many, the next day, after updating their stats, I've suddenly gained 40 or 50 work units. Would be very appreciative, I most definitely would be most appreciative. *hint hint* if anyone from the Stanford Folding Team is reading this ;) hehe
  • Just signed up today, bit late i know but i have only got the PS3 online perminantly in the last day or so. No more lugging it downstairs etc.
  • Welcome aboard, Don- good to see someone new in the folding. B)

Well past time for a stats update- we are now sitting at 1319 out of 97,344 teams! Looking at one of the alternate sites they give now when updating their stats, we should be able to jump another 9 ranks in about a day with steady folding! :D
  • Talking about the site, they've updated it havent they, the Folding@Home official page that is.......Looks good.....:)
  • looks a bit funky with all the lights is that who's on line or just on folding home ?
  • I haven't looked at their main page for some time now, really- just used the menu link to get to the stats page. I must say they have improved it quite a bit with the menu links along the top and linking to the different version of the site along the left.

The yellow dots on the globe are PS3s that are folding- gives a bit of an idea as to where the majority of people on the project are from. Blue dots are just to show other areas with some population.
  • okay i would start using it more but scared of leaving me ps3 on over night i dont want to come down stais and its on fire or anything like that i would probably cry.
  • If there was a possibility of that happening mine would be a molten lump by now- it's on 24/7 doing the folding when I'm not gaming on it. There's no fear of it overheating on you.
  • sfjp@hotmail.co.uk said:
    okay i would start using it more but scared of leaving me ps3 on over night i dont want to come down stais and its on fire or anything like that i would probably cry.

If it catches fire, I will personally buy you a new PS3. That's how confident I am that that would never happen (If your Playstation is properly ventilated, and not wrapped in towels like many people's Xbox 360's).

I run mine for about half a day at a time, and have never run into any overheating problems. My PS3 is sitting vertically, on top of my other electronic devices.

Lyndon M STAFF said:
    If there was a possibility of that happening mine would be a molten lump by now- it's on 24/7 doing the folding when I'm not gaming on it. There's no fear of it overheating on you.

:) Molten lump, that's funny.

Also, some other websites (Not in English) have done tests to try and kill PS3's by putting them in extreme heat conditions, where surely they'd break, but even if your house was 100+ degrees, the thing will survive. Fans kick in, they built a tank of a system after they saw what happened with the 360. No way could Sony blow even more money than they already had.

Sorry I haven't been around as much guys, After Christmas, got some games, and have also been folding as always, I'm sure you've noticed. So, you can always send me a message on PSN (Name: mcw1011). Getting Burnout: Paradise when it comes out, hope to drive around and crash into some of you guys and gals on there! ;)
  • I hope to get back into the folding soon, havent done a proper WU in quite a long time....... Too many good games out, cant stop gaming.....:D

If there was a possibility of that happening mine would be a molten lump by now- it's on 24/7 doing the folding when I'm not gaming on it. There's no fear of it overheating on you.

It is, if Lyn's PS3 is still running strong, theres no fear of leaving yours on for a night or two i should think.....;)

Burnout: Paradise when it comes out, hope to drive around and crash into some of you guys and gals on there!

Hope to see you on there Matt.....:)
  • robcoxy said:
    ...if Lyn's PS3 is still running strong, theres no fear of leaving yours on for a night or two i should think.....;)...

Well mine still runs 24/7 and it's going strong.

You need to get back into leaving your PS3 on for Folding, ay Rob?

MCWHAMMER said:
    ...Getting Burnout: Paradise when it comes out, hope to drive around and crash into some of you guys and gals on there! ;)

ooh, Burning up the streets with fellow motor heads.
    I'm really going to enjoy Paradise City.
    Especially smashing so many wonderful people into teeny tiny piles of metal.
    Slightly used second hand car parts anyone? A few people here won't be needing them that's for sure ;)

Let's burn rubber.....! :cool:
  • robcoxy said:
    I hope to get back into the folding soon, havent done a proper WU in quite a long time....... Too many good games out, cant stop gaming.....

Understandable :) no one's mad at ya.

Hope to see you on there Matt.....

Got her preordered. Just waiting to pick it up :p Be fun to race ya. If you're as good a driver as a shooter, we're all in trouble.

Jason F Staff said:
    ooh, Burning up the streets with fellow motor heads. I'm really going to enjoy Paradise City. Especially smashing so many wonderful people into teeny tiny piles of metal. Slightly used second hand car parts anyone? A few people here won't be needing them that's for sure

Let's burn rubber.....!

It's been a long while since I've played a good racing/driving game, I'm glad that you all will be online with me :) We'll have to organize some races. I've been holding off on playing the demo too much to avoid spoiling the game. I'd rather wait for it to come out.

The hard part will be resisting ramming some of you into walls (J/K)! No, I'll race clean, so long as you guys do. I can't predict traffic patterns though, ya never know what'll happen.

Oh, and just to stay on the thread topic... um...

Folding@Home. ;)
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    ...The hard part will be resisting ramming some of you into walls (J/K)! No, I'll race clean, so long as you guys do. I can't predict traffic patterns though, ya never know what'll happen...

I'm sorry but I cannot promise that. The whole point of the Burnout games is well Takedowns. I love them. Plus the new details to crashing, I'll have fun whether I'm destroying other peoples cars or my car is being destroyed.

Obviously it's more fun if it's other peoples cars that end up as scrap metal ;) hehe

Vive La Takedowns!
    Yeah, you heard me right:cool:
  • Well mine still runs 24/7 and it's going strong.

Between You and Lyn and MCW's tallys, theres about 1000 WU, is that a record ????? :o
    Well done guys......:)

Understandable no one's mad at ya.

Pheww, thats good to know....Lol....:D

Be fun to race ya. If you're as good a driver as a shooter, we're all in trouble.

Yeah, will be awesome racing you and Jay and everyone, cant wait. And i havent had as much experience with drivers so i dont think you're in too much trouble. ;)

Vive La Takedowns

Exactly....Lol
  • Another stats update for everyone- we now sit at 1300 out of 99,476 teams! B)

However, I've noticed we seem to be slowly losing folders instead of gaining. According to the stats page, we have 11 active folders in the last 50 days yet we have 19 names on the team list. :huh:

Don, I've noticed your name isn't there even though you did say you signed up. Did you leave your ID as PS3? Did you put the team number in the Identity section?
  • I have two names there... Buni_Bogopa and shaddow
  • The one's that bother me are the ones who are active on the forum, and have PS3's, but only have 1 unit done. It's not that hard to do really.

I'm calling you out:

[center]shootemhigh
    Mike_Capozzi
    Christhegit
    [/CENTER]
    At least get 2 units done, you're making our team look bad :mellow:.
  • I would be careful of pointing fingers energy prices in the uk have risen by just over a third so it would be very expensive to leave my console on over night i'll join your team though i'll leave it on while at work can you please give me instructions on how to do this.
  • Full instructions are at the front of the thread Sam- complete with pictures. B) Ah well, I'll type it out again anyway. Start up the Folding @Home and hit the triangle button. Go down to Identity and hit X. From here select the second choice, "Join an existing team". This will bring up a number pad on screen- just type in the team number 54263 and hit enter.

Before leaving the Identity menu you may want to change the Donor to your PSN name- that's done in the first choice of the Identity menu.
  • sorry mate i looked at the announcement but couldnt see anything to go on to to register just news bullitins though me just being a muppet but thanks mate ill get right on it when i get home. Youve set up something pretty damn good there Mr Lyndon every credit to you mate.
  • Anyone having problems with PS3 Folding lately? I have been unable to download a new work unit, having just finished one the other day. This has been going on for about 3 days now for me. It keeps failing, and retrying.

Over on the Stanford website a couple of days ago, they made a news post that their "PS3 Servers were getting hit hard", and they're working to fix the issues.

Has anyone else been stuck between work units or anything? I'm sure it'll start working for me soon, just curious about you guys' situation.
  • I did have one spot where the system was having trouble geting a work unit sent back and was retrying. Seems to be working ok now however.

Stats update again- we are currently 1,284 out of 101,464 teams.
  • ">
    Lyndon M STAFF;54348 said:
    Stats update again- we are currently 1,284 out of 101,464 teams.

That's awesome. I'm so proud ;).

Of course, as soon as I posted above that I was having problems, ten minutes later it was finally able to deliver the work unit and start a new one. So, everything is back to normal now.
  • i joined the team today. i finished one fold just need to upload it though.
  • Of course, as soon as I posted above that I was having problems, ten minutes later it was finally able to deliver the work unit and start a new one. So, everything is back to normal now.

It sometimes does that to me but i just restart the application and tada a new WU is found......:)
  • if im playing a game ofline can i have folding home running in the background somehow?
  • Afraid not Samuel- they made the PS3 Folding@Home to just work when absolutely nothing else is happening on there.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Afraid not Samuel- they made the PS3 Folding@Home to just work when absolutely nothing else is happening on there.

Er that's not 100% accurate. As the [EMAIL="Folding@Home"]Folding@Home[/EMAIL] has been updated to version 2 is it? I forget, but anyway, you're able to listen to your own music that you've placed onto the PS3s Hard Drive.
    So if you like just using your PS3 as a VERY expensive, and VERY big, Ipod, then you can listen to your tunes while watching the PS3 Fold.
    Granted it's not gaming while Folding, but music is better than nothing at all, right? :)
  • Granted it's not gaming while Folding, but music is better than nothing at all, right?

Yeppp its true.......:)
    You see i got your back Jay......;)
  • sfjp@hotmail.co.uk said:
    if im playing a game ofline can i have folding home running in the background somehow?

Unfortunately no. But in addition to listening to your music while folding, you can also have everything "Background Downloading" (Off of the Playstation Store), and when you are done folding, it will all have finished downloading. So that is another thing that works during folding.
  • col nice one people ill have to try and set it upi know ive been saying this for a while but ill definatley do it tonight need to do my bit for the ap crew.
  • It's still the program itself running in the foreground, Jay- not what he was asking about.

We are now at 1279 out of 103,185. We were kinda staying put for a bit (at one point we fell back to 1285) but it looks like we are slowly climbing again. Those of you that have said they'll join up, hop to it! B)
  • A quick note for those that may have missed the news item about it over on our news page (and if you did shame on you! :frown: )- they have updated the Folding@Home program on the PS3 today, up to version 1.31. The update fixes some problems with communicating with the servers when uploading/ downloading work units. You'll be prompted to download and install the new version when you start up the program.
  • ive joined the crew but dont think ive even done one of them bar things yet but getting there.
  • Unfortunately no. But in addition to listening to your music while folding, you can also have everything "Background Downloading" (Off of the Playstation Store), and when you are done folding, it will all have finished downloading. So that is another thing that works during folding.

I didnt know that, well i knew you could background download movie trailers and stuff of the sort now but never tried it with F@H. Useful bit of info cheers matt.
    And i just looked and we are 1266th now on the leaderboards.
    Ive got the week off so i hope to get a few more WUs done than i have been lately.
  • Been a couple of weeks since the last stats update. We're moving forward again, it seems, as we are now in 1229th place out of 109, 142 teams. Keep it up folks!
  • nearly done my first one now gonna start to do it more often.
  • I've got my PC involved now aswell. I've just started and it's going to be a few days before i get the first WU in on my PC. It takes about 3-4 days to complete one on the PC. I remember something about the PC being slower than the PS3 at F@H, the fastest i've seen my computer fold is at 2m38s/F its currently doing them at about 20m/F so it seems to be slower than the PS3, (even though i do seem to remember something like 400s/F on the PS3?), so it could just be down to the type of WUs the computer applications recieve?
    Anyway, i'm going to keep my PS3 and PC F@H accounts seperate just to try and understand a little more about how they both work. So there'll be another name added to our team very soon.:) And a lot more WUs of course.;)
  • Yes, the computer is a good bit slower at the folding, normally taking several days (at least) to do a WU. Thing is with work units is, although it has less frames, each frame is larger and takes longer to do each one. So, it still takes about the same amount of time for a smaller work unit.
  • to do with the ports aswell ive been told
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Yes, the computer is a good bit slower at the folding, normally taking several days (at least) to do a WU. Thing is with work units is, although it has less frames, each frame is larger and takes longer to do each one. So, it still takes about the same amount of time for a smaller work unit.

Yeah thats what i thought.:)
  • Hi guys thought i join in at first with my PC but later i'll fold on my PS3 too.
  • Hey, Madhawk, welcome to the team.:) Yeah i'm folding on both my PC and PS3 and it's working well i'm getting a lot of WUs done.
    Just make sure you read about the F@H client for the PC on the F@H website, to make sure your running the right one, or Folding in the most effective way. Its not too difficult really but worth checking out.;)
    And yeah, well welcome to the team...;)

We are 1232nd on the leaderboards at this current time, seem to have dropped 3 places? Keep folding.:D
  • Yes, we seem to be in a holding pattern in the 1230- 1233 spot as we get slowly overtaken by some teams that have more members having at it.

With that said, I'll once again reiterate that anyone can join the folding team that wants to- just bring up the menu, select Identity and select "join an existing team". From here enter the team number 54263 and hit the start button. Your folding stats will now not only be your own personal stats but be a part of the aggregate total of the team.
  • yeh ive started doing it more ive done 2 or 3 of them things now and done 25% of the current one just a shame you cant play offline and run it at the same time i think if they changed that more people would do it my self included.
  • From here enter the team number 52463 and hit the start button

Just a little correction. The team numbers 54263.....;)

yeh ive started doing it more ive done 2 or 3 of them things now and done 25% of the current one just a shame you cant play offline and run it at the same time i think if they changed that more people would do it my self included.

Thats where it might be useful getting your PC involved. It runs in the background while doing anything you want on the net etc....And if your scared of leaving your PS3 on for too long-like me sometimes;) and your PC is on for long periods then its a great method of ensuring your contributing as much as you can to the team.:)

If you want any help or advice on running F@H on the PC, then feel free to PM me, or just post any queries on here, and i'll be sure to help....:)
  • Just thought i'd point out. For those of you who may want to get a few WUs in, i've had a long string of WUs that must have only been around 2hrs long till completion...
    I was very surprised when after 6hrs i checked with my PS3, to see it had completed 3 more WUs....:D
  • Time for another stats update- we are back on the upswing rankings-wise, now sitting at 1214 out of 113,450 teams.

On a side note, remember when rob said this back in June 07?

robcoxy said:
    Yeah well done Lyn really, i challenge you to get to a 1000. ;) Lol....

I have hit the 1000 mark last night, currently sitting at 1002 work units completed. Guess i ran into some quick ones along the way.
  • my god that is allot, i think ive done 5 or sommet not to sure.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Time for another stats update- we are back on the upswing rankings-wise, now sitting at 1214 out of 113,450 teams.

On a side note, remember when rob said this back in June 07?

I have hit the 1000 mark last night, currently sitting at 1002 work units completed. Guess i ran into some quick ones along the way.

:clap::clap::clap:
    Yeah i just saw and was just about to mention it, you're now on 1024 Lyn - and yes that is very impressive well done!!:clap:

As for our ranking it looks like we've had another good run. We now sit at 1204th place.....
  • I Just recruited another member to are team, the guys online a lot and i've noticed him Folding quite a bit lately, so hopefully we have another valuable member of the team....:D

Last time i checked we were in 1197th place, finally broke the 1200's....:D
  • good stuff your always nailing it now robcoxy you must of done a fair few

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion