The worst thing youve done to a car
  • Earlier today my friends wanted me to do a burn out, i hadnt done one in a while because i got new tires a while ago, well i was leaving the parking lot of the grocery store i used to work at, and for the fun of it, and since everyone was wathcing, i dumped the clutch, but the new tires gripped quite well, well going into second since i was in a turn i dumped the clutch again, well i got some tire spin on one wheel but then it caught traction, and i actually did a wheely, but my universal joint busted and i broke the yolk on the differential, needless to say my drive shaft was in the middle of the road behind me. Do any of you guys drive aggresive or try to performance drive? and whats the worst things youve done to a car.
  • I believe I told the story in another thread somewhere, but still. I'll tell it here again.

About a year ago, I was driving a 1987 Honda Accord which had several things wrong with it. However, for the past two years it had pulled about 20,000 miles with me as the driver. My dad had told me he had wanted to turn it in to the vehicle retirement program that weekend.

I went to go visit my boyfriend up at his college which is up in the hills. At least 15 or so miles from my house is about how far away it was.

My boyfriend and I were pulling back into the University parking lot to go up and watch the Lost Season finale in his dorm. As I tried to pull into one parking spot, I over estimated it and saw that if I proceeded with my turn I would have hit the car next to me.

So I backed up and as I pulled the gearshift into drive again my car jerked foreward really hard. I tried to go foreward and it wouldn't move.

Distressed, I put my hazards on and my boyfriend told me to put it in park and he'd get out and check it out. So I obeyed and he got out and kept telling me to turn the wheel and I kept telling him I was.

He didn't believe me and came back to the steering wheel and turned it himself and found out that I had broken my steering.

So with a LOT of gas I pushed my car over to a parking spot and managed to not hit anything on the way.

I called my dad and mom and they came to get me and take me home. They paid for two parking permits for that night and the next day and my dad said he would come repair it during the afternoon of the next day and bring it home.

So there you have it. There's the worst thing I've done to a car. I've done my best to keep my new car (2006 Ford Focus) in tact and so far I've done a good job.:)
  • Put a crowbar through the bonnet a few days ago!
  • driving from a christening and a load of tiffs old buddies were waving. Wasnt paying attention and smacked the wingmirror off a taxi!!!!!!

I would do lots more daring things if i didnt have a car that did 0-60 in a fortnight. Good old Jack!!
  • Some of the older members may remember my story.

A few years back, when I was 14, I drove my moms car into a 1200 pound brick mailbox. I didn't have a permit or lisence at the time. My parents were both not home and I was looking for my friends in my neighborhood, and trying to be the cool kid that can drive. I was going about 15 miles per hour and I smacked into the mailbox and totalled my moms car.

The mailbox was fine, it just got knocked over. I had to pay for the car though, which was about 8K.

When it happened everyone was only worried if I was ok. I was scared $h1tless about my Dad kicking my ass. Instead he they just told me of how I would laugh about this later in life. I told them, yeah right, but now I do find it quite halarious.
  • When I first started driving, I started out with some junker cars like most people do. I had a 1989 Ford Mustang that drove just fine, but their were various quirks about it. When I went through a Car Wash, I had to hold towels up to the windows to avoid getting soaked. Also, my turn signals only worked half of the time. Usually the half of the time when police were around me.

Anyway, I wanted to save money on an oil change, for some reason. So, I got my brother to help me out, because he claimed to have done it plenty of times on his old Corvettes. So, we got the supplies and he got under their and performed the oil change. When he was putting the new oil filter on my car, he noticed that it did not seem to be fitting tightly. He took it off and put it back on a couple of times before deciding it was good.

For the next week, my car constantly poured smoke out of the engine, I was leaving big puddles of oil everywhere I parked, and I just knew we had screwed something up. Upon re-inspection by my bro, we found that he had somehow left the inner seal of the previous oil filter jammed into that area of the engine. That's why the new filter wasn't fitting tightly. That's why my engine was completely out of oil.

So, we added a quart of oil to get me home, and the whole way, the car sputtered, smoked, whined, scared me to death, and tried to die on me.

The next weekend, I found myself trading in the dead car at a dealership. I think I only got $300 for it. They planned to strip it for parts :huh:. (I picked up a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier as a replacement vehicle... didn't keep it long either. It was just too darn small for me)

So, that was a pretty dumb thing, and I will never do my own oil change again. I don't care how much an oil change costs, it's not worth getting a new car over.
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    So, that was a pretty dumb thing, and I will never do my own oil change again. I don't care how much an oil change costs, it's not worth getting a new car over.
    i could also qoute from Mike C Staff about hitting a mailbox, oil changes aren't that hard you just have to pay attention to things such as tightening the drain pull or such as making sure the old deal is off, but my first day of work at the Publix Supermarket down the road, it was my first job and i was excited, and wene i got there i realized i had forgot my nametag, so i raced home and parked on the side of the street, and i pulled the shifter all the way up (I thought at least) i ran back outside, and my truck was gone, my first thought was someone stole it, but i walked a little farther down the drive way, and there it was sitting on top of my neighbors mail box, i thought i was screwed, i got in and just went off to work, and she was there, and i thought i was even more screwed, and she came up to me and started talking about how someone had knocked her mailbox down ( i was franticly nervous) and she never found out, i thought about leaving some money in the mailbox, but i just never had enough.
  • sombulus said:
    i thought about leaving some money in the mailbox, but i just never had enough.

One of my bus drivers in middle school knocked over a mailbox. The next day she left a check for like 100 bucks in it.
  • sombulus said:
    Do any of you guys drive aggresive or try to performance drive?
    Drive aggressive? Not so much. I live in the land of road rage and it's just not as much fun as it used to be. Now, I like mellow, uninterrupted cruises.
    Performance drive? Yes and no. Since I've done a few aftermarket performance mods to my car, I do enjoy burning out the carbon from time to time, but since I racked up three tickets in less than a month last year, I try (very) hard to obey all traffic laws.
    sombulus said:
    and whats the worst things youve done to a car.
    Worst? hard to say. I suppose the worst thing I've done to a car was when I totaled a 1976 280Z by smashing it into a parked Jeep Wrangler. I completely destroyed both vehicles and nearly destroyed myself and my passenger. It was a great car and it deserved better.
  • Jerry M STAFF said:

Performance drive? Yes and no. Since I've done a few aftermarket performance mods to my car, I do enjoy burning out the carbon from time to time, but since I racked up three tickets in less than a month last year, I try (very) hard to obey all traffic laws.

ive had two tickets, one a week after getting my license stopped at the stop sign thought nothing was coming and drove my tank (69 GMC) out in front of an 2006 Monte Carlo, i was able to drive home but that car met a flat bed, and one last year i was on my way to school early in the mornig, and was tired, once again stopped at a stop sign, looked, I guess there lights were in my blind spot, and they hit my left front corner of my golf at 65 MPH, and i hit there right front corner.

But in between all that i have had three cops come to my house two breathilizer tests (ive never drank before) and have a restrainting order from my local strip mall. but only two tickets from my two wrecks.
  • Ill start by saying this, learning to drive you dont really learn a lot... In other words, it takes time to get used to the roads, this was really evident in my case. Had my first accident only a little while ago, was coming around a corner, thought the car coming from my right was indicating to turn so I came around the corner and they smashed into my side. Destroyed the other cars front bumper and crushed it up a bit. Think it was a Toyota Camry station wagon, nonetheless, caused all that damage to the other car and only broke the right indicator light cover on mine!!! So I was like WTF!!! So I guess thats the worst thing Ive done to a car.

As far as performance driving goes... I drive a 1989 Nissan Pulsar Sedan... 4 Cyl... And the tape deck is broken. Nuff said.

/m/
  • Rob M STAFF said:
    Ill start by saying this, learning to drive you dont really learn a lot... In other words, it takes time to get used to the roads, this was really evident in my case.

And the tape deck is broken. Nuff said.

/m/

You're right about the "Drivers Education" part of it. They didn't teach me hardly anything. One thing I've learned... which could have helped you, is that I should never ever trust someones turn signal. They might have their turn signal on, but a lot of times, they aren't going to turn. They will wait for you to turn in front of them so that they can total your vehicle. That was not in my drivers ed. book.

Sorry about your tape deck. Um... :huh:
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    You're right about the "Drivers Education" part of it. They didn't teach me hardly anything. One thing I've learned... which could have helped you, is that I should never ever trust someones turn signal. They might have their turn signal on, but a lot of times, they aren't going to turn. They will wait for you to turn in front of them so that they can total your vehicle. That was not in my drivers ed. book.

I've never had problems with the turn signal. However, I HAVE had trouble with people flipping their hazards on when they are just planning on turning. Or even better is when they leave their hazards on for about 10 miles and nothing is inherantly wrong with their car seeing as how they continue to drive it.:rolleyes:
  • Gd evening all
    (been a long time again) The worst thing Ive done to a car would probably be believing my Mini Moke had 4W drive capabitities by "going bush" in the Adelaide Hills..... Needless to say it didnt fair too well....
  • Digger said:
    Gd evening all
    (been a long time again) The worst thing Ive done to a car would probably be believing my Mini Moke had 4W drive capabitities by "going bush" in the Adelaide Hills..... Needless to say it didnt fair too well....

hehehehehe Mini Moke. Not drove one of them for about 15 years. A boss I worked for had one of them, stripped it right down, put in a 1400cc Alegro engine & did auto testing in it. Was a fast little car but only had 3 gears - 1st, 2nd & reverse. I managed to snap one of the drive shafts off it doing trials in the factory car park, boss not impressed with that, repaired it that afternoon & my work mate snapped the other side on the night time. We were never allowed to play with it again.
  • Before:

After:

Alfa Romeo 156 in front of me indicates left and veers toward the curb, still indicating, with no street coming up to turn into, he was pulling over (we drive on the left hand side here in Aus).

After coming to what looked like a complete stop, I move toward the centre of the street (no lines) to pass, when Alfa Romeo 156 decides that he wants to continue indicating left and with no warning whatsoever pull out in front of me into a driveway on the right hand side of the road.

Needless to say, he doesn't make it that far. My car hits the curb on the right hand side of the road, flips onto it's side, slides along the nature strip for a few metres before slamming back down onto all 4 wheels.

I had this car for 2 months. Washed it every 2nd day. It was my pride and joy. I still shed a tear every once in a while when i'm reminded of it.
  • KiLLa speaks!!!! Good to see you again!

If I can find a scanner I'll try and post pics of my car.