Roleplaying Games - Am I The Only One?
  • There doesn't seem to be an abundance of RPG gamers around here :( Granted, we're still working on getting new members, but still :(

Anyway, I've been playing Suikoden V and it is <3. I never played any of the past games in the series and it's definitely not required to understand the story. I'm only about 1/4 of the way tthrough, but I would recommend this to other RPG players.
  • the only RPG for me this year, if i only had to choose one that is, would be ff12 !! been waiting YEARS for it.
  • QUOTE(A-J @ Apr 17 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]61193[/snapback]

the only RPG for me this year, if i only had to choose one that is, would be ff12 !! been waiting YEARS for it.
    [/b]

Well, that looks like it'll be a good one to wait for. I watched an MTV interview online the other day where they went inside Square Enix's LA offices. They showed English screens of FF12 and it looked hot. I know of at least on of the voice actors and that they've been recording since February, so here's to hoping for a very quick release.
  • The problem with me playing RPG games at the moment, as I found to my dismay, is that I get too involved in them. At a time where I really should be studying for exams, the only games I can play are ones that I can just pick up, have a blast of about ten minutes on, switch off and then hit the books again. With an RPG I'd switch on, intending to play for ten minutes, awake from a daze twelve hours later and realise I'm still playing.

So sadly there'll be few RPG-moments for me over the next year or so, but after my exams I'm fully intending to lock myself in my bedroom and get down to some hardcore gaming.
  • im just hoping square hire better female voice actresses for it.. the one's in FFX made .. well absolutely horrific character voices
  • QUOTE(A-J @ Apr 17 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]61219[/snapback]

im just hoping square hire better female voice actresses for it.. the one's in FFX made .. well absolutely horrific character voices
    [/b]

Hmmmm, I liked ther voice acting in FFX, so I guess I hope they're about the same. ^^;
  • I'm all for the RPGS! Final Fantasy, Suikoden, the Chrono games, any of that! Then again, I haven't played Suikoden since the original, so I can't say much on that side of things!

Either way, if it's an RPG, that's my kinda deal!
  • [i]Role Playing Games? BRING THEM! >O I'll play any RPG-one.

Still, I can say that games like Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, any Nippon Ichi game is MY kinda game. ;DD

Still, I got Final Fantasy X-2 for 10
  • I've never been keen on games like FF but I would like a good traditional RPG. Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath are good fun if you just want a bit of hack 'n' slash or mighty magics but they lack plot and immersion. However, the multiplayer option is a huge bonus.

It would be so cool if someone would make a proper (multiplayer) RPG but I fear it'll never happen :(
  • QUOTE(Massaki @ Apr 20 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]61421[/snapback]
    [quote]
    [i]Role Playing Games? BRING THEM! >O I'll play any RPG-one.

Still, I can say that games like Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, any Nippon Ichi game is MY kinda game. ;DD

Still, I got Final Fantasy X-2 for 10
  • what is you guys's general opinion on the new suikoden game ?
  • The new Suikoden game... It must be Suikoden V, isn't it? If it is, I can't say much about it. Despite the fact that it had some good reviews in its favour. Anyways, I would mind to try the game out, as Suikoden IV did catch my attention, but the same question stumbles upon me... Where to find it...

I do know that Internet is the answer to all problems, but one must not rely too much on it. ;s
  • I have never really been able to get into the RPG genre. I have ventured that path with a few games, I got into Phantasy Star WAAAAaaaay back when, but then all of a sudden my tastes changed.
  • Suikoden V is actually a really good game so far. You can read my impressions in the thread I started in this forum. Apparently I am too lazy to link to it, either that, or I forgot to copy the link first. In any case, good game, a few flaws, but still fun to play. Better games IMO:

1. Kingdom Hearts II
    2. Dragon Quest VIII

It should be noted that I loved Drakengard and Drakengard 2, so you might not have the same likes and dislikes as I do. The freaky cannibal babies near the end of the original had me crapping my pants in excitement. It doesn't help that I'm creepy, I guess :P
  • QUOTE(madhtr @ Apr 21 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]61468[/snapback]

Suikoden V is actually a really good game so far. You can read my impressions in the thread I started in this forum. Apparently I am too lazy to link to it, either that, or I forgot to copy the link first. In any case, good game, a few flaws, but still fun to play. Better games IMO:

1. Kingdom Hearts II
    2. Dragon Quest VIII

It should be noted that I loved Drakengard and Drakengard 2, so you might not have the same likes and dislikes as I do. The freaky cannibal babies near the end of the original had me crapping my pants in excitement. It doesn't help that I'm creepy, I guess :P
    [/b]

Then I guess I should take a deeper look into Suikoden V then.

Now, Dragon Quest VIII... Sincerely, I MUST purchase that game. I once saw it on a shop shelf, and I thought to myself, I should just buy it or wait a bit more until I had more money. Things is i decided to wait. But heck, the game's superb, and I pparticularly like the art, if it weren't Akira Toroyama's work, i wouldn't be saying that.

Kingdom Hearts II is obvious. The first one was awesome and I don't think Square-Enix is going to screw it. Can't wait until it is released.

Drakengard. Kill them all I say! If it weren't for my love for Dynasty Warrior and Crimson Sea 2 and all that Hack 'n' Slash. I wouldn't like much. Still, I have to admit the first one sure had some flaws. Haven't seen much about Drakengard 2, so I can't say much about it...

And what about Shin Megami Tensei? Anyone ever played those? Such as Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne/Lucifer's Call? I'd love to get one of those. ;S ;)
  • Yeah, Atlus does a good job with them, I must say. One thing to be prepared for, IF you can find copies of Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, as well as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.... the difficulty is high. And I don't mean that enemies have ungodly amounts of HP.... just that the game is very hard. If you don't mind this, all of them are excellent games. DDS is especially nice, and not quite as difficult as Nocturne. If you do some digging, I'm sure you can find the games, though, since you're in the UK, DDS may not be out quite yet (I think it was May that I saw a release date for it).
  • RPG's are not my thing at all - too much faffing on with um!

I tried to get into FF but just couldnt get my head round it
  • RPGs are assuredly not for everyone, just like any genre might not be for someone. For example, I dislike FPS titles, though obviouslly millions other froth over them. It happens ^^ In any case, RPGs is the number one genre for me.
  • have you guys read the news scoop on Phantasy star Universe, besides a promise ******* awesome online mode, it also comes with a 40 hour adventure role playing story mode as well. Win win for all.
  • QUOTE(A-J @ Apr 22 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]61540[/snapback]

have you guys read the news scoop on Phantasy star Universe, besides a promise ******* awesome online mode, it also comes with a 40 hour adventure role playing story mode as well. Win win for all.
    [/b]

Indeed, Phantasy Star Universe is one of the games that I am anxiously waiting to be released. Being a fan of Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II and Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution (Yes, I own a GameCube as well), I can hardly wait to see what new things they have done. I just hope they still maintained their Character Creation system, even though previous ones were very simple, I hope they had the idea of adding some more features to change.
  • http://www.pso-world.com/index.php

check out that site, it has ALL the info on the upcomming PSU, both offline and online modes.
  • i finished oblivion and thats the best one ive played
  • QUOTE(madhtr @ Apr 16 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]61187[/snapback]

There doesn't seem to be an abundance of RPG gamers around here :( Granted, we're still working on getting new members, but still :(
    [/b]

Oh come on now madhtr
    The ONLY games I play on Playstation are RolePlaying Games.

I'm about to finish up playing Final Fantasy IX. Yeah, I know it's an oldie. Bear with me. :tongue:
    I've logged about 20 hours on that game just playing the chocobo games...searching for chocographs. It's quite a handful..but I love it!
  • I play rpgs. I have played alot of the older FF games. I played FF9 and that was good. My daughter is currently playing FF8. I mostly play rpgs or the action games, nothing else realy.
  • I'm another RPG fan. Granted, I am not as well-versed as some of you others are, I mainly like the FF series, TR and RE, but I did love Kingdom Hearts and am looking forward to KH2 as well. Love the Wild Arms ones as well.
  • What would be a good RPG for a 12 year old fairly new at playing ?

My daughter just finished Sims 2 for the 3rd time and I want to get her something on similar lines as she loved it so much.

She also enjoyed the Boulders Gate / Champions series.
  • Shagger, I would recommend probably Final Fantasy VII. The battle system is fairly easy to understand and such. The only other one I would probably recommend would be Kingdom Hearts. That one is fairly nice and easy to understand. So there are my recommendations.

It's hard to compare something to the Sims 2. The Sims 2 is really kinda it's own entity in my opinion. ^_^
  • Thanks Red ;)

The Sims is really totally different to everything else and she totally loved it, maybe the whole PC series will eventually come out on PS2 or even better on PSP as she never let's hers out of her sight.
  • I agree with Red, Kingdom Hearts is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Wild Arms is another one I would suggest. Easy-to-understand gameplay and battle system, friendly-looking characters, and attractive music.
  • MMORPGS 4TW!

I play Shadowbane (Mainly) and occasionally play WoW
  • I just finished Wild ARMs 4 not 20 minutes ago. Great game, if not a little on the short side (Beat it in 25 hours). THe ending nearly made me cry, but I wasn't paying enough attention to it to make me. The one problem with RPGs is that many of them have sad scenes in them, so you need to be prepared for those. Action RPGs normally don't run into problems like this though.

Kingdom Hearts is a good choice, but I'm not so sure I'd recommend FF7 to someone unless they don't mind the PSX graphics to go along with PSX gameplay. If she's into old school RPGs, though, then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Im a massive lover of RPG games;

although I havent played as many as I would have liked, I did have a copy of Legend of Dragoon a few years back and I loved that game! Sold it on ebay for like $70 apparently it is rare as hell. I got it secondhand from the video store for $15. Not bad.
  • I've played RPG's for sometime now. On my old Amiga (R.I.P) I played many of the SSI Dungeon and Dragons games ie, Pools of Radience, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pool of Darkness and so on.

On the PS1 I played Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9 but they really didn't do it for me. Vandle Hearts 2 was a good game. But my fave on the PS1 is Vagrant Story. Best game I've played on the PS1.

With the PS2, I bought FFX but just couldn't get into it. Too linear. Like Lola, I enjoy Baldurs Gate and Champions of Norath. A good old stress relieving hack'n'slash :punk:

Currently the main RPG I am playing is Oblivion on the PC. This game is awesome. :punk:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion