Television And Video Games...
  • I decided that this might make a nice topic/debate...
    What is your input on T.V./Video games influencing teens to violence?

Pro:
    T.V./Video Game violence has a destructive impact on our children in America(or any other country you may live in) and causes more teen violent acts of crime than any other influence.

Con:
    Teen violence is influenced by many other factors much more influential than T.V./Video game violence.

[The reason I didn't put, for con, "T.V./Video game violence DOES NOT cause acts of violence" is because, by commen sense, T.V. and Video game violence can push a wrekless child over the edge, and I doubt that anyone here truly believes it has no effect whatsoever on teens.]

When posting a reply, please state which side you're on, and why.. And add any other info. needed.

Example:
    Con
    I believe T.V./video game violence is not likely to cause violence by itself, but other issues, such as abuse by family members etc.

Enjoy!
  • They influence violent very much, take GTA Vice City for example, Drugs, strip clubs, gangs + much more. I actually like most of the games and shows, but I am a teenager and it has no affect on me whatsoever! I know it may affect other people, but not me.
  • They dont influence, someone who says they do is completely wrong. The only thing that influences a child is their parents and what they do or not do. If a parent does not keep a close eye on their children and pay attention to what they do then it is THEIR fault for letting things get out of hand. Games and TV may contribute somewhat but that is only the reason due to lack of education and parenting. Common Sense also plays the role in it as well. TV and Games provide entertainment, they are not the means or the scapegoat to stupid people's actions.
  • The opinion that "violence in TV/video games influences violence in young teens" is to put it bluntly absolutely bollocks.

Oh, forgetting of course that time i went out on a chainsaw masacre after playing GTA3 :rolleyes:
  • Yes of course they influence teens to do acts of violence.
    Just look at the statitics.
    The largest group of videogame players is found amongst teens and the age group wich is clearly over represented in the police murder and slayngs files are also teenagers
    (mostly under the age of 16 since that is when they are most receptional).
    I think the facts speak for it self!
  • Anything can influence anybody. I would say that GTA 3 and Vice City are huge bad influences, but it all depends on how much of an influence the person in question will let it have on him/her in life. I have known several kids who play games like that and aren't bothered at all. To them it's just a game, but there are also so who are prompted to think violently and can go a little crazy.
  • Originally posted by RedKennypup2004@Feb 19 2003, 11:08 PM
    [b]Anything can influence anybody. I would say that GTA 3 and Vice City are huge bad influences, but it all depends on how much of an influence the person in question will let it have on him/her in life. I have known several kids who play games like that and aren't bothered at all. To them it's just a game, but there are also so who are prompted to think violently and can go a little crazy. [/b]

As I said, them games don't bother me, I think they are excellent games.(GTA 3 and Vice City)But I think it is the parents fault for letting kids play "18" rated games.
  • I don't think that 'we' should be pointing our fingers at other places/people to place blame. I think 'we' should be looking at our own families and evaluating our children properly by whatever means necessary. What I'm not condoning (sp?) is for parents to go out and beat your kids to a bloody pulp but to 're-educate' them for the mistakes that they made, so that they know that if they they make a mistake (I talking about big slip-ups such as stealing, vandelising, fighting, killing) there will be a heavy penalty to pay. Now if it's something like lying or something like that...well I'm going to lecture you all on how to raise your kids.

Bottom line: The farthest you have to look is your own home if it's wrong there then fix it there don't look at other people's homes and find problems. Your not doing anybody any favors.
  • Yes, TV and video games have a major influence on teenage violence.
    If teenagers don't get enough TV & video games, they will become violent.

So parents, I urge you, buy your teenagers more violent games and make
    the schoolyard a safer place.
  • Violence on TV and in video games definitely does cause aggression and not just in teens.

When I hear some
  • Parents:
    Dont blame you having dumb-ass kids on video games.

Kids:
    Dont blame video games for you being a dumb-ass.

That clear enough.
  • I think that it is at all bad considering the rating you no early child hood ,kide to adults , everone ,teens , mature and I real don't think a 6 year old child is going in to walmart and buy the bloodiest game on earth do you ?
    Any question comments email me at [email]soulspawn@death-star.com[/email]
  • I saw a show confronting the fact that there is no evidence that video/game violence is the accual fact that makes toubled teen do whatever it is that they do.
    Hell, using the same method as the reporters doing these anti game reports I could prove bread to be a cause of violent and murderus behavior.

Anyways, what they did on the show was to follow up an old video violence report from when the classic "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" premiered.

The reporter showed the old clip with two kids talking about how awful they felt and what nightmares they had and what things they acted out from the movies and so on.
    Then he got the two kids (now grown ups) and inquired them about the original report.

What had happened was that a team from a news show had come to school and asked if any kid wanted to be on TV. (needless to say most kid did).
    The team had chosen 3 kids and taken them to TV house and showed the the chainsaw massacre film.
    After the movie they had instructed the kids that they would have to act scared and shocked or else they would just find some other kids.
    One of the kids was so breathtaken about the movie and jsut kept talking about how cool it was and that's why he wasn't seen in the final clip.

The now adult kids testefied that the only thing that had caused trouble sleeping after the incident was the agressive behavior of the reporter.

And so, once more I feel that I have to say.
    Don't belive what you see on television, it's not real, it's just television.
    ;)
  • The only thing that can influence you is yourself. And by this i don't mean that everything that happens is because of you(though every action has a reaction) but rather that everyone knows what can and will affect them and their lives and there is a choice as to whether they should allow it to affect them or not. Now, there are exceptions(those that are sick and can't control ones emotions, for example) but for every decision you make, there is a reaction to what will affect you. Basically every choice you make will affect your life so of course everything you play and watch will affect you in some way because you accepted the choice to play/watch it.

So, in closing, every one of your actions causes a reaction. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • [b]On a related note, i just noticed this while looking for news stories:

[quote]Violence, videogame and the correlation the two may or may not have has been a topic of more than a bit of discussion in recent years. Today the issue comes up once again as, according to a story run by Medina County-based paper The Plain Dealer, on November 2nd one 17-year-old JoLynn Mishne was killed by her 16-year-old friend Dustin Lynch who was,
  • Videogames/TV influencing violence? Pffft!

Given the fact that I play Counter-Strike every night (yes, it's sad) and am yet to pick up a Colt and go hunting terrorists in Iraq, i'd say that it's a load of crap.
    I challenge you to find someone who spends more time playing games than I do, and compare how violent we are. I'm about as violent as a 3 week old kitten, given it has no claws or sharp teeth.

Teenagers arent violent because of tv/video games, they're violent because of drugs, family problems, and the fact that they're in a group and try to be cool. Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely delusional.
  • [quote]Originally posted by madhtr@Feb 22 2003, 04:50 PM
    [b]On a related note, i just noticed this while looking for news stories:

[quote]....

For reference, the
  • This is a bit off track but still.
    I don't belive that violence in games affects kids in any major way.
    I do belive that the gender roll in games twist the little ones brains in to a thinking that we are ready to leave behind.
    It really pisses me off that non of the female characters in FF is able punsh the face in on a fiend, they always have to resolve to curing,throwing spells or stuff or at best summoning great big beasts.
    Can there not be a woman warrior then at least make a male healer. :huh:

Maybe there are some games with these features that I ask for, I havn't played that may games. The general game does however portrait women as weaker and more of a supporting part in the fighting scenes. Wich I think helps young boys to further suppress girl in school and such.
  • Originally posted by manneman@Feb 22 2003, 03:47 PM
    It really pisses me off that non of the female characters in FF is able punsh the face in on a fiend, they always have to resolve to curing,throwing spells or stuff or at best summoning great big beasts.

You dont remember Tifa,Faris,Quistis or Selphie do you.

• That 'news report' does not explain WHY Dusin killed JoLynn, just that he was obsessed with the game.
    Why, I could kill someone and have it blamed on chocolate 'cause I am obsessed with chocolate.

Do we all see how rediculous that correlation is!?!?!?

I say it has nothing to do with the games, it has ONLY to do with the stability of the person's mind to start with, and the upbringing from the PARENTS!!!!!

Note to Mr. Gungk:
    I guess then I will have to ask you to throw me in that closet too 'cause I am a Harry Potter fan as well!! (don't forget the matches! :P )
  • Originally posted by gabriel knight+Feb 22 2003, 04:50 PM-->QUOTE(gabriel knight @ Feb 22 2003, 04:50 PM)
    [quote] <!--QuoteBegin-manneman</i>
    @Feb 22 2003, 03:47 PM

You dont remember Tifa,Faris,Quistis or Selphie do you. [/b][/quote]
    Yes I do, but not as bad @ss - front line - slayers.
    They were pretty dependant on other things then raw power. ;)
  • Originally posted by manneman+Feb 22 2003, 10:15 AM-->QUOTE(manneman @ Feb 22 2003, 10:15 AM)
    [quote] [quote]Originally posted by gabriel knight@Feb 22 2003, 04:50 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-manneman</i>@Feb 22 2003, 03:47 PM
    [b] It really pisses me off that non of the female characters in FF is able punsh the face in on a fiend, they always have to resolve to curing,throwing spells or stuff or at best summoning great big beasts.

You dont remember Tifa,Faris,Quistis or Selphie do you. [/b][/quote]
    Yes I do, but not as bad @ss - front line - slayers.
    They were pretty dependant on other things then raw power. ;)
    [/b][/quote]
    I've always had Ufie as one of my front line slayers, and she can really kick butt if you have her set up right. :P
  • Well, not sure about others but my Yuna in FFX can hit for more damage than can Auron but then again i use have used her alot more in battling. Really it all depends on how you level up your characters. It's the same for any RPG that you canchange in and out party members and it's a little more obvious in FFX because you can customize your players. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Back to the topic at hand, violence in general whether it be on TV or in a video game or witnessed first hand can make someone violent. But then again it is all in how it is dealt with by the person and those around him/her.

If a mother walks in on her son playing GTA: Vice City and he is attacking a man with a chainsaw all the while yelling "Die, Daddy Die!!!". [sarcasm]Then yes this child may have violent tendencies.[/sarcasm] Perhaps the mother should take note of this before asking him to trim the hedges with his Dad.

All in all everyone needs to keep an eye on those who may have violent tendencies.
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Feb 22 2003, 07:27 PM
    If a mother walks in on her son playing GTA: Vice City and he is attacking a man with a chainsaw all the while yelling "Die, Daddy Die!!!". Then yes this child may have violent tendencies.

MAY have???
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Feb 22 2003, 02:27 PM
    If a mother walks in on her son playing GTA: Vice City and he is attacking a man with a chainsaw all the while yelling "Die, Daddy Die!!!". [b][sarcasm]Then yes this child may have violent tendencies.[/sarcasm] Perhaps the mother should take note of this before asking him to trim the hedges with his Dad.

[/b]

It was meant to be sarcastic. I have added sarcasm tags to get the point across.
  • Hmm, maybe the problem lies with me (I do agree on Yuffie being able to kick some serios butt though).
    Maybe I'll take some time and level up Yuna for a few days, take her to the gym so to say. I really like her but she inflicts to little damage and tends to steal the show with her summonings.
    yea, Yuna is from now on gonna take the place of front line guardian, sir Auron is getting old and weak and could use some guards. ;)

I hereby close this topic within the topic!
  • Originally posted by manneman@Feb 22 2003, 07:06 PM
    [b]I really like her but. ;)
    [/b]

Sorry but I had to point that out, hehe. :D

Parents need to be aware of what their kids are doing. When kids enter the workforce they have their own money many times they are able to buy games and their parents have no idea that they have them.

So this raises another question.

Are parents allowed to snoop through their kids things to make sure that they are not hiding anything?
  • Originally posted by Rex77@Feb 22 2003, 06:45 PM

So this raises another question.

Are parents allowed to snoop through their kids things to make sure that they are not hiding anything?

ALLOWED!?!?!?!? For God's sake, he's my responsibility, and if he ever were to go out to, let's say school, one day with thoughts of blowing away some classmates, then who would be held responsible!?!? ME!!!!! I am the over-18 adult in charge of and responsible (note: RESPONSIBLE ) for him, and it is MY responsibility to see that he doesn't do dumba$$ stuff like that!!!!!!!
    You'd better believe I keep an eye on what he's got goin' on in that room of his!!!!!!! Any proper responsible parent should do the same, or they're just asking for trouble!! :angry:
  • So does that include reading journals and diaries?

Since these include the absolute truth about what is going on in their minds.

Didn't mean to upset you Suze, please don't hurt me. :(
  • Snooping around in ANYBODYS belongings, wether it be your own child or a bum you let sleep on your coutch, is a violation of that persons integraty.
    That kind of behavior only shows that you feel that you are not able to trust the person at matter.

By allowing a person the freedom of a personl life and trust that person to do the right thing you will infuse a feeling of responsabilaty in that person.
    If not, you will probably teach em that they are not responasable for their own actions and that they have to hide their every action or belonging from you, making it harder to spot if something is really wrong

That's what I think.
  • But what if you feel that this person is dire need of help?

What if they will not open up to you and tell what is wrong?

What if their actions recently lead you to believe that they have serious problems?

I think that it is ok to look through a persons things if you truly think that something is wrong and they will not open up to you or you feel they may be lying. This not only applies to your kids but your spouse as well.

In a family there should be no secrets.
  • Although all the points suggested were very thoughtful and well put, I decided to post my beliefs on the subject.

I beleive that there are many other, more influancial, factors that cause violence among teens much more so than T.V. and video game violence. Here are some of them;

1. Racism- Racism normally leads to violence and is not imposed by video games or telivision, but by parents or peirs. This is one attribute to destructive teens. Much more so that video games and telivision.

2. Peir pressure- Friends become familiar with violence as a solution to problems. The teen then becomes aware of this and immitates this behavior.

3.Family problems- A child whos parents beat him, or are constantly fighting and yelling will probably be more prone to violence than any other teen. Whether it be the living conditions of the child's home or just the way he is treated, he may view violence (again) as a solution to problems.

To my conclusion:
    The family and mental health of the child influences violence much more than telivion and video games.
  • Hi I would like to add another comment here

As a kid I use to watch G I Joe, Transformers, She-Ra, He-man, and Bugs Bunny which where in there respect the greatest cartoons (my opinoin) and extremely violent. At the end I didn't want to go out and shoot someone, or build a robot just for desturction, or grab a double handed sword and kill someone, or throw someone off a cliff, or even drop an anvil on someones head. I knew that it was just for fun and it was make believe. My mother used to let me watch it cause it made me shut my mouth so she never cared what I was watching. Howeveer, if I did slip up she would make sure I remmebered what I did wrong and made sure that I never did it again.

So you see placing blame on TV and video games is just a way for some (not all) parents to pass blame because they, themselves are bad parents.

There is an old saying (from the Karate Kid movies) that says: There is no such thing as a bad student, but there's such a thing as a bad teacher. or something like that.
  • It is the Parents responsibility to keep an eye on what there teens are playing. The parents can not blame the games, music, movies, or tv show for what there kids do. If a 15 year old boy plays GTA Vice City and then goes out and blows a cops head off and saids well I did it in a game I thought it would be ok. Were did he get the game form? his parents. The fact is parents need to spend time with there kid and not set them infront of a tv. Teach them what is wrong and right. You can not let tv games music and movies raise our children.
  • I'd like to know were he go the gun from!
  • Originally posted by flamingchopper@Feb 25 2003, 10:41 AM
    It is the Parents responsibility to keep an eye on what there teens are playing. The parents can not blame the games, music, movies, or tv show for what there kids do. If a 15 year old boy plays GTA Vice City and then goes out and blows a cops head off and saids well I did it in a game I thought it would be ok. Were did he get the game form? his parents. The fact is parents need to spend time with there kid and not set them infront of a tv. Teach them what is wrong and right. You can not let tv games music and movies raise our children.

Yes..

I absolutely despise it when parents go out and buy their son/daughter Vice City or Resident Evil, and then they complain to the media about how violant their kid has become since buying them for him/her. Perhaps parents should pay more attention to what their child is being subjected to and censor what they beleive wrong out, rather than complaining.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion