• So I'm sure most of you Batman fans have heard the raging gossip about the New Joker and what he is about to look like in the new Batman movie coming out.

I saw a picture of just his face a few months ago and was a little horrified and disgusted at the same time, but I figured the joker would look better than that. So I waited and now I have seen the newest released picture of the Joker. What do you all think? Does it work?

Personally, I say no but that's because I'm old fashioned. I like Jack Nicholson's Joker outfit better than this because Nicholson's outfit was just plain scary!

• I suppose we should give him a break and see how it goes. I really hope they sort out the costume, tweak it a bit and stuff and the make-up and whatnot.

Also hope they have his sort of love interest Harley Quin did you say she's called, Mel? Well whatever her name is, I hope she's in it as well alongside Her Man the Joker :D
  • Her name is Harley Quinn, actually- she was the Joker's psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum before going a bit nutso herself.

Hard to say what to think of the new look. On the one hand these movies are a re-imagining of the Batman character so i expect some things to not follow quite as close to the comics/ cartoons. Then again, Joker has always had a certain look that distinguished him, from the purple suit to the green hair, and this just doesn't look as it should. I'll wait for them to show a bit of the actor in action as Joker before I make any sort of final judgement.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    I'll wait for them to show a bit of the actor in action as Joker before I make any sort of final judgement.

I agree with Lyndon. Its hard to judge actors on looks only (unless they are girls, lol :rolleyes: ).

This new actor does have his work cut out for him though. Falling in Jack Nicholson's foot steps will be a difficult task.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Then again, Joker has always had a certain look that distinguished him, from the purple suit to the green hair, and this just doesn't look as it should. I'll wait for them to show a bit of the actor in action as Joker before I make any sort of final judgement.

My thoughts exactly Lyndon. I'm a bit more creeped out over the big purple suit and green hair and always smiling face that scared me when I was little.

I don't think acting as a bad boy is necessarily something new to Heath Ledger though. He played the bad boy in 10 Things I Hate About You, but he seemed a little more careless than insane.

I'm sure Ledger will be able to pull the acting off, but I hope he's able to also get his makeup artists to do a better job for what they're getting paid for. Never in my life have I known the joker to have tan skin beneath the white...perhaps the other way around, but not the way it's portrayed here.:)
  • Wow, I didn't even realize that was Heath Ledger, lol. Now I can see it in his face. I wondered who it was.

I don't think Heath has the voice to be the Joker.
  • Do you think that Mark Hamill (yes, luke skywalker) would have the voice of Joker?
  • No voiceovers/ dubs here, Kevin- it'll be all Heath Ledger.
  • Mike C STAFF said:
    I don't think Heath has the voice to be the Joker.

Yeah, Ledger's voice seems a little too suave to work for the Joker. I hope Harvey Dent's voice is good at least. You think they'll double team Dent and the Joker against Batman?

If that's the case I might have to take my boy to see it with me because Two-Face scared the heebee jeebees outta me when I was little.:eek:
  • Being the Grand Jester I feel obligated to respond to this. Also, having "the Joker" tattooed on my back sort of makes me the official expert on this subject.

Without getting too deep into the original and the modern origin of the joker I have to say the I've always liked the more pragmatic mass murderer over the comic character and it seems as the new style of batman movies started with "...begins" along with that picture will deliver something I will indeed enjoy.
  • Magnus A STAFF said:
    Being the Grand Jester I feel obligated to respond to this. Also, having "the Joker" tattooed on my back sort of makes me the official expert on this subject.

Without getting too deep into the original and the modern origin of the joker I have to say the I've always liked the more pragmatic mass murderer over the comic character and it seems as the new style of batman movies started with "...begins" along with that picture will deliver something I will indeed enjoy.

See the thing is though Magnus, I don't mind the whole pragmatic mass murderer type Joker, because that's who he was to begin with, but the fact that he turned into a Joker and still carried out his murderers made him far more creepy. It's really hard to explain, but I suppose it's just reflecting back on why everyone is scared of clowns.
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    Yeah, Ledger's voice seems a little too suave to work for the Joker.

If you had not heard his voice before this and didnt know what type of roles he normally plays, would you still think the same? Personally, I like clowns......scary ones. Ones that grab your ankles from under the bed when you step off of it. hehehehehe Why? lol....I dunno. I still think that Jack Nicholson has yet to be topped.
  • NecroshineX said:
    If you had not heard his voice before this and didnt know what type of roles he normally plays, would you still think the same? Personally, I like clowns......scary ones. Ones that grab your ankles from under the bed when you step off of it. hehehehehe Why? lol....I dunno. I still think that Jack Nicholson has yet to be topped.

Believe it or not, the only movie I've seen with Ledger all the way through was 10 Things I Hate About You. I do know the types of roles I've seen him play have usually been playing strange guys (Casanova and 10 Things) I imagine a suave voice from Ledger would come in handy when it comes to him and Harley Quinn, but as far as the regular old creepy joker that Jack Nicholson portrayed, Ledger has his work cut out for him.

I don't know, now that I think about it, it doesn't seem like Ledger's voice would be all THAT bad. I could see him actually being able to appear sane in Ankram Asylum with that voice he has. The only thing that would worry me about his voice would be his laugh.
  • I think he did horrible giving a try at a "country" voice in Brokeback Mountain. (yes, I saw it) Thats why they didnt give him alot of dialog in that movie.
  • You know, I just watched the teaser trailer for the Dark Knight in which you hear the Joker's voice and laughter and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Ledger. Even though I voted for Jack Nicholson I think that Ledger's kind of warming up on me.
  • Heh. I bet all of you all shut your mouths now huh?
  • Haha, yeah i'd say they definitely did :laugh: !
  • come on ledger's joker was awesome, i actually have all the jokers in movies, ceaser romero, the 60's joker, the batman 1980's movie with nicholson, mark hamil (the guy that played luke skywalker) in the FIRST BATMAN ANIMATED SERIES, and heath ledger in the dark knight. i personally think mark hamil was the best joker!

the jokers in order from 60's-2008

ceaser romero http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_833r8w3dH6g/SH5S8FWBq_I/AAAAAAAAA58/2UFbV6KtP-Q/s400/Caesar%2BRomero.jpg

jack nicholson image

mark hamil image

heath ledger image
  • michael lee finnie said:
    i personally think mark hamil was the best joker!

I think Mark Hamil's Joker was good.

And now that I've seen the Dark Knight, I think Ledger's Joker can't really be compared to anyone else's.

For that matter, none of the Jokers can really be compared to each other because they're all different "takes" on that character.
  • Melinda S STAFF said:
    For that matter, none of the Jokers can really be compared to each other because they're all different "takes" on that character.

Actually, I have to disagree with you on this. The Joker is basically an eccentric, homicidal maniac who kills with no remorse. Now, there is no other or way to convey that. It’s either the Joker – or just some clown.

Heath Ledger pulled off the Joker to a tee. His performance was charismatic mixed with madness. A believable criminal mastermind that really stole the limelight from the caped crusader.

Now the rest of these jokers are just clowns in comparison to Ledger’s performance to be honest. Oh, and VA’s don’t count. Mainly because there’s more to the Joker than just the voice. (imo – Ledger wins in that category as well)
  • I dunno...although Keith Ledger did a good job, and portrayed The Joker closer to how he was in the comic books, I still prefer the joker that Jack Nicholson delivered to us.

I honestly think that a lot of the hype behind the current portrayal of The Joker by Ledger was due, in part, to his early death.
  • Wasn't his death partly caused by the roll becaused it was so disturbing?
  • General Red said:
    Wasn't his death partly caused by the roll becaused it was so disturbing?

Uh no....his death was because he was a drug addict. They can call it "accidental"...but his toxicology came back with the following in his system:

oxycodone
    hydrocodone
    diazepam
    temazepam
    alprazolam
    doxylamine

THAT is scarier than the role he played!!
  • Lucifer said:
    I honestly think that a lot of the hype behind the current portrayal of The Joker by Ledger was due, in part, to his early death.

It is unfortunate that marketing took advantage of Ledgers death to promote this movie with over hypeness.
    However, hype or no - Ledgers performance was above everyones (well, most) expectations, silencing critics (well, most) everywhere.

Also, him being a drug addict is just speculation. If those found in his blood stream were confirmed, that still doesn't mean he was a drug addict. People will have there opinions, and that's all it really is. Hell, I could say he was doped up against his will... but, that those stories are old.

R.I.P - Heath

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion