Santa - How did you find out?
  • Most children find out from other children that there is no Santa Claus. Others catch their parents in the act. Some are even told straight out by their parents. I was wondering if you all remember how you found out there was no Santa Claus?

Every year, I would put out cookies and milk for Santa to munch on during his visit. My mom would always make special shaped cookies (candy canes, Christmas trees, angels, stars, etc.) and frost each one individually. I would always pick out three or four of my favorites and leave them for Santa Christmas eve.

The following morning I would always look to see if the cookies and milk were gone. That way, I knew Santa had been there and enjoyed my little snack! I figured that would make him extra happy and he'd leave me some really cool stuff! I'd always ask "What happened to the cookies and milk?" The answer was always "Santa ate them."

One year, after Santa had "been" there, I went into the kitchen to grab a cookie. When I opened the cookie jar, imagine my horror as two of the special cookies I had picked out for Santa were in the cookie jar. It was right then I knew, there was no Santa Claus.

To this day, I don't know if they did it on purpose or if it was an honest mistake. Maybe they just couldn't eat the cookies that night? Maybe they were sleepy and didn't think about it. Or maybe they did it on purpose. They know how I picked out those cookies specially.

Anyways, that's how I found out there wasn't a Santa Claus. Anyone else care to share how they found out there wasn't a Santa?

(By the way, if you are just finding out now, by reading this... sorry.) :(
  • WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO SANTA!!!!!????????????

I cant remember how i found out - i guess when i got old enough to have to buy presents for people at school and i had to go the shop for them myself! Although to this day my mum still insists he is real!!
  • You mean there isn't a Santa Claus!? Woe is me I am sad.:(

I unfortunately didn't get the pleasure of learning there wasn't a Santa Claus via my own experience. My cousin, whom was my best friend at the time, told me. I didn't fully believe him at the time, although it began to raise suspicion.

My beagle (Bandit) at the time was very territorial and would bark at any stranger whom he saw around his yard. He'd bark at blimps in the sky if they crossed into his yard. So I figured what's the liklihood that the beagle is gonna not allow a blimp by, but will allow for Santa and his eight tiny reindeer to cross through his yard and not mark a peep about it? When I asked my parents that at age seven they gave up the whole Santa bit, but said that he had undercover elves because Santa knew that we had a territorial dog.

So I kept believing but then I made the mistake of mailing a letter to Santa telling him what I wanted to for Christmas that next year. Then when I got the letter back saying that there was no such address I knew.

My parents were very protective of all of us and later told me that they couldn't tell me there wasn't a Santa Claus at that point because my sister was young and any knowledge I had would be put on to my sister. So I promised them I would keep it a secret until my sister would find out on her own terms.
  • In sweden we have different traditions than in the Anglo-saxian or American countries. We do have a santa, but he is based on a heathen tradition of the christmas billy goat who come by on christmas eve and throw wooden logs through the door opening (or window if he had been hitting the christmas spirits too hard).

So, our santa comes in broad daylight the 24:th of december and hands out his presents straight to the kids and all the kids are scared to death.

Now, we also had terratorial dogs when I was little. They were now beagles, however, and they didn't bark. They were german sheppards and they went for the throat.

So I would say I was about 4 when I first saw santa claus get his face ripped off rewealing my neighbour Artos scared face.
  • damn right Santie Claws is real,
    he lives under my bed,
    with eyes glowing red,
    he's got my PS3,
    it's something I really need,
    With ever night I hope & pray,
    that he'll deliver on the day,
    People at Sony say that they have all gone,
    but I know it won't be long,
    that on Christmas day all will see,
    the F**ker got me a Wii.
  • I honestly can't remember ever believing in santa, my family was not of great financial means when I was younger so gifts were few and far between, work on the farm and lil money never afforded us to dream of such things. If we got anything for christmas we thanked directly whomever it came from, even if the tag said, "from Santa."
  • You know what dan - thats the true meaning of christmas!!! i got a warm feeling when i read theat!!
  • Magnus A STAFF said:
    Now, we also had terratorial dogs when I was little. They were now beagles, however, and they didn't bark. They were german sheppards and they went for the throat.

That sounds like what my beagle would do if a stranger came to close and didn't heed his warning bark.:)
  • There are 3 stages in life. First, you believe in Santa. Second, you don't believe in Santa. Third, you become Santa. Santa is also the tooth fairy in this house. That's what you get for being a night owl.
  • I found out there was no Santa Claus when I saw my parents stuff presents under the tree. I confronted my parents the next day. I was about four years old then. They told my brother and me that there was really no Santa Claus.
  • Magnus A STAFF said:
    In sweden we have different traditions than in the Anglo-saxian or American countries. We do have a santa, but he is based on a heathen tradition of the christmas billy goat who come by on christmas eve and throw wooden logs through the door opening (or window if he had been hitting the christmas spirits too hard).

So, our santa comes in broad daylight the 24:th of december and hands out his presents straight to the kids and all the kids are scared to death.

The Swedish santa seem to have paralells with the psycho robo santa in Futurama:D

I worked things out for myself when I was about seven living in England when we moved to a council house with central heating. The whole santa chimeny deal didn't stick anymore.;)
  • We have a gas fire place. That would be tricky also. The children are 10 and 12 but still leave out cookies and milk, plus carrots for thr reindeer. I guess we do have some tradition. Maybe it's time for them to start leaving Santa some lager. Let Rudolf drive for the rest of the trip.
  • I can't recall hearing anyone in my family mentioning santa before I heard of him from other children, even though we celebrated christmas. Maybe it was because my family never mentioned it or maybe because it made no sense, but I have always dismissed him as a load of codswollup.

Incidentally, I didn't learn of Jesus Crist until a few years after Santa.
  • I did always wonder why my dad asked us to leave santa whisky. And my sister going mad saying he cant drink and drive.

And my dad convincing her that ours was the last one on the route so he could have a drink after he had been to ours

Sly owd dog!
  • Wene christmas shopping time came around my front rooms were always sealed off but it wasn't that big of deal since me and my bro were not allowed up there anyways, well christmas after christmas, one year me and my brother just had to find out why they locked off those front rooms every year, i think i was about 7 8 or 9, but we picked the lock ( not hard all it takes is a paper clips for the bedroom locks) and found the big pile of presents.