Gaming Thinking Caps On
  • The gaming industry has progressed from strength to strength in the past couple of decades, but what do our members feel were noteworthy titles in shaping this progression?

The old skool people can obviously quote Pong et al, but what titles have truly shaped gaming as we now know it?

Jet Set Willy may have been one of the daddies of platformers, but we can all agree that titles such as Mario, Sonic, Zelda and Ratchet and Clank etc. have moved such a genre way beyond their basic conception into new fields for our entertainment.

Space Invaders was the first real shoot em up and then we have the like of Wolfenstein and Doom in the FPS category.

My Point is that gaming has evolved a great deal since we were first able to have
  • Originally posted by Steve F STAFF@Feb 10 2003, 06:25 PM
    Lets hear what [b]YOU have to say.[/b]

Gladly, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Intellivision) would get me hooked for hours. Why? I have no idea, maybe it was the novelty of the 'new' console in the house. Hearing the snakes hissing from off the screen would send shivers down my spine. I guess that was the reason, hearing that snake would scare the crap out of me. That would have been my first 'survival-horror game'

Duck Hunt on the NES. Not so much the shooting of the ducks as it was the skeet shooting that would get me. Why? Maybe it was because I was young and the whole 'guns are cool thing' was going through my head.

Armor Battle (Intellivision), this was the first multiplayer game that I played and I must say blowing up my brothers tank would give me a perma-smile for the rest of the day. By multiplayer I mean 2 players, yes when 2 people could play game at the same time 22 years ago it was a big deal.

Donkey Kong would have been my first platform game that I played. It was just the same thing over and over but getting Mario to the top to defeat Donkey Kong was a great feeling.

There was quite a while were I did not have any console (I did, I just didn't play it) so I may seem a little out of the loop for the 'middle' gen consoles.

One game I would like to mention is Gran Turismo. I feel that this game seriously pushed the racing genre to the next level. The amount of detail that went into the game truly amazed me when I first played it. By detail I mean with the modifications with the cars themselves not the graphics. The eye-candy was something to marvel over but not as much as the mods.
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Feb 11 2003, 12:49 PM
    One game I would like to mention is Gran Turismo. I feel that this game seriously pushed the racing genre to the next level. The amount of detail that went into the game truly amazed me when I first played it. By detail I mean with the modifications with the cars themselves not the graphics. The eye-candy was something to marvel over but not as much as the mods.

You never played the Streetrods games (91/92 PC I think)? I feel they had alot more to offer in the way of
    car modifications than GT. You go shopping in the local paper, spend all your winnings on the parts you want,
    come back to your garage to beef up your beast, find out you bought parts form the wrong manufacturer, yell
    abuse at your computer when it offers you 0.1 of what you paid for the parts and then opt to go out & try to
    win the pink slips of a compatible car, consequently losing the race & you pink slips &, ultimately, the game.

Oh happy days of gaming, happy days.

• Before I say anything, please keep in mind that I am a relatively 'newbie' at gaming, and that my favourite type of game is RPGs.

That being said, I'd have to go with the first Final Fantasy as being a door opener to the RPG field. True, we laugh and gag at the graphics now, but back then I thought it was the cats meow!! It was sooooo cool to have characters that you could run around and get into battles and level up, to be able to make money to buy magic spells, to go on quests to be able to upgrade your weapons. It all was intoxicating, way back then! :lol:

The other game in my 'top two favourites', and I don't even know what genre this game is considered to be in, was Toejam and Earl on Sega!! That game would have me entranced for hours and hours!! "What's this button do?" The sound effects were hysterical and the guys were wonderful!! I'm thinking it would be considered a 'platform' game, but whatever it was, it was one of the games that opened the door to gaming for me!! :D
  • The first game I recall striking me was tank battle. My father brought home a camoflaugedcontraption which had four joysticks (two per player) there was a fire button on the right joystick of each player. My brother and I spent a multitude of hours on that simple device. It was either Atari or Activision. I'd kill to still have that thing( well not really Kill).

Tomb Raider enthralled me, the hyper-activity of moves that Lara could achieve was fscinating to me, add to that the puzzle solving required I was sold and still won't give up on the series.

THPS, for someone who's probably too old to realisticly take up X-sports, the game was so user friendly I was hooked. Sitting with your cronies hearing holy s**t how'd you do that? and answering I don't have a clue is priceless. :D
  • Originally posted by Knowze Gungk@Feb 11 2003, 11:55 AM
    the Streetrods games (91/92 PC I think)? I feel they had alot more to offer in the way of car modifications than GT. You go shopping in the local paper, spend all your winnings on the parts you want, come back to your garage to beef up your beast, find out you bought parts form the wrong manufacturer, yell
    abuse at your computer when it offers you 0.1 of what you paid for the parts and then opt to go out & try to win the pink slips of a compatible car, consequently losing the race & you pink slips &, ultimately, the game.

Oh happy days of gaming, happy days.

Hey knowze, you forgot to mention the particulary hot pinup poster in the garage. :lol: I used to play that game for hours, tuning up the motor and getting new manifolds only to crash the car in the first race.
    Did anyone ever win one of those pink slip races!?

Anyway, I feel that I havn't got that much of an idea on what revolutinary is in the game world since I never buy the latest release (old stuff is cheaper).
    I thing that Sid Mayers Civilisation was something extra as well as the jolly good ole Pirates. There was a similar game on the C-64 though, Tai -Pei I think it was called. You could read through 15 comic albums before the tape station had read through the whole thing on that one.
    Yea that's right kiddies, back in the good old days it took approxomatly half an hour to load a game and you usually had to listen to a high pitched sqeeky noise all of the time :lol: Sorry, got a bit of key.
  • Yeah Manne, I got the aqueduct race down pat, it was just a matter of counting the grates on the side to get the timing right & not going up the side too far or you'll flip the car. But I could never finish mulholland drive, I kept crashing. Oh yeah, the first time you installed a manual transmission, did you blow the engine? I had laugh when that happend to me. I thought "wow, this is the most realistic racing game ever", and I pretty much still do.

Civ, IMO, is one of the best things to happen to the gaming industry, I can't believe I didn't mention that in my first post, since I had just finished playing a few turns of Civ 3 before posting.

Do you mean Tai-Pan on the '64? Where you're a trader traveling, via sea, from city to city buying stock (like opium) where it's in abundance & cheap and selling it for a ridiculous price in cities that are running out (& the junkies are getting restless). And every now & then you'd run into pirates & have to do battle.
  • Sure did loose alot of transmissions, the thing about me and that game was and is that I have no real experiance with cars so if I ever get around to change my gearbox I KNOW I only have to losen 4 bolts and then it will come right off :lol:

Tai-Pan that's right, what did I call it? Tai -Pei!!!
    Oh how I loved that game, didn't seem to go anywere though.
    I usually kept a crew of kidnapped guys (you know you ran around town and smacked people with a stick and somehow they ended up working for you and after a week at sea the mutiny was a fact) and sailed between two towns.
    Unfortunatly you couldn't save your game (I think) so you had to start over every damn day. :lol:
    I have a picture of me sitting in a room, stacked from floor to roof with comics, waiting for that game to start already! It took like forever to load it.

I think there was a game on the comodore called Ports of call that I liked too.

Does anybody know what that game was called where you were an anti terrorist running around in a hughe building set out to stop a bomb.
    And there were these terrorists that went "Jabba guuuuuh" when they attacked? Than was a good game, maybe not unice, but good.

I think the SIMS and sim city are to be mentioned.
    That guy, was it the same!?!, made that Black an white too and it was said to be SO revolutionary. I think it sucked big time.
  • I do believe Mario started it wit platformers but it started back on the Apple IIe craze as well. It was called Pipe Dreams and was the first appearnce of the plumpl plumber if I remeber right. but that was a little off the subject at hand.

I feel several newer games paved the way for other games to follow. Tenchu was a good one for that stealth feel that appears a lot lately but I am not sure if that came first or one the Metal Gears (sorry) still a good stealth type game.

There was another game that started a trend in the sports game the name eludes me now but it was for the NES and was the first one that actually kept a running "stats" of the team and its players (that was really exciting for me cause I won't play one now unless it is standard :D ).

Oh and who could leave out good 'ole Pac- Man. :)

Wartoad
  • I think it was Donkey Kong before Super Mario Bros. Without a doubt Super Mario Bros. introduced a new "game engine" called the "side scrolling" screen and also introduced "clipping" but I believe it was Donkey Kong that stated it all.

Sorry I have to correct myself. Pong had introduced "clipping" if I'm not mistaken.

Ohh BTW for you future game programmers here a little tip start off with your own version of Pong and see how easy it is. :rolleyes:
  • Didnt the ATARI introduce side scrolling wiht Pit Fall and Space Invaders? That came way before nintendo, i would know i have Atari in working condition :D Old School games are and will always be the best because of the sole reason that they are the ones that paved the way for the games we have now.
  • Yes Gene, many side-scrollers did originate on the Atari but they weren't created by Atari(which by the way is just a namebrand owned by Infogrames now) but credit was never given to the programmers of games back then. Atari basically took credit for it all, but oh well, that's where the first easter eggs were created in Games. I would say that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest(Warrior) made a huge impact on the RPG scene and brought about a new look of RPGs into what is now known as a "console" RPG which is less roleplaying as it is a story. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • i might b alil crazy here, but i think alot of our mainstream games have alil bit of every game system put in it. Atari with its sidescrolling and pixtailed style games to the nintendo with its 4 mb upgrade still pixaled but smoother gameplay and to the playstation 2 and x box and nintendo cube with its superiority smooth gameplay and less pixtaled games. mortal kombat for one game when 1st introduced was a major game advance it was 1st game to use actors instead of drawings for the gameplay. Metal gear games were also a major fun game for some mostly b/c of the stoy telling put into it. Then lets not forget the Wolfeinstien's Castle to Doom to Quake and then to Unreal.....all with great gameplay and beautiful graphics and not to mention the ability to blow your buddys away in a bloody mess while talkin trash 2 them...lol. well theres my opinion on the advances of our joyous and wonderful gaming days.....and to the newer and better playing days ahead on better and faster gaming systems of the future. :P :rolleyes:
  • I can not believe no one has mentioned Tetris which by far the best game it has been on almost every system every gaming console which brought me back to alot of old console's.