• Ive been to my smoking cessation network meeting today and was told that we (the north east) have the best record in the country to get people to stop smoking (yey us!!)
    As the world is becoming more and more anti-smoking (Next year england will become smoke free) i was wondering if people here smoked and wether you felt there is a greater stigma attached to it now than there was before

This isnt for any reports, other than any interesting stories i may use with clients - am always looking for 'sucsess stories' of people who have quit to pass on!! It makes a big difference to clients to know other people have been through it. I find it hard to connect to some of them as im not (nor ever have been) a smoker. However i have a great respect for ANYONE who tries to quit!!!

Cigarettes are the only thing that, even if you use them correctly, as they were meant to be used - They will still kill you!
  • This really doesn't apply to me as I have been an asthmatic for most of my life and deathly allergic to smoke. But I do know quite a few people who have come through it...the only one that may actually make a difference in your situation to tell oddish is this one:

My gramma on my dad's side was a smoker until she heard that my brother was an asthmatic and so she stopped smoking because she wanted to spend time with her grandchildren. My mom wouldn't let us near my grandmother if she had been outside and/or had a cigarette in her hand or smelled of it ever.

Most of my family on my dad's side smokes or chews..but they have all stopped because they wanted to spend time with my siblings and I and they knew that if they couldn't do it while smoking might as well quit.

My gramma said it's a really hard thing to do..but in the end of that habit in her case, it was worth it.

Sorry I can't really relay a story of mine off. I have not been a smoker and even so if I were to smoke right now it'd land me kicked out of my university. :g:
  • Grandmother passed away two years ago from Lung cancer, she smoked quite a bit. My grandpa still smokes even though it killed his wife.

I think that the better awareness of what smoking can do to you thesedays prevents a lot of people from smoking. or scares them out of it.

Then again, its a personal choice, people will always smoke, its a hard habit to kick for some people. And as long as it is legal, it will be done.

Personally I feel that it would be fine if it was done in moderation, the same with alchohol. Fine in moderation, bad in large amounts.
  • Not for me, when I was 15-16 at school, all of my mates would bug me to smoke as I was one of the few who didn't, but stuck by my guns - I know many who gave into peer pressure but never me, it's expensive, your breath smells - not to mention it kills you, etc... just not that appealing!

Our work has actually now got rid of the smoking room we used to have in the staff area - and anybody wanting to smoke has to walk outside and into the loading bay area at the very back of the store, which actually takes about 10 of the 15 minute breaks we have.

I'll certainly be happy when I can come home from a night out clubbing or pubbing and NOT stink of smoke.
  • I'm a smoker :(

Started smoking when I was 14. When I was 18 I had a pretty bad bike accident which crushed my nose and forced me to quit. Lucky me...... It was really easy to quit too, I just stopped.

12 years later during my extremely hectic divorce I started again. Altho it helped at the time it's just and addictive habbit now again, just really hard to quit this time round. Think I've actually quit twice this week already. Don't even have a pack with me right now but that doesn't mean when I go past the shop just now I won't get some. :bag:
  • my last smoke other than the one off.....was october. and i smoked reds. you'll get there shagger
  • I don't smoke. I have tried, but never found it worth while. I like to drink beer instead.
  • QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ May 14 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]63093[/snapback]

I don't smoke. I have tried, but never found it worth while. I like to drink beer instead.
    [/b]

When I drink beer, or anything alchoholic I smoke even more.........
  • Yeah, I'm a smoker.
    You know, it is very hard to quit, especially when you have been doing it for over 20 years. The wife smokes so that doesn't help either. I've tried the gum. I've tried the patches. Nothing seems to work. I use smokeless tobacco when I am in places I can't smoke (like work, public places, airports).

There has been a campaign to try to make smokers feel like second class citizens. It's a free world (most of the time) so what I do should be my business. I understand and agree with not smoking indoors in public places, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous to tell me I can't smoke outdoors. :angry:

I recently was in Columbus Ohio and they do not allow you to smoke just anywhere outdoors at the airport. They have "designated smoking areas" outdoors, which seems absurd to me. The amount of exhaust from autos coming and going, dropping off passengers, is more harmful than my little cigarette. I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure the ratio of air to smoke outdoors makes my cigarette less of a pollutant than hundreds of autos coming and going, especially in a covered area. :wacko:
  • Yes, I'm a smoker!!! I don't really smoke as much as I used to though now that I'm working again.Might have something to do with the fact I can't smoke at work. I'd quit but jdm smokes like a chimney(3 packs aday to my maybe 1 pack)hard to stop when your spose is still doing it.

• Yes the infamous jdm does or rather did smoke 3 packs a day, I've now cut down to about 2 1/2. I respect poeple who choose not to smoke or choose to quit. I myself have not reached that point.

I will quit when I awake with a revelation and that will be it. No pills, no patches, no hypnosis, no therapy, no acupuncture, no support group. It will be my descision and that will be it. However I may never reach that point.

I do realize the risks, my father had a Tracheotomy due to throat cancer and is now on Oxygen.

BTW, all the anti-smoking propoganda has the opposite effect on me. I am an adult, I vote, I pay my taxes, I respect the laws reguarding smoking. Treating me like a second class citizen or ostracizing me for choice actually ticks me off and makes me rebel. This isn't aimed at the posters here, it's the media and politicians and born-again non-smokers who rile me.

On a happier note, if I ever meet any of you and the smoking offends or annoys, I have no problem being courteous and respectful of others, however in my house ya just gotta let me be me. :)
  • I had a husband and wife who came in together to quit!!

I personally think that there are more time-bomb health matters out there at the moment - yes smoking costs the NHS but what about Obesity and sickness off work??. Sometimes i do feel like they 'pick on' the smokers of this country just to get there 'sucsess story' numbers up to make us look good. The area i work has the highest rate of sickness benefit and unemployment in the country. And nothing is being done to stop this. People may start to look after their own health better if they had something to do other than produce 100 kids before the age of 18 just so they can get a bigger council house and more benefits than their friends

I mean me and tiff eat VERY healthy! One reason because im on a diet but the more important reason is that his mum and dad both died at a relativly young age due to heart attacks which puts him at risk. So he is on a controlled diet too. This costs us an absolute fortune each week in food bills. If we were eating fish fingers and chips and burgers we would be able to feed 4 of us on our budget for the 2 of us.

• QUOTE(jdm1108 @ May 18 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]63434[/snapback]
    I will quit when I awake with a revelation and that will be it. No pills, no patches, no hypnosis, no therapy, no acupuncture, no support group. It will be my descision and that will be it. However I may never reach that point.

I do realize the risks...

BTW, all the anti-smoking propoganda has the opposite effect on me. I am an adult, I vote, I pay my taxes, I respect the laws reguarding smoking. Treating me like a second class citizen or ostracizing me for choice actually ticks me off and makes me rebel. This isn't aimed at the posters here, it's the media and politicians and born-again non-smokers who rile me.

On a happier note, if I ever meet any of you and the smoking offends or annoys, I have no problem being courteous and respectful of others, however in my house ya just gotta let me be me. :) [/b]
    I totally agree with you JDM. I smoke about 1/2 a pack a day. However I do not smoke in the house. I am perfectly happy to go outside. I don't mind what the weather is doing.

I have said it before I will say it again, I want to see special incentives for women who are pregnant to quit smoking. Also for people who smoke indoors around kids, TAKE IT OUTSIDE!

• Tobacco was my constant companion for about 25 years.

I started with chewing tobacco at 15. I played baseball for many years, and tobacco was with me the entire time. After baseball, I continued to chew, and added smoking. I liked Lucky Strikes (no filters) but switched to reds later. After some years I gave up smoking, as I tired of people hitting me up for smokes, and I returned to Copenhagen and Red Man. I was able to cut down to chewing only when I go fishing, and slowly weaned myself off of tobacco altogether, which is where I am now. Nicotine-free

Except, of course, for the "occasional" Macanudo. :D
  • I have only one thing to say about smoking!!!...It's just plain stupid!!!!

Sorry guys, but that's true. Here in Portugal we see an increasing number of people smoking now...even small kids at the age of 9 or 10!!!!!! :o
    I'm a nurse (yes, it's true...there are MALE nurses!!!!), been working for 2 years...8 months in an Oncology Hospital...I'm sure you've never seen what I have so far...and the sad thing is (sad and truely humanly hipocrit) that, when people are in a real jam, just waiting for a push to cross the death line, they actually say they would quit if they had the chance...then, whennever they get better, all they think about is getting up to go for a smoke!!!!...how ridiculous is this!?!?!!?

aside from the disease itself, there's another disease factor...the fact that most smokers do not respect non-smokers freedom!!!...and yes people, I constantly see people getting sick (children, adults, women and men) suffering having never picked up a cigarrette!!!!!...GROW UP PEOPLE!!!!!! :censored:

This a huge subject...and it upsets me a LOT...so I better stop here...
  • Never really had a desire to smoke as I didn't see the point. Having said that, I used to smoke on and off when on my travells overseas. Spent time travelling/trekking in Nepal mid 80's and Africa late 80's early 90's and was a little partial to cigars (ahh the good old days before responsibilities and mortgages)B) .
  • I started smoking full time in my late teens. I guess I I smoked for about 15 years or so. Had a few times where I kicked it for a while but soon returned. Eventually I just got tired of feeling like crap and having to pay more and more for the stuff, most of which goes out for government taxes (license to print money). I don't miss it now and will never do it again, even while drinking! It would be especially difficult if your partner smokes also. It would be tough to live with the smell. The gums and patches etc. seem to me to be a quick fix solution which doesn't really get the job done. If it doesn't come from inside, it's not going to happen. Just like the old joke - How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? Only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change. Other people smoking doesn't bother me too much. What really bugs me is when folks use the world as their ash tray. Especially when someone decides to just upend their ash tray wherever, if they even use one.
  • QUOTE(James VanB. @ Jun 18 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]65976[/snapback]

What really bugs me is when folks use the world as their ash tray. Especially when someone decides to just upend their ash tray wherever, if they even use one.
    [/b]

That's just disgusting!!! I've never seen anyone empty an ashtray out.. "where-ever". How dispicable!!!
    When my first husband and I were dating he smoked like a fiend. Used to empty the ashtray out into the toilet... clogged that toilet up all the time!! :blink: Sheeeeesh Did he learn!? NOOOO!!! (he let ME go, that should show what an idiot he is!) :laugh:
  • I knew a guy who used to empty them into the kitchen trash. Had to give that up when he ended up incinerating the whole kitchen. Yoiks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion