Wind Chills
  • I kkow that we members are scattered across the globe. I was curious if wind chill is something you have to pay attention to where you live?

We also use the heat index up here in the summer, our temps range from over 110 above in some summers to an actual flat themp of 50 below some winters. Pretty wide spectrum of temps here.

This morning when I went to bed our wind chill was -37. Tonight the flat temp will approach -30 and there is a 15mph wind expected. There are whind chill warnings running all over the news and public safety readers on the T.V.

I guess it makes for a good reason to cuddle.
  • Where I am the tempurature is about -25C and with the wind chill it is about -40C right now. You can get frostbite in two or three minutes outside.

By the way your temps are farenheit, right? .
  • These warnings and such are bulls**t. I was outside for almost an hour when these warnings were calling for frostbite in under 10 minutes. I have no ill effects from shovelling my driveway.

We have been getting a good blast of winter here in Stratford, Ontario. Lots of snow and cold winds makes for quick smoke breaks at work. :lol:

I just checked the forecast and it looks to be freakin' cold. :lol:
  • What kind of wussy country are you from having to have to warn people of going outside as soon as it get's a bit cold. :lol:

We got the same spectum of temperatures over here in the north of Sweden but the wind chill factor hasn't caught on yet. I guess if you go outside and it's really cold you just go back in again.
    Now that isn't the scientific way of knowing how long you're supposed to stay outside but works pretty well for a primitive method. ;)
  • Well, i'm told it's 25 degrees but when i went outside in my shorts and teeshirt to grab the mail(almost forgot about it after being off work) i must say that it was cold but not cold enough for them to be calling for snow....I guess i have just gotten used to the temps now...Not even sure that we have any wind blowing here so i haven't checked the wind chill. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • This just in for the Orange NJ forecast....tomorrow will be freakin cold with a chance of suck!.

-Its been too cold out. I cant wait till things heat back up again. :)
  • Heh, heh....Just watched the weather and it seems that it's not the snow that's going to be a pain tonight it's going to be the "bone-chilling" cold that we're going to have. Eventhough it's going to be below 10 degrees tonight, i still don't see that as being cold as other than the flurries it's going to be a very dry cold and that's the easiest cold to get past. I still wouldn't mind it being warmer but i can live with it as is. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Originally posted by GeneStarwind@Jan 22 2003, 07:02 PM
    This just in for the Orange NJ forecast....tomorrow will be freakin cold with a chance of [b]suck!.
    [/b]

Now, that's funny! Thanks, Gene. That made my day. :D

I know what you guys are talkin' about. Last week the wind chill brought it down into the 60s out here. Some fellas have taken to wearing long sleeved shirts in the morning, it's gotten so grueling during the "arctic blast." Beach attendance is way down. :D
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Jan 23 2003, 04:23 AM

Last week the wind chill brought it down into the 60s out here. Some fellas have taken to wearing long sleeved shirts in the morning, it's gotten so grueling during the "arctic blast." Beach attendance is way down. :D

OH SHUT UP!!!!! :P I remember those days, when 60 degree temperatures were something to be concerned about.

But, back to the subject, I too have the 'wind chill factor' where I live, in the USA. It is currently 17 degrees F here, and it is supposed to stick around about the high single digits here today, with the wind chill factor bringing it down to around the 0 point, Farnnheit that is.

Manne, you can just shut your pie hole, 'cause it's perfectly acceptable that we're not all as abnormal as you are!! :P
  • Let's see yesterday it was a mere -11C with the wind it was more -32C and I was working outside for most of the day. This has been the coldest winter Sourthern Ontario has seen in the last couple years. I know one place in Canada (Iqualuit (sp?)) was a -40C with the wind. So in answer to the original question: Yes we have wind chills and NO I do not like it.
  • Thursday morning I started up my machine at work and the temperature controller read... 13`F. That was damn freakin' cold getting it going!

The reason it was so cold in my machine was the fact that the exhaust fan does not run when the machine is turned off. So there is literally nothing to stop the cold air from coming in from the outside.

The funniest thing is when the parts are cooling down from the being heated to about 400`F and the exhaust hasn't kicked in yet. (it trips out now and then during the day) So the cold air is coming in from outside, the hot air from the oven combined with the water from the sprinklers causes quite a steam show! My entire machine gets enveloped in steam. Everyone looks at me like my machine has caused a fire. Not quite the smoke from vinyl burning would be black, not white.

Sorry for getting a little off topic there.
  • I pity everyone in the cold

but i have to say....that it is HOT here in oz!!!!!!!!!

its about 36 degrees celsius here at the moment
  • Well, we don't exactlly have wind chill factor in Mexico city, but i just got back from Scandinavia(Stockholm, Oslo, Lillehammer, etc.), and i know what a wind chill can be. :blink:
  • I have winds chills where I live and it makes it so much colder it's not funny. ;) :huh: :angry:
  • Well, were back down again. The wc is at -21F right now and it's 3 in the afternoon. The whole state is under a winter weather advisory. Can't wait to see how feaking bad it is when I get off work at 2 AM. :angry:
  • funny funny what the person from sweden said if its cold go back in hhhmmmmm ;)
    and someone said it was-50c...celcius if i spelled it right 100c is boiling 0c is freezing through cross product you could find out what -50c is just to estimate i think boiling is 325f so half of 325 is abought 162 that would make it -162f i dont think its that cold anywhere except space who knows i could be rong though.i live in portland oregon u.s.a. and we have wind here thet goes right to youre bones its awfull but we have a lot of rain too so put those together and you have a recipe for misery id rather have snow and dry wind than icy rain and alot of wind an umbrella is useless you get soaked no matter what hahaha atleast you guys dont have to go to the mountains to ski maby you should invent sail sleding/siing/boarding if it dosent exist yet. p.s.............forgot to deduct 32f from 162 wich makes it 150f instead of 162f
  • I live in Missouri and we got really cold last week (25 below with windchill) but it is back in the upper 40s again. Maybe it will stay that way :D

Wartoad
  • [quote]Originally posted by wartoad@Feb 12 2003, 08:02 AM
    [b] I live in Missouri and we got really cold last week (25 below with windchill) but it is back in the upper 40s again. Maybe it will stay that way

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion