Grand Theft Viral
  • [CENTER]image
    [/CENTER]

Well, I guess GTA IV really is coming out this time. Because they've begun what is sure to be a news-making, massive viral campaign. They seem to be following the suit of what had previously only been going on with mainstream movies lately.

What you see above is an actual GTA IV Wanted poster stuck on a telephone pole in Brooklyn, NY (Among many scattered in the area, reports claim). The fine print may be hard to read, but it says that since Nico is a foreigner, the police department cannot arrest many more of them, so he is to be shot on site.

Also, on the bottom of the poster is an email address where you are to send sightings of Nico to the Liberty City police department.

And when you send an email to that address... you get this:

[CENTER]image

I am impressed. Can't wait to see Fox News complain about this... surely someone is ready to pounce on Rockstar again. For some reason, I don't think this is the last you'll see of their viral campaign. Post more as you come across it (Perhaps on your very own street corner).

[/CENTER]
  • Thompson is already trying to figure out his next moves regarding the game- you know he'll have something to say about it. :rolleyes:

Interesting idea but I wonder how many non-gamers will look at that poster, read it and start complaining about the "can't arrest any more foreigners, shoot on sight" bit. Sounds like another marketing idea that can blow up in someone's face (kinda like those guys that thought the boxes with the character from ATHF stuck around bridges and such was a good marketing idea last year).
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    (kinda like those guys that thought the boxes with the character from ATHF stuck around bridges and such was a good marketing idea last year).

That's the first thing I thought of. You'd think at some point, Rockstar would shy away from controversy... just a little bit. I think they know exactly what they are doing. You stick fake Wanted posters up everywhere, and you are just asking for news coverage.

I'm glad they stick to their guns :) This finally gets me excited for GTA, now that I know it is finally within reach. It's actually going to come out.
  • Spot on, Rockstar are masters of courting publicity. If there is anyone who owns a PS3 but is unaware of the GTA brand, they wont be when this gets out.

ALL publicity is good publicity when it comes to sales, especially with games.

I actually admire them, they use people who are ignorant about the whole scene to generate publicity for them!

.......as long as (this time) they actually get this game out.........RIP MANHUNT 2!!!!!!
  • Are you sure Rockstar actually did that, or is it some joker just clowning around?
    They'll obviously get a lot of bad press for the "Foreigner shoot on site" thing lol.......
    Anyway GTAIV gonna be awesome !!!!!!!:D
  • robcoxy said:
    Are you sure Rockstar actually did that, or is it some joker just clowning around?
    They'll obviously get a lot of bad press for the "Foreigner shoot on site" thing lol.......
    Anyway GTAIV gonna be awesome !!!!!!!:D

Since posting, I've found out that Rockstar is sending out press kits with these posters, and now they have been made available for printing. So yes, Rockstar is behind it, they're sending these posters out in hopes you will use them and get yourself in trouble ;).

Here are the print outs (Quite funny to read):
    -----
    NICO
    SOME GUY
    ISABELA

If you want the original, full size (10x14) versions, PM me. Can't post the direct links.
  • nice touch top quality advertisment
  • Haha ahhh Rockstar......:)
    Nice find MCW....;)
  • MCWHAMMER said:
    [CENTER]image
    [/CENTER]

Well, I guess GTA IV really is coming out this time. Because they've begun what is sure to be a news-making, massive viral campaign. They seem to be following the suit of what had previously only been going on with mainstream movies lately.

What you see above is an actual GTA IV Wanted poster stuck on a telephone pole in Brooklyn, NY (Among many scattered in the area, reports claim). The fine print may be hard to read, but it says that since Nico is a foreigner, the police department cannot arrest many more of them, so he is to be shot on site.

Also, on the bottom of the poster is an email address where you are to send sightings of Nico to the Liberty City police department.

And when you send an email to that address... you get this:

[CENTER]image

I am impressed. Can't wait to see Fox News complain about this... surely someone is ready to pounce on Rockstar again. For some reason, I don't think this is the last you'll see of their viral campaign. Post more as you come across it (Perhaps on your very own street corner).

[/CENTER]
    look on the rockstar website there are loads more pics