• Has anyone heard about this new PS3..? When I bought my PS3 (60gig) It was the biggest one they made.. The worst part about it is I paid $650 for my 60gig when it first came out and now its $100 dollars cheaper.. The 80gig cost what my 60gig did when I bought it.. What's up with this 80gig? Is it the same console just more gig.. Or is there something different about it..?
  • Well I did some searching and found the answer to my own question...
    But for those of you that would like to know here ya go..

60 Gig
    -60 gigabyte hardrive
    -Memory Card readers
    -Wi-Fi capability
    -Backwards Capability*

80Gig
    -80 gigabyte hardrive
    -Memory Card reader
    -Wi-Fi capability
    -Backwards capability (limited)

* The 60 Gig has the physical ps2 graphics chip in it in addition to the cell processor which essentially means your ps3 has a ps2s heart in it, allowing you to play a brand new ps2 game as if the ps3 was a ps2. On the 80Gig, sony has to write emulation code for a game before it can be played. the reason for this is because they removed the ps2 chip to "Cut Costs". So now if a new ps2 game comes out and you buy it, you have to wait for sony to code it and distribute it. Plus they already have their hands full going back and coding the hundreds of old Ps1/Ps2 games. so dont expect generic movie game you just bought to work for a while...
  • It isn't really the "new" system now, actually, with the announcement of the 40 GB system a while back. In case you are wondering about it the main differences there are less USB ports and no PS2 backward compatibility at all.
  • so... the 60 gig is cheaper but is more expensive to make than the 80g??
  • sombulus wrote:
    so... the 60 gig is cheaper but is more expensive to make than the 80g??

Ya doesn't really make a hole lot of since.. I priced the systems today (U.S.) prices.. 80gig $599..60gig $499.. 40gig $399 and the 20 gig I'm not sure... Couldn't even find it at my local store.. But with the 40gig out whats the point in a 20gig..
  • Lyndon M STAFF wrote:
    It isn't really the "new" system now, actually, with the announcement of the 40 GB system a while back. In case you are wondering about it the main differences there are less USB ports and no PS2 backward compatibility at all.

see I wasn't sure which was first the 80gig or the 40gig.. I work a lot so I don't get a chance to see whats new or not.. One reason I joined absolute-playstation (awesome website by the way) Because I do most of my thread posting and replying here at work..But when I seen the 80gig, I felt a little inadequate . Because I like to have the best of whatever is out.. (Its a complex problem. Call me shallow whatever..Ha Ha)..But know that I know that the 60gig is still better I'm ok with it..
  • The 60 Gig has the physical ps2 graphics chip in it in addition to the cell processor which essentially means your ps3 has a ps2s heart in it, allowing you to play a brand new ps2 game as if the ps3 was a ps2. On the 80Gig, sony has to write emulation code for a game before it can be played. the reason for this is because they removed the ps2 chip to "Cut Costs". So now if a new ps2 game comes out and you buy it, you have to wait for sony to code it and distribute it. Plus they already have their hands full going back and coding the hundreds of old Ps1/Ps2 games.

Our 60GB versions in Europe, didnt include the PS2 Chip, so we have to wait for sony to write the emulation code, which is annoying because i've got a whole host of PS2 games that i still want to play, e.g. The 4 Ratchet and Clanks and the 4 Jak and Daxters, but some of them i cant play accprding to Sonys backwards compatibility list. Do they actually update that whenever they write a new code ???????

Because I like to have the best of whatever is out

I'm exactly the same, its like obssessive, but i think i'm out of that habit kinda, theres now so much stuff out its hard to keep track of. e.g. all the games this winter !!!!!!!!. I just spend all the cash i have spare on my luxurys and if i havent got enough its tough and i cry........Only kidding about the crying part.;) But yeah i try to get the best of everything if i can, thats not too shallow is it. :confused:
    But yeah theres no difference between the 80 and the 60GB versions except from the memory, which doesnt bother me.......:)
  • robcoxy said:
    Our 60GB versions in Europe, didnt include the PS2 Chip, so we have to wait for sony to write the emulation code, which is annoying because i've got a whole host of PS2 games that i still want to play, e.g. The 4 Ratchet and Clanks and the 4 Jak and Daxters, but some of them i cant play accprding to Sonys backwards compatibility list. Do they actually update that whenever they write a new code ???????

Well thats sucks..Do you know why its not backwards compatible like here in the U.S..? When is the new Ratchet and Clank come out where your at..? I just bought it today, it's SWEET you'll love it....
  • Sony went the software emulation route with the PS3 systems in the UK and Europe, shootemhigh. Their systems still play a large number of PS2 and PSOne games, just not as many as the systems here with the PS2's chipset in there.

Kind of odd the Jak series and previous Ratchet games aren't compatible yet considering they were all Sony titles. :huh: Kinda thought they would have been among the first to get the green light.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Sony went the software emulation route with the PS3 systems in the UK and Europe, shootemhigh. Their systems still play a large number of PS2 and PSOne games, just not as many as the systems here with the PS2's chipset in there.

Do you know if there doing that with all the new PS3's off of the production line.. U.S. including.. Is that how the big price drop came to be..

Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Kind of odd the Jak series and previous Ratchet games aren't compatible yet considering they were all Sony titles. :huh: Kinda thought they would have been among the first to get the green light.

Ya that doesn't really make any since, You would think sony games would come first and all the others last...
  • I don't know when exactly they started shipping them that way in N.A., but the 60GB stopped including the PS2 GS (Graphics Synthesizer) here as well.

The 80GB doesn't have the GS and didn't cost as much as the original 60GB model as 20GB worth of hdd doesn't cost all that much. The 80GB does include Motorstorm, though and I expect that came in to play on the price.

The 40GB, as Lyndon mentioned, has no memory slots and no PS2 BC. All PS3 models have nearly 100% PSOne BC as it has always been software emulation since day 1. The console doesn't include the PS2 GS or the Emotion Engine, so that drops the cost a little more.

Right now I would say the largest cost of the PS3 is now the BRD drive. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to start packing in the Dualshock 3 controller.
  • When is the new Ratchet and Clank come out where your at..? I just bought it today, it's SWEET you'll love it....

November 9th i've heard, and i cant wait. Ratchet and Clank are the best and Tools of Destruction the demo is awesome. Just like every other Ratchet and Clank........#1.............

Kind of odd the Jak series and previous Ratchet games aren't compatible yet considering they were all Sony titles.

Well according to their list only Ratchet and Clank 1 and 2 play on it and No 2 is only 1 bar !!!!!!!! Same with the Jaks if i remember correctly......... I will try the others out, as long as nothing breaks i hope.........:rolleyes: