Playstation 3 Controller
  • PlayStation 3 Controller (JoyPad)

We would love to hear your comments on the PlayStation 3 (PS3) controller, both good and bad.

Please note that this is a public access area and so both members and non-members can leave comments, however they will not appear until they have been checked by a member of the MOD-SQUAD.
  • Sony should be sued. They totally copied the movement sensor from Wii.
  • Actually, tasha, Sony had been working on the idea since 1999 during development of the PS2- just weren't able to implememnt it well enough until now.

I like the fact they kept the same design as the DualShock controllers- loss of rumble will be a bit of a minus however.
  • No doubt after a few months of the machine being released a Third Party Company could bring out there own version of the PS3 controller to have DualShock, like they did with the current 3rd party wireless controllers. The first batches had no DualShock as it would use up battery power, but there are some out there (got them for the PS1, PS2 & NGC) that have the DualShock & use very little battery power.

I'm excited about motion sensors, think playing MGS4 and you need to peek around a corner or look up a bit, no need to press a button, just tilt the controller and got a finger free to get a shot off to an enemy. Also would think that the Moto GP series would be awesome when trying to get your knee down in the corner & just tilt the joypad.
  • I've already mentioned this on the PS3 console page because I clicked on a link that took me straight to that page as opposed to going through the forums.

Anyway, as I have already said, it is a real shame about losing the Dual Shock capabilities of the controller, but if it was interferring with the Motion Sensors then I guess it makes sense. I hope they make a Wireless DualShock3 pad that can be used instead of, or even in accompaniment with, the new Motion Sensor pad though e.g. for games that could incorporate both technologies and then you, the user, would decide how you wanted to play the game, be it with the 'new' Motion Sensors or the 'old' Dual Shock.
    Also, games companies could somehow incorporate both technologies into co-operative type games where one player uses the Motion Sensor and another player uses the Dual Shock to like detect how close mines are or something (in terms of a SOCOM kind of game). Maybe not the best of ways to incorporate both technologies, but I'm sure some games company bigwig would be able to figure out how to use both technologies.
  • i think it's great to have the same feel with a controller besides that ps1/ps2 controllers have to be the toughest controllers ever made......i like the ps3 controller
  • Looks almost the same and if it's of the same quality as it's predecesor it'll be brilliant.

Definitelly like the trigger upgrade, this will make racing even better.

Where are the dimples in the analog sticke tho ????? :crybaby:
  • I loved the vibration. Without it I will go x-box. Unless we can get the vibration on e-bay (europe). Will that work?
  • What no duel shock I play nothing but battle games now how am I supposed to know if I have been hit if there is no vibration, and how long will the battrys last after a charge I play sometimes for seven hours stright for the games I like.

no joking
  • What no duel shock I play nothing but battle games now how am I supposed to know if I have been hit if there is no vibration, and how long will the battrys last after a charge I play sometimes for seven hours stright for the games I like.

no joking

First off the DualShock apparently interfered with the motion sensors of the controller. I mean can you imagine the setting, you're moving your men around in a game like Full Spectrum Warrior. Suddenly there's a HUGE explosion, your controller starts practically jumping out of your hand, the PS3 thinks you're trying to move your soldier, suddenly it ends up in the most open area you've ever seen...

*BANG* your man just got shot by a sniper on a roof or in a tree or whatever.

Not good.

I'm sure there will more than likely be a third party dual shock controller created or possibly Sony might do like Nintendo have done and release an alternative controller with DualShock3 instead of Motion Sensors.

In regards to the playing length once the controller is recharged:

You can, if you really want to, play for 24 HOURS NON STOP!!!!!

Also, I think you can play with the controller connected to the PS3 while it's charging or maybe not charging but anyway if you can then technically you play non-stop until finally you needed sleep, lol :harhar:

• How to tell if you're hit? Maybe looking at the screen would be an idea. :D

The claim about the vibration supposedly interfering with the motion ability has been disputed by eDimensional, a company that makes third party controllers/ accessories. They recently announced a deal with Immersion (the people that Sony allegedly took the idea of "dual shock" from, resulting in a lawsuit they lost and are appealing the decision) to use what they call "advanced vibro-tactile, spinning-mass gaming technologies" (translation: vibration and motion sensing together) in an upcoming controller for PC and PS2 use. Going by this it seems Sony isn't quite telling the whole story.
  • I like the Idea of motion sencing funtion... That would totally outdo the Xbox360
  • I think the new controller is awesome, and that they didnt steel from nintendo, and xbox, every ones ust sayhin tht uz dey know that the ps3 is guna be the best cuz its the wii and 360 put together.
  • many people are not a big fan of the wireless controller. it would be really awesome if it could be interchangable, from wireless to wired. maybe have an ethernet hookup to the ps3 so for some games you can have a wired controller, but other games that you would want to play with a wireless controller you could do that as well just by taking out the ethernet cord it would save alot of time rather than waiting 2 hours just to resume playing the game. for games like final fantasy, where people would be inclined to be playing it for hours and hours on end, you could use that as a wired controller to save battery power, but on games like gran tourismo or something along those lines, you could unhook the ethernet cable if you would want to. that would make people alot more happier. some people may just be inclined to not buy the ps3 just because of that feature. this is just a suggestion, and if some of the sony execs read this and tweak the controller that would be awesome
  • That is there, bikr- the PS3 controller has a USB port on it similar to the PSP. You would be able to connect the cord to the PS3 that way.
  • Yes, this is also how the battery of the controller is recharged.
  • I've just thought. Nobodies yet mentioned about the PSP being able to be used as a controller for the PS3. Probably be similar to how the GBA was used as a kind of controller for GameCube on games like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

What my PSP's been crying out for; to be used on a regular basis :laugh: :clap:

• That can be one of the possibilities- another would be connecting via the WiFi to transfer music back and forth, movie remote, etc.- lots of possibilities there. We'll have to wait and see how things look when they finally bring out all their plans- for the time being, however, they're closely guarded by gaming ninjas armed with Wii nunchuks. :ph34r:
  • It seems to be a 50/50 split on the new controller.

Yes, we would like to see a DualShock3 Pad (the best type of controller in the gaming world)
    Yes, we do like the motion sensor approach
    No, the loss of the Rumble feature through the wireless controller

But Sony are you really listening to your "customers?" after so many years being a dominate force in the video game world take heed to your people, your customers, your gamers, the very people who put bread & butter on the table for you.

It's simple. The Wireless DualShock Motion Joypad is very do'able!
    Yes you CAN have Wireless, USB connected, DualShock and Motion sensor in ONE joypad! It's not a matter of hardware & how long the battery lasts, but the case of the software writters making it a "Gamers Preference"

Pre-select the type of control method in the game, whether your playing a FPS, RPG, Racing or Adventure. It's just like setting the map of buttons to your own controller. But wait! you CAN have both working at the same time!

It's called "Jitter Control" or "Anti-Shock"

A bit of Hardware in this day in age can determine whats happening & how much it's doing it. The DualShock 2 has 256 degrees of pressure on it's buttons (except select & start button), Just like putting your foot carefully on the accelerator of a car to slowly build up speed. The DSMS3 (DualShock-MotionSensor3 pad) could determine whether it's been tilted or "jittered" while going around a corner of Laguna SECA Circuit & clipping the drive off curbs on a Yamaha R1 bike or tilting into the corner, getting your knee down then clipping the curb. The same can be done for a FPS. Tilting the pad to look around a corner & a grenade goes BOOM! you would get the rumble, but at the same time the shock of it in real life WOULD make you try and gain control from the force of the blast, thus making you an easier target as you fall off to the side for a sniper to pick you off.

I would take this sort of thing as an extension of your own life, creating an emotional response to the way you play the game in your room in one life, but knowing it has similar effects outside your room in real life.

If I had the money on the time of release I would buy an extra controller & take it apart to see how it works & do my own Dr. Frankinstein on it.
  • the trigers are a s*** idear sony should stick to the the pad that's gave them the best console since the ps1
  • hey guys, i thought most of your information if totally wrong, there are barely any facts in there, especially about the part where you talked about charging the controoler, o well im glad i have better sources than you
  • No offense Bobby but just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it wrong- like yourself we hit several places to look up info on the system. Some are more detailed than others. Granted there is a bit of speculation thrown in due to a lack of info on Sony's part but it's all within the ralm of possibility after all. ;)
  • QUOTE(Guest_Bobby_* @ Jul 3 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]66540[/snapback]
    hey guys, i thought most of your information if totally wrong, there are barely any facts in there, especially about the part where you talked about charging the controoler, o well im glad i have better sources than you [/b]

I think you'll find that the Bluetooth controller IS recharged, like a mobile phone, by recharging it's lithium, mobile phone type, battery via a USB connection from the PS3 to the controller.

If you don't believe us then go to the official PS3 site where it tells you the details about the PS3 AND it's controller.

[quote]All input information will be immediately transferred to the PS3 system through the Bluetooth
  • Everything about the controller is great but i was just wondering why they didnt add another button that let u turn on the system from the controller similiar to the xbox360, sence the add the maine menu button?
  • Dunno about that one. Maybe they didn't want to be accused of stealing ideas, lol. Seriously though, they say 'Less Is More' so it's better to have a few great things than hundreds of pretty good things, that's my opinion anyway.

still gonna buy me PS3 regardless of all the supposed bad press and whatnots.

• I think ps3 is going to b the best gaming system ever..........xbox lovers will disagree but those who cant play xbox worth a :censored: ....ps3 is the way!!!
  • i think that the ps3 controls are good in a way because u dont have to get use to the boomarang 1s :59:
  • I kinda liked the Boomerang ones. Not completely, I mean they were never gonna be better than the Dual-Shock pads. But were certainly different when it came to the design.

Wonder what the Sony people were on when they came up with the Boomerang Shape... :blink:

• I liked the silver remote better. I think it is fun to try new things and i like the look maybe if you put the sensors and all that other stuff in the silver remote people wont care.
  • I think its a shame that Sony didn't take their chance to make the controller look a bit more modern. They could have kept the same basic shape and made it look a little more funky.

They do this with cars all the time !
  • Jonty said:
    I think its a shame that Sony didn't take their chance to make the controller look a bit more modern. They could have kept the same basic shape and made it look a little more funky.

They do this with cars all the time !

The PS3 isn't a concept model anymore, though. Did you miss the boomerang fiasco of last year? I thought that there might be riots if Sony had used that as a final design.

I mean, why fix something that already works? I still think Sony should have just licensed from Immersion, though..... but that's just me maybe.
  • It's alright.But why wouldn"t Sony just put rumble instead of tilt sense in it?
  • Well, unregistered (hope you're changing that status, btw ;) ), as madhtr mentioned Sony was sued by Immersion Technologies regarding a patent infringement about the rumble technology. Sony fought it and lost. Now,instead of swallowing their pride and letting Immersion help they're going in a different direction.

While the SixAxis (yes, that's the name) controller should be good it just won't be the same without the rumble.
  • I love the classic playstation controller. It has been great for the PSX, PS1, and PS2, and because I (and sooo many other people - even PC-users with the logitech dual action controller is IDENTICAL to Sony's) am used to it, it will be great for the PS3 to keep the same design. There is no doubt that it will feel comfortable in the hands since people have already played with it.

But I dislike the motion sensor feature... it seems kind of stupid flailing your controller in the air just to throw a damn football or pass a hockey puck. It sounds pretty good for like an airplane game but it's not needed for majority of games.

-Hopefully they will prove me wrong
  • What's this i hear about the controller being disposable?!?!?!!? I mean honestly, how is that suposed to work... i don't think i'd buy it unless it was a really cheap price... and why would you even want to throw one away unless it was deteriorating... (whihc would be brought about by it being of poor value b/c of being disposable).... so why make it disposable in the FIRST PLACE?!?!!?!!?!?! /endrant
  • About the PSP thing.

One thing I heard and it may just be total rumour was that the PSP could indeed be used as a controller. The idea being that for some types of games your energy bar, ammo etc would be displayed on a special HUD on the PSP screen instead of on the main game display. That means all the players in the room can't tell how much ammo etc your opponents have without wrenching the controller out of their hands... and that's hardly fair is it?

Just think of the possiblities for a moment. Even simple things like card games take on a whole new meaning when you have your own *personal* screen of information sitting in your hands that your opponents cant see.
  • kernmist said:
    About the PSP thing.

One thing I heard and it may just be total rumour was that the PSP could indeed be used as a controller.

it's true. However, you have to have the 60GB model to use the PSP as a controller. As the PSP run via wireless *insert techy frequency and stuff*, you need the 60GB PS3 as the 20GB only has bluetooth, so no PSP connectivity.
    Another way of using the PSP, apparently, will be racing games. The PSP will/could be used as a rear mirror so you don't have to constantly keep looking behind you to see where the other cars are. Be great for GTA games as well. Keep a look out where the Tanks are when you're driving your own tank blowing things up. Nowt more annoying than when a tank comes up behind you when your turning a corner with a BIG drop (like a canyon for example) and another tank nudges you off the road from behind and you fall to your watery grave :frown:
  • Jason F Staff said:
    However, you have to have the 60GB model to use the PSP as a controller. As the PSP run via wireless *insert techy frequency and stuff*, you need the 60GB PS3 as the 20GB only has bluetooth, so no PSP connectivity.

Pfff. There is only one model of PS3 as far as i'm concerned and it's the full on got everything version.

Splitting consoles into two different varieties and specifications is a bad idea and i'm sure the precendant will be something we all regret somewhere down the line when Game Developer X says "Oh, actually you can't run this game on the PS2.5 as we've had such a brilliant idea it requires the full spec PS3."

Cheaper versions are a bad idea. End of. :)
  • When it comes to the XBox 360 that may be the case considering their core unit model doesn't have the hard drive.

The PS3, however, has the hard drive on both- just not as much space in the base model. There's nothing missing on the 20 GB that would affect playability- just may have to do without little things like the rear-view mirror idea with a PSP. Not exactly a biggie in my book.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    ...just may have to do without little things like the rear-view mirror idea with a PSP. Not exactly a biggie in my book.

Not a biggie? NOT A BIGGIE? :o Oh well, don't say I didn't warn you. Don't blame us when you're constantly getting another tank up your tanks beehind and getting knocked down cliffs while we're constantly dodging the army thanks to our PSP's :p
  • I think ths controller is great.......lol.............i cant wait to get it..
  • Ques: If there is no dualshock in the ps3 controller, how would you play a ps2 game that does require a dualshock controller? Or, will the ps3 take a ps2 controller, I am guessing not.
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Not a biggie? NOT A BIGGIE? :o Oh well, don't say I didn't warn you. Don't blame us when you're constantly getting another tank up your tanks beehind and getting knocked down cliffs while we're constantly dodging the army thanks to our PSP's :p

I agree :)

What happens when the super-game-x comes out that uses a normal controller and has the PSP as an extra info screen, where the PSP buttons do *extra* things... it'll happen and when it does my kill ration will be better than yours ;)
  • I think it's stupid. I dont want to "throw" the football with my arm in Madden. I hope it can be turned off. I also hope that you can use a PS2 controller in it's place and that game makers will still incorporate the vibration function in their games. I think losing the vibration is a step BACK not forward. I LOVED it. When you shoot guns, get shot, are close to an explosion or even little things like going up or down in an elevator and it vibrates in time with the motion. THat is just a huge part in immersing yourself in a game. I dont know if Xbox 360 uses vibration, but if they do, I'll probably switch over to them when I'm done with my PS2
  • Unregistered said:
    I dont know if Xbox 360 uses vibration, but if they do, I'll probably switch over to them when I'm done with my PS

Wo wo wo wo WO!!!!! Now think about what you just said for a second. Now I'm not going to complete tear the XBOX360 system to bits, but, think of it this way, why have a bicycle when you can have a mortorbike? Why have a three-wheeler robin reliant when you can have a Subaru Impreza?
    OK, can't think of any other comparisons at the moment. Basically what I'm saying is wait. Sony may yet state that they'll release a controller with force feedback technology (rumble feature). Either that, or some third party company will do it instead. Just wait a while before changing to the "dark side" so to speak.

Of course, you could just be greedy and buy both systems, if you have the money to do that of course.
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Sony may yet state that they'll release a controller with force feedback technology (rumble feature). Either that, or some third party company will do it instead. Just wait a while before changing to the "dark side" so to speak.

Of course, you could just be greedy and buy both systems, if you have the money to do that of course.

That'll only happen if Sony gets over themselves and agrees to work with Immersion, the owners of the rumble technology. They have offered but Sony's too stubborn to back down. If someone else brings it out it wouldn't be much good unless the game programmers put it in the game- I can't see it happening that way as they will be programming for the majority and that will be using the SixAxis.

Now, I've had the 360 for just over a year and I did enjoy it- however, I've just recently sold it due to not enough time to spread between the Wii, the PS3 and the 360. The Wii is a decent little console too- you don't actually have to move the controller that much, a quick flick does the job.

Now, back to the PS3- I've made a good bit of use with it working on our first reviews of games on the console (Ridge Racer 7 and working on Resistance: Fall Of Man). I honestly did not miss the rumble that much- it would have been a nice touch but it wasn't an absolute necessity. The motion controls are an option in most games- RR7, for example, can be set to use it for changing gears with flipping the controller quickly forward or back while still using the left stick to steer, can steer by tilting left and right while changing gears on the buttons or have both set to tilt features. If you like the tilt can be shut off altogether. Resistance, meantime, uses the tilt for shaking off enemies that grab hold of you. It's different and you soon get used to it.

So, with all due respect, instead of going "Oh nooes, no rumble" give it a try with an open mind (and by a try I mean more than a couple minutes) and then give an opinion. We got along without rumble in gaming before, I think we can again.
  • Guest said:
    What no duel shock I play nothing but battle games now how am I supposed to know if I have been hit if there is no vibration, and how long will the battrys last after a charge I play sometimes for seven hours stright for the games I like.

no joking

the rechargeable controler is godlike,

iv had my ps3 about a week and iv charged my controler via usb 1 time for 1 hour, and it hasent gone down yet

and iv been playing ff12 for about 20 hours in a row
  • Unregistered said:
    It's alright.But why wouldn"t Sony just put rumble instead of tilt sense in it?

LOL, it does more than tilt censor, what a joke

man u can controler movements of stuff, and in basket ball u can do jukes and other stuff

motion censor ftw

rumbling is stupid
  • Jason F Staff said:
    it's true. However, you have to have the 60GB model to use the PSP as a controller. As the PSP run via wireless *insert techy frequency and stuff*, you need the 60GB PS3 as the 20GB only has bluetooth, so no PSP connectivity.
    Another way of using the PSP, apparently, will be racing games. The PSP will/could be used as a rear mirror so you don't have to constantly keep looking behind you to see where the other cars are. Be great for GTA games as well. Keep a look out where the Tanks are when you're driving your own tank blowing things up. Nowt more annoying than when a tank comes up behind you when your turning a corner with a BIG drop (like a canyon for example) and another tank nudges you off the road from behind and you fall to your watery grave :frown:

u can get a 20 dollar wifi adapter to do this job
  • I like the idea of motion sensors. I always have done. I will always be aiming to buy a PS3 as in my opinion it's the best system. The motion sensors will just be another way of having EyeToy fun (which rocks btw).

I am however about <-> this close to buying a Wii coz it just looks like a riot in a box :)
  • kernmist said:
    ...I am however about <-> this close to buying a Wii coz it just looks like a riot in a box :)

Well I'm gonna get a Wii for def. It's looks like a great little console. Have you actually seen the size of it though? I saw it for the first time weekend just gone. I went to Leeds with my nephew, to go see Santa Claus 3 at cinema, then we went in Game afterwards. They had a Wii pod. My nephew actually saw it first as it was at the other end of the store. One of the staff members were demonstrating it apparently, according to my nephew, but when I went over he was just switching it off. Anyway, the console is like super tiny. I felt like I could've picked it up and put it in my pocket. OK it's not literally THAT small, but it might as well be. As it's been said, it is the smallest of the 3rd gen consoles. The Wii sports look hilarious. Plus I sooo wanna create a Mii :laugh:

Going back to PS3 though, Tilt looks like it's gonna be pretty cool. Rumble is not an absolute necessity, although why Sony didn't get together with Immersion so we could've had perfectly working Tilt AND Rumble, dunno. Guess they just didn't wanna pay the money out. Pos cause of the cost of PS3, maybe just didn't have money spare. I know that sounds a bit stupid cause of the size of Sony, but haven't you heard the reports? Apparently they're like millions and millions of yen in debt and have massive loans from the Japanese banks. If PS3 doesn't sell like hotcakes for them, then they'll lose a HELL of a lot of money.
  • The PS3 Controller as in the PS2 looking one looks pretty slick from the pick I'm looking at... kind of a nice looking shiny color. Anyhow, the other controller I saw was the Batarang looking one. Did that come out also? I'm kind of behind the times.
  • Nah, the Boomerang controller was kind of the prototype. It's what was orignially going to come out. However, there was a bit of a backlash kind of as people couldn't understand why they were changing the shape of one of the best controllers ever created. So Sony redesigned the PS3 controller so it was exactly like the PSONE and PS2 Dual-Shock controllers. They, however, removed the Dual-Shock from the PS3 controllers and incorporated the Tilt technology instead.
    Lyndon will explain why they did this in case you're wondering.
  • The rumble was taken out due to a lawsuit with Immersion Technology, who claimed that Sony infringed on their patents to make the rumble in their controllers (Microsoft was sued for this as well). While M$ decided to settle out of court Sony stuck to their guns and fought it- and lost. Immersion offered to show how the two technologies (tilt and rumble) could work together but Sony bosses have a good bit of pride (or stubbornness) and have thus far refused as Jason alluded to up above.

We've seen some complain about the rumble being gone but personally, I didn't miss it a bit. Shaking the controller to fend off some of the grabby Chimera in Resistance works nicely as does tilting the controller for steering or changing gears in a racing game like Ridge Racer 7. I'm semi-patiently waiting for Warhawk to get out in 2007 to try flying just by tilting the controller. They use this in the PS3 version of Blazing Angels also- this may be my next purchase.
  • How much are PS3 games where you are then, Lyn?
    What's the cheapest game and what's the most expensive? Oh and what are their prices?
  • The regular price here is CAD$69.99 and then we have the taxes on top of that- makes it about $81.61 per game (we have a 6% federal goods and services tax and then a 10% provincial tax on top- this is just for Prince Edward Island, the provincial tax varies for other parts of Canada). Would translate into just over 36 GBP for the price with taxes. Makes it a bit cheaper for me to buy online and avoid the provincial tax.
  • I know they won't be, but I hope they're that cheap when they reach us in the UK.

XBox 360 games are about 49.99GBP at the moment and I expect PS3 to follow suit... :(
  • kernmist said:
    XBox 360 games are about 49.99GBP at the moment and I expect PS3 to follow suit... :(

I thought they'd dropped 360 games to
  • yeah, the new ps3 controller is sick (in a good way lol)

i thought that dumbass boomerang controller was so wimpy looking, it almost looked like some three yr old kids toy, not to mention it looked like you'd get cramps REALLY quickly because of its slimness.

i also think that it kicked ass that sony waited this long to release it, the shitty thing about the wii is that the motion senser is the ONLY way to play the games, as apposed to this, where you can choose, and thats awesome for me because i do like the whole idea that nintendo created, but i wouldnt want to ALWAYS play like that, i might want to play like that some of the time, but not everytime.

so yeah man, the new pad kicks ass

-chris-
  • THIS THING EFFIN ROCKS!!! :w00t2:

i mean yeah, the boomerang did look pretty uncomfy and i was actually planning on abandoning sony and going for a 360:devilish: but thank god i got the edge on ps3 before i made that mistake!

ive officially played the ps3 for the first time and now i will say it..
    i love the triggers, i love the home button, and i love the 6axis feature

the controller is so amazing, and i will probably find it waaay more comfortable to play motion sensor games with this than the baby wii.

i also noticed that once i saw the ps3, the 360 looked like a little kids toy too me more and more, so now i officially have $300 saved up and will be saving for just a couple more months before i can finally get my hands on one of these kick a** consols :D
  • :confused:
    as awesome as the controller is, how the heck does its battery charge?
    through the wall? through the playstation? through a computer?
  • the-man-overboard said:
    :confused:
    as awesome as the controller is, how the heck does its battery charge?
    through the wall? through the playstation? through a computer?

