Animal Testing
  • What are your views on animal testing? Just seen an article on the news about this.

Presonally - I think in the cases of medicines and other 'medical products' then it should be allowed. Especially as we have no other way to test these. EVERY medicine in the UK (not sure about other countries) must go through rigourous Aminal testing before its fit for medical trials on humans. Although with the recent scandal of the medical test this isnt an absolute!

I dont think its right to test cosmetics on animals.

• Although I am really an animal lover myself, I have not made a decision as to which side I am for on this topic. I haven't researched it well enough to give you my educated answer..but i will say this...I'm not saying I agree with this, I just am logically trying to put light to the other side.

Animals are tested on because if something goes wrong in the testing they are "dispensible". If animals were not tested on...where would our medicenes and such be? They would have to be tested out on humans. Bugs are a little too different from humans to really track effects..and animals are the closest choice.

If it means saving humans from becoming guinea pigs then I can advocate for animal testing..but if it's unnecessary testing then I would probably side with you oddy. :g:
  • Animal Testing is one of those really contentious issues.

A lot of the time, the "Animal Lovers" side really isn't educated on the topic, like you said Red, and they tend to fuel their argument with pure emotion. Which is totally pointless really.

Any form of animal testing where the animals are treated to a gross amount of pain or death I am totally against. That's just totally unsolicited bull :pooh:

Most cosmetics testing is simply applying products to the skin of animals to test rashes and allergic reactions, rarely does death occur. On the other hand you have medicinal testing, where, most of the time, too small a dose is given to have a violent reaction or death. Animal testing is important for development or research for cures of cancer, and many other diseases. Animal testing has been at the forefront of medical breakthroughs, it greatly assists in curing once incurable diseases.

Therefore, case in pint, I am for animal testing as long as it remains at a humane level, without knowledge of pain caused, or death.
  • What kind of animals are we talking about? Are we talking mice and rats or are we talking monkeys?
    *Some would say we are talking monkeys, but that's a different subject.*

As for mice and rats, it does not bother me. When it comes to monkeys, that is where I start to waver. Chimps and the like are intelligent, social creatures. For the advancement of medical treatments and technology, unfortunately some have been made to suffer and die. I imagine it is a horrible life being caged up, poked, prodded, injected and studied. We justify it by saying we are saving lives but at the same time we are destroying life too. This one is a hard one to call.

If it's going to save my mother's life I am all for it. If it is only going to make her eye shadow or lipstick hypo allergenic, no.

What about using death row inmates for medical testing? Give them a chance to volunteer for a program and make a final contribution to society before we put them to death anyways? Let the medical companies pay these death row inmates and then that money could be used to repay the victims and their families?

One final thought... Since we happen to be at the top of the food chain, we have the luxury of doing this to lower lifeforms, if we choose. Let's hope there isn't an alien race out there who stumbles across our planet and looks at us as talking monkeys they can experiment on!
  • I have no problems with animal testing for cosmetics if it is done in a humane manner, I see it no different than raising animals for meat.

As for medical testing go for it all, if it has to be the most painful, inhumane test ever to save the lives of human beings then so be it. There is a reason we are on top of the food chain.

I love your idea Charger, except use them for the most painful, inhumane tests ever.

• hmm.....animal testing you say....ok i would HATE to have something tested on anyone of the million pets i own ar any animal for that matter....but unless i see a human jump up to the idea of testing on themselves...what choice do we have?? its a redicilious cycle
  • As for mice and rats, it does not bother me. When it comes to monkeys, that is where I start to waver. Chimps and the like are intelligent, social creatures. For the advancement of medical treatments and technology, unfortunately some have been made to suffer and die. I imagine it is a horrible life being caged up[/b]

I'm an animal lover myself, especially with chips and gravy :laugh: . Seriously though, testing on mice and rats doesn't bother me a great deal but testing cosmetics on our primal ancestor friends goes, it feels a little too close for comfort.
  • I'm definitely not a believer in testing on animals for this stuff- they should have a good idea of any effects by just knowing what they put in (bet of some knew what was in things like say, lipstick, they would never use it again).
  • For medical testing, I have no problem with testing on animals, but for "recreational-use" item testing.. that is just awful and I see no need for it whatsoever!!! Just use natural ingredients and ya won't have to worry about it!!! Grrrrrr, abusing animals like that is just sad!! It's not just the idea of putting a little rash on its arm, it's the whole way that poor little critter will have to live its WHOLE LIFE just so some snotty woman can have the right shade of lipstick!! :censored: :bash: Totally unacceptable, in my opinion!!
  • I believe some things must be tested that way, but there's plenty that probably shouldn't be. We had a guy in our area of the world named Clifford Olson who killed a bunch of children and is now wasting taxpayers money sitting in prison. This guy has internet access and occasionally sends messages to the victim's families. People like that should definitely be considered for some experimentation. Give the animals a break.