What is you job?
  • I am curious as to what others do for a living.

First and foremost, NEVER be embarrassed to answer if you work for a living. To me, someone flipping burgers to support themselves (and/or their family) is no different than a CEO of a company. The pay may be different, but we all do what we have to to pay the bills.

With that being said, I will start:

I am a commercial Graphic Designer and also a Digital Pre-press operator. I have been doing so for approximately 20 years, and find it to be extremely rewarding (for the most part).

No matter where I work, I am always allowed to dress as casual as I want (because I am usually away from the public), and enjoy the creativity, problem-solving and freedom this particular career allows me.

The Graphic Design is self-explanatory, but for those who don't know what Digital Pre-press is, I convert files from other designers, and properly prepare them for the offset printing process. (Checking that the colors are correct, fonts and images are correct and true, adjust trapping, chokes, bleeds, etc...)

Although I am very fortunate in what I do, I have had my fair share of dirty work with terrible hours and worse pay. I have not forgotten what that is like, where I came from, and I have a HUGE amount of respect for those who break their backs and put up with less-than-ideal working conditions. I have absolutely NO respect for arrogant, look-down-their-noses types who scoff at those "in the trenches", as the saying goes.

So, how about you, what is your "daily grind"?
  • Most of the veterans here will likely recall that my main job was at a seafood processing plant, had been at that place since June 1984. As much as I would like to make the site my main job, that just isn't in the cards (unless I hit the super 7 or lotto 6 49 over the weekend).

However, since mid-June 2008 I have since moved on to a job taking customer service calls at a local call center. I've been enjoying it so far as I don't work as many hours as at the plant and the pay is somewhat similar plus it is a full time year round job, no more dealing with setting up employment insurance over the winter months.
  • My current job right now is I am a Fantasyland Attractions hostess at Disneyland. I'm pretty sure Scott W STAFF got me the job because I name dropped him, but blew the interview...and I still got hired. (Woohoo! Thanks Scott!)

I work all of the rides behind the Sleeping Beauty castle with the only exceptions being the Matterhorn mountain and the narrating boat ride called Storybookland. So the main summary would be these attractions(in order of what ones I like best):

Casey Jr. Circus Train
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Alice in Wonderland
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Pinnochio's Daring Journey
    Snow White's Scary Adventure
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Mad Tea Party
    King Arthur's Carroussel

My costume looks pretty weird. It is a Dutch looking shirt with a strange looking trenchcoat. It doesn't feel too bad when everyone else has to wear them, but I certainly wouldn't go out and party in that uniform. I can't anyway, it'll "ruin the magic".

What do I specifically do? I push buttons and make sure children and parents are following all the ride requirements. For example, I can't let a child who's two ride by himself, he's gotta have someone ride with him. While this location is great and all I like the other location I work. My favorite part of the job though is saying phrases that relate to the theme of the attraction. (i.e. if Pinnochio breaks down and people ask why he's broken down? "Boys ran a little bit crazy in Pleasure Island. Once we get them under control, we'll let you back in"....or if Mr. Toad breaks down, "Mr. Toad was speeding and got caught without a driver's license so he's been put in jail and we've gotta work with police to get him released.") It's lots of fun!

Yes, that means I even work the one location everyone said they would shoot themselves if they had to work, "It's a Small World". Why do I like it?

1) Well, compared to the slow movement of time at the other attractions, Small World goes by fast.
    2) People are generally much happier at Small World...as are the cast members because Small World is the location a number of attractions cast members want to work. Unfortunately that makes it difficult for me to get hours because I haven't yet been there a year.
    3) You get a cool hat! Most people hate the hat, but I think compared to the hats of the other costume, it looks pretty cool. I look like a pretty awesome gondelier.:D

That's my daily grind and so far about, 600 dollars I've earned from it has gone to my education. Yay for school! I will be moving to Riverside in the Fall though, so we'll see how that's gonna work out for work. I hope I can stay there only because not having a job is not an option.

Once I graduate from college, I intend to get a job in writing...but for right now I'm stuck doing grunt work.
  • I am a Pharmacy Technician working for the national health service at Whiston Hospital.

Ive worked in pharmacy for 6 years previously in community (pharmacy shops you take prescriptions too when you get them off your GP) but since March i have worked in hospital.

So basically - If you were admitted to hospital a pharmacy technician would come up to the ward and take your drug history. Then if you need any drugs whilst in hospital these are requested by either a tech or a pharmacist on the ward and sent down to the main inpatient pharmacy where they are dispensed (again by techs) and sent back to the ward for you to take. Then when it is time for you to go home a 'discharge prescription' is written for you by your consultant. This is sent down to the pharmacy along with any drugs you have been brought in with. These are checked against the discharge to see if you still need them and then they are either sent back up to you or any fresh meds dispensed. Your prescription would be checked by a technician such as myself before it went back to the ward to make sure you get the right stuff. I do the checking too. Then there is the manufacturing unit (where IV and chemo is made) and also making suspensions out of tablets when they have been requested but are not commercially available
    Thats it in a nutshell anyway!!

I LOVE my job - i have worked bloody hard to get where i am and even though i have taken a pay drop to come into the hospital sector i have never been happier.

That said i too have done my fair share of donkey work over the years - i flipped burgers for macdonalds whilst paying to put myself through uni. Something i am very proud of as i had friends who's mummy and daddy sent them the money. Anyone who works for a living these days deserves a pat on the back
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Most of the veterans here will likely recall that my main job was at a seafood processing plant, had been at that place since June 1984.

By golly, I do remember that! As a matter of fact, that is how I learned what & where PEI is located.

[B]Jane N STAFF:

Nice to hear that you are enjoying the new job...I think I read about it elsewhere on the forums in an older post.

Melinda S STAFF

I think you need to post a photo of you in your uniform. Best of luck for your future writing career. Journalism or creative writing?
  • Lucifer said:
    Melinda S STAFF

I think you need to post a photo of you in your uniform. Best of luck for your future writing career. Journalism or creative writing?

One of these days I could...so's long as the photo isn't too large. Lately photos I've uploaded have been humongous and there's no software on this lappie that can edit it. One of these days though.....you do mean post a photo of me as a gondelier right? Cuz there is no chance in a blue moon I'm gonna sport my dutch outfit for you guys--sorry.;)

I prefer creative writing personally. My imagination is best left to run wild, but...if I can only get a job in journalism then so be it.:)
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    you do mean post a photo of me as a gondelier right? Cuz there is no chance in a blue moon I'm gonna sport my dutch outfit for you guys--sorry.;)

Dang it! Yes, I was referring to you and your Dutch outfit. ;)
  • Mel i wanna see the uniform too - Mabe thats the next deal - post a pic in uniform!!! Becuase i was a manager in the last place i didnt get a uniform but had to dress professionally which was a right pain as you dont wanna wear your good clothes to work but i didnt wanna look scruffy!! Its such a blessing to be back as non management in this place and get to have a uniform - I feel like i belong to a team again!!
  • Im a bartender. Its a fun job and I make a decent living. I am about to graduate college on Saturday so Im going to start looking for a real job after that.
  • Wow congrats on the graduation Mike!!! WHt kind of jobs are you gonna be looking for?
  • I currently am a manager at Gamestop while I'm in school. I finished my AAS for IT/Net Sec and working on my BS now. Good times.
  • madhtr said:
    I currently am a manager at Gamestop while I'm in school. I finished my AAS for IT/Net Sec and working on my BS now. Good times.

OMG! madhtr...is that you!?

Long time ol' buddy! Glad to hear things are going good with your schooling and your job as well. PLEASE keep in touch....
  • i work with my dad at a place called (Generation's computer)
    when i pay for my PSP i'll get my PS3 system with 2 games and another sixaxis controller<====it's kinda an offer) and yeah..i start at 4 pm until 8 pm<br />there's some thing special about selling things.............you know...
  • Lucifer said:
    OMG! madhtr...is that you!?

Long time ol' buddy! Glad to hear things are going good with your schooling and your job as well. PLEASE keep in touch....

Indeed it is me. Long time no see. Good to see you too, and I still come around from time to time to see how things are progressing.
  • I'm a car mechanic, i love cars and it doesn't pay much but i love what i do and the people that i work with are very interesting and cool, basically everytime i wake up in the morning i can't wait to go to work, everyday is an adventure here hehe.
  • Jast3r Rogu3 said:
    I'm a car mechanic...

If I can't fix it with bailing wire & duct tape, I give you guys a call. :huh:
  • Working in Kitchens & Bedrooms Trade & Retail. Basically we supply & fit everything you can think of. Plus we manufacture & supply carcases to other companies across the U.K. I'm not tied down to one job, I've got loads around in the factory & offices to keep me going and also get the chance to travel around the U.K. every so often. I work with lots of machinery (no training as done that crap in a past job) & also top man for bespoke items/units. I do have a laugh every day as I work with a very easy going family owned & run business and work with Jane's cousin, whick her family are nuts!!

Had a few other jobs over the years, some I just f***** hated!

Signmaker & Graphic Designer (16 years, good at times, got bad 2 years near end, why I left the career)

TV set Maker - Lg Philips, not great, but a nice job. Only there for 2 years as it closed down

Aseptic Carton Manufacturer - SIG Combibloc. Making cartons for Juice, Custard, Smoothies, Soups, Starbucks, Stocks etc.... pretty much if you pick up a carton it will say underneath SIG or Tetrapak. I made them. Started at the ass end of packing cartons into a box, to Quality Control, running a heat sealer, then onto Die-cut machinery then started training back onto print machines (setting ink pots, drum changes, & prof settings etc....) Was a great job, easy money but worldwide cuts were made & our factory got the chop! few years of great fun.

Doughnut maker - enough said!!!! lasted only 1 day, was just hell, walked out

Pride Valley Foods (Mission Deli) making Nann bread, pitta bread & tortila wraps. Was a product mixer (many recipies in my head for different breads) then got move to a line operator of the most brutal line in the factory. 6 X 12 hour shifts in a place that was hotter than hell. I lost a ton of weight & most of my sanity, Didn't last a year as I got married & moved 150 miles away wit the wife to current job.

Moved house & got job as line manager at Hitchens Foods on the fruit & sweetcorn line. I was the lowest job you could think of. Was there only 13 weeks as Jane's cousin got me current job. Had a team of 16 people who were not english!!! took me 6 weeks to learn names, there skills, built a team, hit targets above 115% and we were good then they took it all apart (f**kers!!!) got really narked over that & after that I jut didn't give 2 s****!! only good bit was that the company supplied to ASDA, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc... with prepacked meals, veg, fruit & we got major staff discount, 5 items for £1!!!! so our weekly food shopping bill wasn't £75 a week, but only £15-20!! was glad to leave, as on my last day they wanted me to work nightshift for 1 day!! I never turned in!!
  • I am currently a Physical Plant supervisor and New campus construction coordinator/supervisor/man that the college pres get to vent at due to our 1.5 mill budget short fall that could be due to his and the college board taking 5% raises each year over the past 4 years.

Still have the farm.

and part time American footy hooligan....lol (Portland Timbers)
  • Hey there guys, haven't been on for a verrrrrrry long time despite a brief appearance in 2007. Hope everyone is well :)

Jeez haven't seen Lu or Madhtr since early 2000 (I think). Anyway I work in the public service providing the same service as Zelma and Patty in the Simpsons (cept more pleasant lol). Basically process peoples drivers licences and car regos. Nothing too exciting but pays the mortgage ;)

I'll have too keep in touch more, and I won't whine on about how I think Vagrant Story is better than the FFantasy series like I used too :D

Ooh BTW .... has anyone heard anything recent from Steve or Punkbuddy
  • I'm a self employed window cleaner,not the best job in the world but if i can get some good weather i can get some good money,its the best job I've had probably because i work for myself but after the other jobs I've had nothing really beats this,lets just say it has its up and downs.;)
  • Digger said:
    Ooh BTW .... has anyone heard anything recent from Steve or Punkbuddy

I wish....it sure would be nice to see more of the "old guard" revisit the site eh?
  • Currently working as a graphic designer, looking for a new job though.
  • bakerjosh10429 said:
    Currently working as a graphic designer, looking for a new job though.

Oh yeah...new profession or just a new job?
  • Worked as a dish washer in a restaurant when i was at sixth form getting my A levels.

Left with 3 A levels and couldn't get a job. As i got on so well with the head chef at the restaurant he took me on full time, by this time i had learned how to prepare all the salads, vegetables and starters.

After a few more months of "on the job training" i ran the kitchen for 2 weeks while the chef went on holiday. On the first Saturday i completed 146 covers, its still one of the proudest moments of my life.

Have you ever watched HELL'S KITCHEN!!!!!!

I loved that job, BUT as i had no formal catering qualifications, i earned around £1 per hour, i worked an average of 70 hrs per week for £70 basic, (tips of £10-£20 on top).

I then got a job (via my uncle) with the GOVERNMENT!!!

It was a slow time and i joined in 1990, the Thatcher years. It took me 8 years to get a promotion!!!!!!!! I have moved up the ladder steadily since then.

I am now a manager, training staff, managing various IT equipment, and setting up new spreadsheets, databases etc. Sounds boring, but the people i work with make it a lot of fun.

Who know what tomorrow, will bring.