9/11 Video Game "in Bad Taste"
  • I found this story while trawling the web.

"9-11 Video Game Circulating On Internet"

[i](CBS4) A disturbing video game about 9-11 is circulating on the internet. The images are reminiscent of a terrible day in our history. While some would say it's in bad taste, we spoke with a woman who lost her husband on 9-11 who says, it's worse.

• yeh your quite right lethal,but that happens with everything,the 2 new 9/11 films are getting alot of attention aswell but i watched a trailer for one and it just looked like a real dipressing film it had nicoulas cage in it as this fireman
  • I heard about this game on the radio and it pretty much had the same collective opinion. What makes me puzzled though is that people whom are families to the victims will not let a game like this pass by without criticism, but will advocate for United 93 (the movie about 9-11). I mean, it completely baffles me. :blink:

If you look at families whom are effected by 9-11 it's tremendous and there is no way to undo what was done aside from going with the memory, but it seems absolutely stupid to get all uptight about a game when they have a full length movie on the silver screen about it and they're not jumping at criticism for that, but advocating for it. :huh:

Call me crazy, but I think there's a little more here in this article than just the fact that it doesn't go in depth with victims lives and such beforehand.

There's my two cents.
  • QUOTE(Lethal @ Jun 2 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]64968[/snapback]
    I dont mean to offend anyone by this, but anyone who is offended by that game should take a step back. Think about these games;

Call of Duty
    Medal of Honor
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Desert Conflict

and the many other war based games on numerous platforms.[/b]

I don't think your analogy is fair, Lethal. Comparing the 9-11 incident to these war simulation video games is not the same thing. Those video games represent some real events, yes, but events and situations involving soldiers. I don't recall the destruction of innocent civilian lives in those games. They are soldier vs. soldier games not terrorists vs. civilians. Being American, I am baised in my opinion, I admit that. But I definitely think it is in poor taste to glorify the cowardly actions demonstrated on 9-11, in any form.
  • I suppose you are right considering that it was civilians that were attacked charger, but I still think the other games deserve some consideration before the US takes a stand as "totally innocent".
  • I personally wouldn't play the game out of respect for those who lost thier lives. I think it's bad taste, but I wouldn't have a go at anyone for playing the game either.

Although I live in OZ and have done so most of my life, I'm actually English and I'm fully aware of the death and destruction caused by the IRA. In films like the Devils Own, Hollywood glorified this terrorist cell in the name of entertainment and there were many more people killed by the IRA than Sept 11th. Coincidently, the IRA calmed down substantially after Sept 11. My opinion is financial backing ceased as people stopped viewing them as freedom fighters as they felt the impact of terrorism on home ground.

When I refer to "they", I am in no way suggesting the USA as a whole finances the IRA, I'm talking of individuals and organisations within the USA who have ties with Ireland who have alot of financial clout.
  • QUOTE(chargerfanchs @ Jun 3 2006, 04:02 AM) [snapback]65010[/snapback]

I don't think your analogy is fair, Lethal. Comparing the 9-11 incident to these war simulation video games is not the same thing. Those video games represent some real events, yes, but events and situations involving soldiers. I don't recall the destruction of innocent civilian lives in those games. They are soldier vs. soldier games not terrorists vs. civilians. Being American, I am baised in my opinion, I admit that. But I definitely think it is in poor taste to glorify the cowardly actions demonstrated on 9-11, in any form.
    [/b]

Charger, ever hear of a little place called Hiroshima? I think the biggest problem with this game is the closeness to the actual event that the game came out. That would be like losing a family member today and being contacted about movie rights for their death tomorrow. How realistic does this game look, in any case? I mean, is it actual pictures of the event, or is this a crude flash-based game? Iunno, based on the facts that I know, I couldn't say whether it's in bad taste or not. Bad timing, for sure, but I can't comment otherwise.
  • I agree with you Lethal, I see it no different than any of the many real life war based games on the market today. If the games object were to fly the planes into the towers then my opinion would be the opposite, but the object of the game is to defend the towers.

One of the many problems with the world today is that everything must be so f :censored: g politically correct that you can't hardly blink without offending someone. You could make a game where Mr. Fuzzy Bunny has to pick wild daisies for his sick grandmother so she will feel better.

First you will have PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) seeking legal action because Mr. Fuzzy Bunny's ears are too floppy from obvious abuse. Then you have the environmentalists seeking legal action because you are depleting the worlds daisy population. Then you have the seniors who say that you are stereotyping the elderly by depicting the grandmother a sick and dying woman. Even an innocent game such as Mr. Fuzzy Bunny's Flower Picking Day To Make Grandma Feel Better Adventure could easily come under attack.

Mr. Fuzzy Bunny's Flower Picking Day To Make Grandma Feel Better Adventure is due for release on Nintendo Wii and X-Box 360 and will be the only release for the two consoles in 2007. ;)

• QUOTE(madhtr @ Jun 3 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]65070[/snapback]
    Charger, ever hear of a little place called Hiroshima?[/b]

I was not saying that real civilians were never killed in real events. The US was at war with Japan, not that it lessens the horror of the atomic bomb or the tragedy of lives lost. I just do not recall ever seeing a video game where the events of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were recreated or the killing of innocent civilians was trivialized. And if I did, I certainly would find it in poor taste as well. The video games used as examples are soldier vs. soldier games and are war based. The events on 9-11 were not.

I have played this 9-11 simulation out of curiosity, to see if I found it offensive or not and to back up my personal opinion. It is a crude flash game, along the lines of missile defender, but it does show the planes impacting the buildings and the towers smoke, crumble and eventually fall. That part of the game it seems they tried to depict as close to the real thing as possible. That was what struck a nerve with me. It brought up vivid memories of this tragic event and for that reason alone I personally found it distasteful.