• NO,NO,NO,LALALALAlALAAA
  • Come on Gabe, nobody knows what your after.
    Is it "the Finns had threatend him with knifes if he didn't" or what? :lol:

Can't you give a clue or a new question?
  • My little bro just done this at school:

Hitler decided to not attack Dunkirk because
    1. Officially no one knows?!?
    2. But the most agreed with theory is that he needed his troops to regain there health because at this time USA and Russia were approaching fast and he didnt want Germany to be invaded so he pulled his troops back..

TA DAHHHHHHHHHHHH

I learn loads from my little bro. :P :P
  • Actually the answer i was looking for was that he was supposedly trying to make peace with the brits.

Floors open.
  • Friday the thirteenth is considered unlucky.
    Why.

(and yes this belongs here and not in the myth section)

:ph34r:
  • Even though I should be on the floor I know this answer:

Because there were 13 people at the lasts supper. (12 disciples, and Jesus)

Oops forgot a bit,

There were 13 people at the last supper then Jesus was crucifie on Good Fiday the next day.
  • France, 1307. Thursday October 12, the French king (Philip le Bel) send out a letter to every bailiff, seneschal, deputy and officer in his kingdom. There orders not to open it untill the morning of the 13th. By sundown nearly all the Knights Templar throughout France were in jails. (Supposedly only 20 escaped)
    Le Bel (the beautifal) was suffering money trouble, and the Templars had loads.By arresting the Templars, he had the money. Legend/History has it that Templar sympathizers cursed the day itself, condemning it as evil- or unlucky.

That what you after?
  • Both Friday and the number of 13 have a long history of bad luck.

The best explanation to why friday is such a day of bad luck I've heard is this.
    Friday is, as everybody knows, the norse god Frejs day.
    Frej is known as the god of procreation and so you might be able to guess what people did on fridays back in the days. ;)
    Now all of sudden all these christian munks comes along and we all now how much christian munks love groups*x.
    The day of friday was after a couple of centuries of bad PR turned into a filthy day on wich only bad things happened.

The explanation of 13 being unlucky beacuse of the number of dinner guest at the last supper is pretty good.
    I tried to find some referance to an older connection of bad luck to the number and came up with this:

"The Romans considered that the fatality followed the number whenever and for whatever purpose thirteen people gathered together."

The text didn't say why, and it's hard for me to check the accuracy of this statement.

If you think about it however, 13 is a rather odd number. It is for one thing really hard to do arithmetics with, probably beacuse it's a prime number.

I do belive, however, that Theves answer nails the two of them together pretty well. ;)
  • congrats Theve1tch, i already knew the answer, but wanted to broaden peeps horizons a little bit.
    Templar history is a "hobby" of mine.

• OK then if I know I'm right I'm right, Jesus was crucified on a Friday, causing it to be classed as a bad day, also 13 people at the last supper is the official reason why its unlucky.

Also I do not understand why you got the floor when I got the question right, please explain yourself and do some more research on the Friday 13th not just look it up on Google. :angry:
  • *sigh*
    Sorry that you are So offended.
    However, the templars are a historically validated and provable thing, jesus christ was not.
    There is far more proof of the templars from the historical writtings and archetecture.

The day of the christs death (heck even his birth) are things that even the church argues about, they admit he wasnt born in december, they admit that he was born in what we now recognize as february.

Im not here to piss on fires or rant at/about relegious figures, im here because i like PS gaming and i have a hobby in history, actually, its more than a mere hobby, i study relegions, histories and archeologies because i want to get to the root of the human condition, it fascinates me.

A mere google search will only bring upo the scant details, it wont bring up the list of the names of the templars who handed them selves over for execution, it wont bring up the links between the various royal families, it wont bring up the links between the modern big businesses and the liniages of the templars.

Im not gonna go on about this as i know i'll get "coolered" because i am passionate about and i do know about it.

Besides, if you've watched Dogma you'd know there were 13 disciples.
    Snoogans.

• Originally posted by Blaqasphalt@Feb 1 2003, 08:58 AM
    they admit he wasnt born in december, they admit that he was born in what we now recognize as february.

I'm from the Orthodox religion and I somewhat agree with this statement the first part to be exact. However, the part that I don't agree with is the part that "they admit he was born in what we now recognize as February." part You do know that the current calendar we have is not the calendar they had when Jesus was born, but the dates where moved back 14 days for some reason (I don't know why, but it was).

That is why there are two types of Orthodox religious calendar's the new calendar and the old. And to my knowledge the old calendar Orthodox (me being the part of the new calendar Orhtodox) celebrate (sp?) the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ on January 7th. This is another reason as to why us luckey Orthodox faith get to celebrate Easter twice a year. hehe :D ;) (There's the nuge)

I would like to know one thing: Can you show me the reason of this statement? Where did you find the evidence for this to be true?

I'm not saying that your wrong I would just like another insight to this very interesting topic.
  • when a romanized calender came about, then it was re hashed by the gregorians to the calender we know and love this day and age.
    Once, all the months had the same amount of days (they didnt bother with the hour forward/hour back) we have these days either.

As for evidence, go look in the old books in the library, go look at the gamut of online libraries, go look in the church books, go ask the older priests, heck, if you can afford it, go to rome, learn latin and look at the books in the vatican city.

Its all out there, its just a matter of finding it.

But this has all wandered away from the point of the reason this topic is here.
    (or has it.)

• Originally posted by Blaqasphalt@Feb 1 2003, 08:58 AM
    Besides, if you've watched Dogma you'd know there were 13 disciples.

Oh and by the way,

Don't base regilion on a comedy. Dogma is a fictious event with very commical events. There were 12 disciples and including Jesus it was 13.
  • Ok...but wan't the first translation made in ancient Greek? and why I want to learn Latin when you could try to learn Ancient Aribaic (sp?) and try to read the Dead Sea Scrolls if you could them I mean (that would be a very expensive read)
  • Can't a guy have a little humour these days?

As for the dead sea scrolls, they laser copy them and are able to read even the really old n manky ones now.
    Kinda neat really.
    *mutter*
    Shame we cant get in to the room between the sphinxs paws...*

But hey this is Waaay OT.
    *wanders away before getting told off.*

• I've had enough this question shouldn't have started up in the first place as I got the question Gabriel asked right, so if anyone is unfamiliar with the rules its my question end of argument because I don't want anyone to go to the cooleer!!

In religious times (times of the old testament) there were many heroic tales one story is ??? and Delihah - Question:Please replace any question marks with answers - how did ??? lose his ???.

Have fun, it should be easy
  • *Moan, moan, moan, winge.....Its my go, they're not playing fair.....winge, moan, moan.*

In religious times (times of the old testament) there were many heroic tales one story is ??? and Delihah - Question:Please replace any question marks with answers - how did ??? lose his ???.

Samson and Delihah.
    How did Samson lose his strength.

Oh you want me to answer that as well???
    Delihah (his wife) betrayed Samson to the Romans (i think), by cutting his hair, thus losing his strength, but the Romans then forgot to kepp Samsons hair short. One day Samson was in a temlpe, chained to a piller, lost his cool, and pulled the temple down.

That the long and short of it, from what i remember.
  • ALRIGHT ALREADY!!!!!! I've had enough of this childish quibbling!!!!!! :angry:

(quote from barbed wire)
    My little bro just done this at school:

Hitler decided to not attack Dunkirk because
    1. Officially no one knows?!?
    2. But the most agreed with theory is that he needed his troops to regain there health because at this time USA and Russia were approaching fast and he didnt want Germany to be invaded so he pulled his troops back..

TA DAHHHHHHHHHHHH
    [/b]

Then there's the quote from Gabe, which is NOTHING like what you said Barbed_wire,

Originally posted by gabriel knight@Jan 31 2003, 11:31 PM
    Actually the answer i was looking for was that he was supposedly trying to make peace with the brits.

Floors open.
    ...... not to mention the fact that, as the poser, Gabe was the one in the position to say whether or not anyone answered the way he had in mind, and as no one did, he opened up the floor. (hence the "Floor's open"!!) THAT MEANS IT WAS OPEN TO WHOMEVER CAME ALONG!!!!!!!! :angry: It just so happens that it was Blaqasphalt, and then Manneman answered correctly, so it is Manne's turn to pose one.

THOSE ARE THE RULES!!! Let's all please stick to them!!!!!!!

Manne, if you would please take YOUR floor, we'll all be ready...... and let's stick with the program here everyone, ok!? :angry:
  • Originally posted by Theve1tch@Feb 1 2003, 04:09 PM

Delihah (his wife) betrayed Samson to the Romans (i think),

Although it's been awhile, I believe Samson was betrayed (by Delilah) to the Philistines, Theve, old buddy. Up to that point, he had made a career out of brutally butchering them, and I believe the story can be found in the Book of Judges.
  • Lets get this one running again.

Who is asking the next question and what is the question since some people are answering to barbeds question even thought it isnt his turn.

Will someone sort it out or do i have to post another question.
  • Originally posted by Blaqasphalt@Feb 1 2003, 09:29 PM
    congrats Theve1tch, i already knew the answer, but wanted to broaden peeps horizons a little bit.
    Templar history is a "hobby" of mine.

Well I guess it's Theve1tch's turn.
  • Originally posted by Susan B STAFF@Feb 2 2003, 04:30 AM
    It just so happens that it was Blaqasphalt, and then Manneman answered correctly, so it is Manne's turn to pose one.

THOSE ARE THE RULES!!! Let's all please stick to them!!!!!!!

Manne, if you would please take YOUR floor, we'll all be ready...... and let's stick with the program here everyone, ok!?

Would take it but not my go. If its free when i next come on i'll pose a question, but as far as im concerned its Manneman's floor.
  • What tha h*ll happened here.
    Well since I am in charge,

What year came before the year 1 AD?
    This isn't a tick question, it's just really easy so that we get this thing rolling again.
  • :blink: 0 A.D. or 0 B.C. (or as the PC groups now call it B.C.E. before comman era!)
  • Was it 1 B.C, because it was 1 year to Christ's birth......or something like that???
  • I don't think that there ever was a year 0 Theve, how would that sound?
    This was the year zero before Christ, meaning it was null years befor Jesus was born

1 BC is the correct answer (as far as I know) and the price goes to Stonewall
  • I don't know any good questions to ask so i will open the floor to whoever wants it.
  • Alrighty then, if you're sure? :unsure:

What single disaster had claimed the most New Zealand lives, until the Erebus crash occured in 1979?

• Was it the Napier Earthquake, with just one fewer death than the Erebus crash?! :blink: :(
  • :D Do you want chocolate or raspberry sauce on your accolade? :P
    Correct as usual! The floor's in tip-top condition, and all your's!

• Mmmmmm, raspberry please!! :D Thank you kindly Dear Lady!!

What was used to wash the dead bodies of the Pharaohs as part of the first step in mumification??

(hint: There were two things)
  • Fiberglass, Clorox, and Rubber?

J/K. I seem to remember that they were stuffed like a turkey with garlic and onions, so they probably gave a care to aroma. Lemmesee, how about oil and garlic?
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Mar 8 2003, 12:35 AM
    Fiberglass, Clorox, and Rubber.

Ya know, there's three kinds of people in the world:

Those who can count

and those who can't! :lol: :P

• Nope, neither one!

(sounds like a good preparation for Thanksgiving dinner though!)
    :D
  • Probaly goats milk, didn't they bathe in that stuff.
    Mmmm, the smell of a freshly bathed body in the hot Egyptian sun. :lol:
    I say goats milk and urin.
  • You mean when the body was ready to be dried, after the removal of the organ's etc?
    Well in that case it would be Natron, a natural salt, which would help to draw out all the fluids. The body would then be left for around 40 days. :)

They also used herb's and perfume to wash the body prior to the salt treatment. The oils and spices were used after the body had been properly dried.....this aided in the prevention of the skin cracking before it was wrapped. The body was usually stuffed with linen, sand or sawdust and beeswax was pushed up the nostrils! :D
  • Originally posted by Bid@Mar 10 2003, 01:34 AM
    natural salt

That's what I said!
    Urin. :P :lol:

• Actually, I was looking for what they used before they ripped out all the good stuff! :blink: (love how they used a long hook to snag the brain and yank it out through the nostrils!! I've a list of people I'd like to do that to ALIVE!! Muuahahahahahaaa!!)

Anyway, yeah, there were two things that they used as a first step to cleanse the body, before they did anything else, including removing the organs and such.
    (who wants kidney pie!?!?) :lol:
  • Maybe they just used water? (prehaps from the holy river Nile)
    And what else, soap? Nah, I don't think they had soap. Some sort of perfume so that the guys taking out the intestants wouldn't throw up.
  • Originally posted by manneman@Mar 14 2003, 01:13 AM
    . Some sort of perfume

That's what I said! (Tit for Tatt, tehehe :D ) They used a mixture of Herb's and Perfume, to wash the body down with.

Mr Chief Priest dude, complete with 'Anubis mask! Would wash down the body, while one of the lesser dude's, read aloud "Magic Spell's"! :ph34r:
    When the body was clean enough (or the Chief Priest, became tired of the other guy's drooning, monotoned voice!), the body was then ready for embalming!
  • palm wine and Nile water
  • Susan my dear, would you be so kind to sort out if anyone is right, and then maybe, i dont know, give the floor away to a winner if there is one? or post a new question? or maybe even give the floor to the first person to step in? :cunning:

• Sorry sorry sorry..... sheeeeeesh, one would almost think I had a brain or something..... or, maybe not! :unsure:

Anyway..... I'd say it'd have to be Spiderklown who was the closest to what I was looking for:

Date's wine and water from the Nile.

Go ahead spiderklown, let's get this train back on the track again!! :peace:

Oh, and thanks Theve for pointing this out to me!! :D
  • Sigh, this trivia will never continue so I'll just make a question.

What countries were involved in the calamari union.
  • Italy, Greece, and Malta?
  • You.....are...............WRONG!!!!
  • Thank you, GK. Kindly bugger off. :shy:
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Aug 5 2003, 09:22 AM
    Thank you, GK. Kindly bugger off. :shy:

I would but my arse has rooted itself onto the chair.I'm not sure when it did that but it's quite hard to get up.
  • And there's me thinking The Calamari Union was a finnish film (directed by Aki Kaurismaki) about a bunch of guys called Frank that travel through Helsinki to escape to the seaside!

:woot:

I think there is a band of the same name too!
    Just goes to show ya eh??!

Guess it's about time your butt became un-rooted from that chair, Gab and you put us all out of our misery!

:cry:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion