Burnout: Paradise Comments
  • We'd like to hear your comments on Burnout: Paradise, just released on the PS3. Favorite bits? Annoyances? Let's have it. B)
  • Just picked her up yesterday.

Early impressions, I will come back in a couple days with a more thorough impression.

Pros so far:

1) I LOVE the idea of "snapshotting" someone right after you destroy their car. It is so funny. Yesterday I took down a guy online, and his picture came up. He was sitting on a massive couch and he had his arms out like "What the heck man?!" The best part is that it saves the images of your taken down opponents, and I'm assuming you can save them to your hard drive and export them to the web. If so, I am going to post some of my favorite take down pictures right here :p.

2) The game runs excellently. I am amazed that you can go so fast, yet everything is very visible. They didn't go too Need For Speedy on it, and blur everything making it impossible to see. Everything is crisp. Also, it may just be me, but I think the retail version looks slightly better than the demo version. The demo might be a couple months older than the finished copy.

3) I don't know if it was in the most recent Burnout's, but I like that when you see another racer in offline mode with a car you want, you can chase him down, take him out, and it sends his car to your garage. Pretty cool.

Some cons I have run into:

1) Seems like you're forced to learn the layout of the city. In a few races I have attempted, if you take 1 wrong turn, you could be going in the complete wrong direction, with no way to get off of the highway you are on. Thus, all the other cars (in offline mode) go the correct way, and you just drive forever in last place.

2) If you go online, if you invite a friend into your map, you have no idea where he is. You basically have to ask him over the headset "What side of the city are you on? Mountains, city, where about?" I haven't learned the map yet either. I tried bringing up the full screen map in the pause menu, but it only seems to show your car. And the mini map (Like GTA style map) in the screen corner only shows a couple miles in a circle around you, so it is very hard to locate your friend.

If there is more people in your game, it's less of a problem, but it is still a problem, because it seems like you drive forever just to find another racer.

3) Showtime mode is pretty silly. If you've played "Pain", it's like that with cars (With Pain, there is more of a purpose... barely :)). Your car turns into a bouncy ball, and you can control where it lands, trying to aim for other vehicles and rack up points. I don't even know what happens if you get a high score in showtime mode, I guess you just are listed as the high-score holder. It's just kind of mindless.

More impressions to come, like I said. Hopefully some of you picked up the game, I'd like to play you online, I haven't seen any of you on there yet. Just make sure to wear headset and use an Eyetoy if you have one (I have a PS2 eyetoy, works fine. Just a little grainy). Without a headset it'd be hard to locate you on the map.

* Thought of one more thing. As I mentioned to Lyndon, the demo does Burnout a great disservice. By sectioning off such a small portion of the city, disallowing the use of many intersections to test the different play modes out, allowing only one car, etc., despite what they say, the demo didn't cut it. I can safely say that the game makes up for the shoddy demo. It's been said in the past "You can't make a demo for an open-world game". Well, at least they tried :) Uncharted ended up being the same way. The demo doesn't show half of what you get to do. I feel sorry for people who picked up "Assassin's Load Time" instead of Uncharted. Uncharted pulls off the "freerunning" aspect much better than Ubisoft ever could, and without playing it, you wouldn't know that. But look which one makes more money. Sony/Naughty Dog should have advertised the gameplay of Uncharted better than just the short demo...*
  • I just picked it up on Thursday, so as well I can't give a full review. Also I have yet to go online with it due to work. This weekend I hope to really dig into everything it has to offer, but here are my first impressions.

The speed is absolutely blistering, I find myself using the emergency brake quite often to spin around and go back to crash through something I saw but blew right past. Don't get me wrong, this is a GOOD thing for a Burnout game.

Personally I love the slow-mo crashes. My wife and I have some pretty good debates as to whether or not a person could survive a given wreck. The game will make you say OUCH after wrecks, or in my case yell expletives. Due to the speed of the game, you WILL end up crashing into things you didn't see coming. This is actually fun because it will make you jump due to the surprise factor.

If Showtime wasn't required for completion, I wouldn't bother with it. They would have been better off bringing back Crash runs from Burnout 3 and Revenge instead.

I guess my first impressions are if you are a fan of the series ( the PS2 titles anyway ) then this is a must try.
  • MCWHAMMER said:

2) If you go online, if you invite a friend into your map, you have no idea where he is. You basically have to ask him over the headset "What side of the city are you on? Mountains, city, where about?" I haven't learned the map yet either. I tried bringing up the full screen map in the pause menu, but it only seems to show your car. And the mini map (Like GTA style map) in the screen corner only shows a couple miles in a circle around you, so it is very hard to locate your friend.

If there is more people in your game, it's less of a problem, but it is still a problem, because it seems like you drive forever just to find another racer.

After getting more hours of play, I realize that I was completely wrong about this. If you go into the pause menu it DOES show other cars, but if they are in the middle of a RACE that you are not a part of, they will not show up on the map. I may still be wrong about half of that, but I now know that they are all visible on the map.

The hardest part about the game is getting friends online to do the team challenges. I have one friend from another site that helped me complete about 10 challenges in one session, so that was awesome. But really, I expected a lot of ya'll to get the game and be on there with me. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not seeing you online :(

I did get online with JAY Staff a day or two ago, but he was in no mood to play. He quit our race early and never got back on. I hate when people do that just because YOU are winning and not THEM. I must've just been too good for him. I'll post his Takedown snapshots in that thread tommorow ;)
  • i havnt bought the game but i have played the demo. I dont like the idea that they took out offline multyplayer but with what you can do it makes up for it. I also like how much more detail they put into the crashes.
  • picked it up the other day very impressed with it,the graphics are amazing and how quick you get online is great no waiting about,the only thing i cant work out is why the two car's i thought i had won online i never got :confused: and I'm not really to sure acctually how you win other cars.
    i must agree about the map its very hard to follow half the time i have no idea where I'm going,apart from that its a great game.................by the way mcwhammer I've seen you online and tried to invite you but as always it wont let me :confused:
  • steelcitysurfer said:
    the only thing i cant work out is why the two car's i thought i had won online i never got :confused: and I'm not really to sure acctually how you win other cars.

This confused me too. But I think I've got it figured out. Once you unlock the highest license available in the game (Or at least the license that is required to drive the car you have unlocked online, or via sponsor code), you can use any car that is available and you have unlocked. So, even though you can play those cars online, people can set up races online that have rules like: "C License or worse" or "All Licenses" (Not the correct wording, but you know what I mean). So, some cars you have unlocked at one point may not even appear if the race has a rule that doesn't allow the use of such car.

Hopefully that is not too confusing, but I'm just now starting to figure it out (I hope). I have a B License right now, and have about 10 events to win to get the next license higher. A lot of cars I unlocked online are not available for my use at all yet.

i must agree about the map its very hard to follow half the time i have no idea where I'm going,apart from that its a great game.................by the way mcwhammer I've seen you online and tried to invite you but as always it wont let me :confused:

You'll get better at figuring out the map. As much as you might hate it, you kind of have to memorize paths to get the fastest lap times and beat competitors. I have lost many a race because I missed a turn, or slammed into a wall. But, you learn your lessons quickly.

About invites, does it say "Can't Invite" beside my name? I have seen that beside people's names on MY friends list when I try to invite them. I think that it means the person is IN a race, or doing an event when you are trying to invite them. So I think your invite has to wait until they are done with the event. If I see you online too, I'll try to invite you in mine. I would like to complete some of the online team challenges, and maybe do a few races.

Hope that helps. Believe me, I've had the same confusion you have had, thanks to EA making 3 page instruction manuals now. They really cheaped out on this one with explaining things. I think I've started to figure a lot of things out about it now.
  • well i got paradise yesterday...man it is awesome. But the gargantuan map is extremely annoying. because of that i never do any of the races. Can i add some of you guys?
  • thanks for that MC whammer,cant remeber what it said next to your name,i will look next time you are online,it is a very hard game to get to grips with ive got a couple of cars now so i may be getting the hang of it.
  • something i dont really like with this game is that theres is no driver :confused: they have done an excelent job on the graphics the ammount of detail etc etc but not botherd putting a driver in the car WHY.
    its a little thing i no.;)
  • steelcitysurfer said:
    something i dont really like with this game is that theres is no driver :confused: they have done an excelent job on the graphics the ammount of detail etc etc but not botherd putting a driver in the car WHY.

I was listening to an older episode of "Crash FM" (The Burnout/Criterion Games official podcast) just the other day, and someone wrote in to them asking why not.

They actually gave a very good answer that made a lot of sense. They are trying to make Burnout appeal to many different people, different age groups, and above all, make a fun game. By putting a driver in a car that is flying through the air, they are adding something violent to the game, that some people might not want to see. They said that so many people die in car wrecks, that adding a person flying through the windshield of your car could offend people unnecessarily. So, I guess I kind of agree with them.

They also said that they spent so much time on detailing every little thing, that if you add a driver, they have to add details to him like turning the wheel, throwing his hands up, facial detail, etc., they just did not want to bother themselves with all of that, when after all, it's just a driving game. Not a crash-test dummies kind of thing :p
  • thats a very good reason i didnt think of it like that,cheers for that.:)
  • Just got hold of the game yesterday and overall I'm pretty impressed with it. Haven't delved into the online play yet (want to build up my license and vehicle collection first) but the game controls well. It feels a bit similar to Test Drive Unlimited to me, minus the persistent online world/ buying homes/ side missions (not a bad thing, TD: U is a good game as well).
  • First post, so go easy on me!

Just got the game a few days ago, but loving the offline, although the map is a b*tch to use and often makes the races a guessing game (I often purposely hold back from taking first place until I can see where the other cars are headed).

Online I'm finding that I can't get races started on demand. I go in, search for a open race but when I join it's always Freeburn instead. Am I mising something really obvious here? Maybe I should be hosting my own races? Any simple advice to make this work?
  • YNWA01 said:
    Online I'm finding that I can't get races started on demand. I go in, search for a open race but when I join it's always Freeburn instead. Am I mising something really obvious here? Maybe I should be hosting my own races? Any simple advice to make this work?

Hope you catch my answer. When you do a "Search" for races only, what you are searching for is a "Freeburn" online mode where someone is either in a race, just finished a race when you clicked, or a race has been setup. After a race is set up (By the Host player only), they decide when to start the race. So basically, you either wait for them to start a race, or you can start your own online match and set up a race yourself.

OK, now, to what I came here to say.

Burnout: Paradise is the best online racing experience I have ever had. I have had SO much fun completing challenges with friends and people I met online. You can't imagine without playing how much fun it is. There is just something so great about collaborating with good people to complete challenges. I've met a ton of great individuals on Burnout, and even better, I snapped their pictures (Or Mugshots), so I know what they look like :D (LiliDevil is SO Hot... I found myself taking her down just to snap another picture ;)).

I've said it repeatedly, and I'll say it again. If you aren't playing this, you are missing out on the best PS3 racing available right now. Best part? It only get's better as you gain more experience and learn the map.
  • It took me a bit but I'm back to expand upon my earlier post. I've put in a little over 145 hours of offline play and have still only completed 78% of the game, there is just an incredible amount of things to accomplish in Paradise.

A personal word of advise for newcomers is to focus on the Burning Routes, that is where you unlock special versions of cars and it also counts as won events which unlocks other cars. When new cars enter to be taken down, I suggest heading all the way West where there are lots of long stretches of road with few turnoffs for the other car to ditch you.

Another hint is for Stunt Events ( my 2 1/2 year old son stumbled on this for me) when going in reverse all points for stunts are doubled.

Last little bit of info that I found helped immensely is whenever an event starts I hit Select as soon as the light turns green. This pauses the game and gives you more than a few seconds to plan your route. Following the others isn't always the way to victory. You can also hit Select anytime during the event to pause and reasess where you're at and where you need to go.

Those are tidbits for offline play, as for online, I still haven't really spun my wheels that much yet due to timing issues. Also don't know that many people who Burnout online yet. I will be getting to it now though.
  • BOP online is crazy fun! lol

just get in your ride...hit up ur friends...and start trying to Wreck eachother! Destruction Derby style!! I would have liked for them to add a 'driver' behind the wheel. Also, some crashes or impacts could have been better or more 'realistic' alot of the time cars are like TANKS that cant smashed lol

if you dont have BURNOUT PARADISE...and your a 'CAR/RACING FAN'...you need to get it!

• Lyndon M STAFF said:
    We'd like to hear your comments on Burnout: Paradise, just released on the PS3. Favorite bits? Annoyances? Let's have it. B)

to get online i have to download an update which is 350+ mb and i dont think i can do it from a pc i have to do it from console its really irritatin. if anyone knows how to update through a pc and transfer it to the console and install it plz let me know
  • The update has to be downloaded via the PS3 itself, rudra, when you start the disc up. No other way around it.
  • I think the game is a little tough but it really has a lot of action