Dude, it's so much easier than that. It comes with a usb cord. You plug the controller into the usb cord, the usb plugs into the front of the ps3. You charge for a little while, rip the cord out and then play :) There is even a charging indicator that you can bring up On Screen, that shows you if you are low on charge or not. I love the new wireless controller. It's really easy to use, and feels great.
  • mcw1011 said:
    Dude, it's so much easier than that. It comes with a usb cord. You plug the controller into the usb cord, the usb plugs into the front of the ps3. You charge for a little while, rip the cord out and then play :) There is even a charging indicator that you can bring up On Screen, that shows you if you are low on charge or not. I love the new wireless controller. It's really easy to use, and feels great.

sweet, thanks for the tip

man i cant wait :D
    sweet, thanks for the tip

man i cant wait :D

No problem, I did forget to mention that the controller even Turns your system on and off/turns games on and off. That's a huge advancement as well.
  • mcw1011 said:
    No problem, I did forget to mention that the controller even Turns your system on and off/turns games on and off. That's a huge advancement as well.

lol, yes! i can be even MORE lazy than before
    lol, yes! i can be even MORE lazy than before

You bet. There is one bad thing about that button. If you accidentally sit on your controller while watching tv, your ps3 will come on. The system is so quiet, it will probably take you a couple hours to even notice its on :). Trust me, it could happen. But I love the button. You can press it in the middle of any game, (Say if a game locked up or something) and immediately return to the PS3 home menus, and the pause screen will show how much charge is left in your controller's battery, so you'll know.

Wireless is Stylish. :D
  • I my self have never tried the controller but my friends say its great im getting a ps3 in 2 days so i calculated the price of evreything and just controller is 59.99$ canadien!! :o
  • Whoa...I'm a bit late posting on this topic.... anyway about the controller , all in all a good design except 2 things, in my opinion, that could be improved :
    1. What about the BIG people with BIG hands? not a crucial thing but I would invest in a larger design and let the wife use the smaller one :o)
    2. Triggers aren't REALLY trigger shaped ?
  • I just scored a dura shock 3 controller and it ROCKS!

That is all.
  • Elijah said:
    Everything about the controller is great but i was just wondering why they didnt add another button that let u turn on the system from the controller similiar to the xbox360, sence the add the maine menu button?

it just like a xbox 360 button just hold the button and the ps3 turn on just like how u would with ur xbox only diff is u dont get to open a menu that lets u play ur own music or check ur s**t
  • The ability to "check your s**t", as you put it, is coming eventually in a firmware update. As for playing your own music, several games let you use custom soundtracks now such as Super Stardust HD and High Velocity Bowling. That bit is available now, it's just up to game developers to use it.
  • well, in case nobody's heard, the dualshock3 is coming out this spring, and its gonna cost somewhere in the high 90's range. even though i already have a ps3, i really think that sony should just start making it the standard controller that comes with the console.

just my opinion:mellow:
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Wo wo wo wo WO!!!!! Now think about what you just said for a second. Now I'm not going to complete tear the XBOX360 system to bits, but, think of it this way, why have a bicycle when you can have a mortorbike? Why have a three-wheeler robin reliant when you can have a Subaru Impreza?
    OK, can't think of any other comparisons at the moment. Basically what I'm saying is wait. Sony may yet state that they'll release a controller with force feedback technology (rumble feature). Either that, or some third party company will do it instead. Just wait a while before changing to the "dark side" so to speak.

lmao, thats funny cus thats exactly what i did.. i have a 360 elite and an 80gb ps3 and i love'em both :D
    well, in case nobody's heard, the dualshock3 is coming out this spring, and its gonna cost somewhere in the high 90's range. even though i already have a ps3, i really think that sony should just start making it the standard controller that comes with the console.

just my opinion:mellow:

We all know it is coming this spring but I want to know where the heck you heard that price from? There is no way they are going to charge that much for the controller. The price will be more in line with the current SixAxis.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    We all know it is coming this spring but I want to know where the heck you heard that price from? There is no way they are going to charge that much for the controller. The price will be more in line with the current SixAxis.

Yeah, I don't think they'd rub it in that we're buying a controller that probably should have come with the system in the first place. I expect and really hope to pay the same as I would for the regular Six Axis controller. There is no reason for it to cost as much as Guitar Hero+Guitar.
  • i would imagine would be around £10 more expensive or $20. Guitar hero was a complete skank, to be honest ive not really missed dual shock and escecially not the annoying ratling sound they made if theyve sortd that out ill probably consider getting one.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:

