connection problems
  • Im having connection problems on cod4 mainly,when trying to invite friends it just never happens i can join any other game apart from when i send or recive invites,but even when i do connect to a game a some times get a really bad connection is this down to the way i have my PS3 connected?
    i use a thrust master fun access key instead of a wireless router so could this be the problem,ive checked the signal strength and it goes from about 45 to 50% it dosent seem to get any stronger,would i be better of buying a wirless router? or just trailing the 50ft ethernet cable up and down the stairs when ever i want to connect with friends,some one out there must be able to help :D
  • It could be a mixture of both, the CoD4 servers can sometimes play up and your connection could be holding you back. Having a bad one obviously doesnt help though..;)
    I would suggest buying a wireless router yeah, or use an ethernet cable between your PS3 and the router. This proves to be successful for many people. If you need any advice in setting it all up, you know where to come.;)
  • that was quick rob cheers ;)
    could it be down to having really bad upload speed (what ever that is) i can never find out what it is :confused:
  • Yeah maybe, but that would normally stop you with the downloading game settings problem a lot of people get.

I think it is probably your connection, so therefore i would try a router of some sort, or use dlan ethernet adaptors. Access points will never give you full strength connection in my experience...:rolleyes:
  • what kind of router do you suggest? and what are Ethernet adapters?
  • If you are able to i would go with the wired connection- at that distance with the PS3 it would be more stable. That signal strength you say you get is definitely not enough. My personal recommendation is the D-Link line of products- i use one myself. Very straightforward set up and easy to customize settings for things like port forwarding, custom ip addresses for the ps3, etc.
  • Wired connection as said by Lyndon are so much more reliable. I have both systems at work (my job is to administer the computer system and database) and I can tell ya that the wired link is 100% reliable.
  • Steel...

I have this issue as well. I get invites to join you guys all the time but every time I click "ok", it tells me that the server is no longer available or its timed out. I dont have any other connection issues other than that. I know its not my router. I always have 100% signal out to my PS3 thanks to my D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router.

Nec
  • so should i just stick with what I've got or go out and by a wireless router
    that i have no idea how to set up or use and cant really afford :confused:
    i must say i don't seem to have any problems really with any other games,apart from cod4.
    on my PC when i check the connection it does say it's got a good signal,so if i go out and buy a router what sort of speed do i go for? the cheapest i can find is 54mbps and that is what i get from the fun access key :huh: .
    Ive got a headache now its just to much to fathom.
  • Do not go out and purchase a wireless router based on a few bad connections with COD4. If you do not have any other issues with any other games then dont waste your time. The only reason for a wireless router is pretty much convenience. The main one being that you dont have wires running thought your home or workplace. If you have wi-fi capable products like the apple itouch, laptops or even printers, the router makes it much easier to link to the internet or network. Please dont go spending the money unless you actually have use for a router. This will not fix the issue we spoke of earlier. Many people are having the same problem so I think its more of a server thing. However, if you decide to go wireless, do your research first and do not go low end if it can be avoided.

Nec
  • steelcitysurfer said:
    so should i just stick with what I've got or go out and by a wireless router
    that i have no idea how to set up or use and cant really afford :confused:
    i must say i don't seem to have any problems really with any other games,apart from cod4.
    on my PC when i check the connection it does say it's got a good signal,so if i go out and buy a router what sort of speed do i go for? the cheapest i can find is 54mbps and that is what i get from the fun access key :huh: .
    Ive got a headache now its just to much to fathom.

When you have the money and the time, i would have to recommend going out and buying a router and using a wired connection, take Lyn's suggestions. Its reliable and fast.

If you have problems setting it up, you know were always here to help...;)
  • i think you may be right stick with what ive got or use a cable see how it goes.....THANKS :)
  • the problem on COD4 is not down to your conection, i use a Netgear wireless router, i never get a signal strength less than 80%, and i cannot join accept an invite unless i am in the lobby.

We have all experienced this, it was driving sfjp mad for a while.

Remember we bumped into each other in the lobby, we managed ok then, its just when you are already on a agme, it wont let you accept an invite.

I think............
  • The CoD4 servers are tempremental to say the least at times, this is what causes a lot of the problems. But it can also be down to certain aspects of your connection, such as the signal strength and upload speed. What we're trying to say is if you have a good connection, there's nothing stopping you from having a good online experience everytime and a Router is one of the best ways to do this....:)

I do agree with you though Don. I know people who never have a problem with their connection and cant seem to join invites or games on CoD4, this obviously points to their servers if nothing else.