yeah, im starting to think that sounds a little crazy now too:o . i got that price from another playstation site. i think what the guy actually meant was he had to pay that for HIS controller. cus he ordered it early from a japan source or something like that. but yeah, i think he just got his words mixed up.
  • [QUOTE=sfjp@hotmail.co.uk;54393]i would imagine would be around
  • Jason F Staff said:
    Well I'm gonna get a Wii for def. It's looks like a great little console. Have you actually seen the size of it though? I saw it for the first time weekend just gone. I went to Leeds with my nephew, to go see Santa Claus 3 at cinema, then we went in Game afterwards. They had a Wii pod. My nephew actually saw it first as it was at the other end of the store. One of the staff members were demonstrating it apparently, according to my nephew, but when I went over he was just switching it off. Anyway, the console is like super tiny. I felt like I could've picked it up and put it in my pocket. OK it's not literally THAT small, but it might as well be. As it's been said, it is the smallest of the 3rd gen consoles. The Wii sports look hilarious. Plus I sooo wanna create a Mii :laugh:

Going back to PS3 though, Tilt looks like it's gonna be pretty cool. Rumble is not an absolute necessity, although why Sony didn't get together with Immersion so we could've had perfectly working Tilt AND Rumble, dunno. Guess they just didn't wanna pay the money out. Pos cause of the cost of PS3, maybe just didn't have money spare. I know that sounds a bit stupid cause of the size of Sony, but haven't you heard the reports? Apparently they're like millions and millions of yen in debt and have massive loans from the Japanese banks. If PS3 doesn't sell like hotcakes for them, then they'll lose a HELL of a lot of money.

oh, yeah i heard something about that, something about them losing like $200 worth of yen each console.:eek:
  • I think the new joypad is great. It is very responsive and i like the new motion sensor.

As for the rumble, well it would be nice to have it too but to be fairly honest I can live without it. If i had to choose between the two, i prefer the motion sensor. It, I feel, adds more control to the games you play.

The grip is the usual feeling, which is great :)
  • Zeppi said:
    I think the new joypad is great. It is very responsive and i like the new motion sensor.

As for the rumble, well it would be nice to have it too but to be fairly honest I can live without it. If i had to choose between the two, i prefer the motion sensor. It, I feel, adds more control to the games you play.

The grip is the usual feeling, which is great :)

The DualShock 3 has recently been released by Sony. It incorporates Sixaxis and rumble into a single PS3 controller. So now, theres no need to decide between the two, just go for the DualShock 3.;)
  • Thats good news, but I do not think i will get one until i need which will be in a pretty long time.
  • Yeah. Keep in mind though, next time you go looking for a controller just make sure its the DS3...;) The sixaxis stocks would probably be run out by then anyhow.
  • I just hope that they are more durable than the normal ones. I have snapped a couple PS2 and one PS3 controller in half. I'm not an angry person....really. :eek:
  • Never had issues with any sony controller since the first playstation model... If you snaped it then yes you are an angry person :rolleyes:
  • Zeppi said:
    Never had issues with any sony controller since the first playstation model... If you snapped it then yes you are an angry person :rolleyes:

HAHAHA!! Not really. The PS2 ones that I broke in half I had taken apart to modify them into custom SOCOM controllers which might have weakened them. I have a tendency to hold those controllers tight in the heat of gaming. As for the PS3 one... I did let a game get the best of me at one point and ended up putting a crack in the casing so I decided to dissect it since I had 3 others to see what made it tick. It didn't take much to snap it in half. You cant tell me that I'm the only one that has done that. ha ha.

Nec
  • I did not say that you are the only angry person :p
  • Got a Dual Shock 3 controller with my system, and I absolutely love it. The rumbles feature is excellent, and interacts well wit the action on screen at the time...slight when it should be, big when the action gets rolling along.

Nice.
  • I love the ps3 controlers, i wisht the handles where a bit bigger but i have huge hands. I love how sensitive the analogs are, u just barely move them and the controller picks it up. Much better than the clunky xbox 360 controllers. As for the motion sensor its a cool idea, but more of a distraction in some games (KZ2) than a usefull aplication.
  • I believe the use of the motion sensor is a thing which is few and far between but it is catching on like wildfire. I am seeing the use of it in more and more games. (KZ2 for example) But Gladius is right when placing a D-charge in KZ2 it is more of a hindrance then a useful application. I know it has been said many times many ways the dual shock is sorely missed.
  • I love the r/l2 triggers lmao, they're fun to press.
    'Nuff said.
  • I was actually just saying the other day how the Playstation controller is probably the best game controller of all time - there's a reason the design has changed very little in the last 15 years!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion