Psn Network-ip Address Timed Out
  • Hi how are you?

It has been a while since I came on here with an issue, but sadly it has brought me back!:( here is the problem:

My internet works fine, I also have a xbox360 and a Wii, and they go online no problem..but my ps3 wont!

i click on sign in and after a minute later i get
    "The attempt to obtain the IP address timed out. The WEP key you entered may not be correct."

I checked in the router settings and my WEP key is normal and IS the one that I put it, it has been the same for a few years.

Internet Connection Enabled
    Connection Method Wireless
    Signal Strength 90%
    SSID (my network shows up)
    BSSID looks normal I guess..hasn't changed in forever
    Channel 6
    Security WEP
    WEP Key ********
    Address Settings Automatic
    IP Address 169.254. bla bla..and in brackets it says (Private Networks Only) <----never seen that before..shouldn't it be the 192.168 etc??<br />Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    Default Router, Primary and Secondary DNS - AUTOMATIC
    Proxy Do not Use
    UPnP Enabled
    NAT Type - (has a dash)

Please help! Thanks to one and all:D
  • Considering your router gives addresses like that, yes it should read 192.168.yadda.yadda. Go into your router's settings and you should be able to set a specific IP address for the PS3 in the area for reserving addresses (sometimes found in the DHCP server section). You'll most likely need your PS3's MAC Address for this (which you'll find in the Settings menu, down to System Settings and select System Information). Once you have this set edit your PS3's connection and add that address in.
  • Yeah I called Linksys right now and modified a few settings, unchecked something under SECURITY tab called "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests" and changed some other number from 1500 to 1364. I have a Linksys WRT54GR...don't really see a DHCP section. It's just weird...under my router STATUS bar it has the info about it there..and the ip internet address is:
    72.12.yaddi yadda...but isn't it supposed to be the 192.168 blabla ?
    I'm so lost right now Lyndon! Funny thing is, that when I got off the phone with Linksys (after tweaking a few things) i clicked on the Uncharted 2 beta and it worked for online..then i backed out to the xmb to do a connection test and it said "OBTAIN IP ADDRESS : FAILED" so that is a bit odd! she was telling me on the phone that the router settings are totally fine now, it's a playstation issue and told me to put it manually the IP adress, the Subnet mask and the Default Gateway. So i'm thinking which IP should i put? if i put the 192.168 blabla number it wont be the same because the router one says the 72.12. . . . number!! ughh! and then the subnet mask is always the same which is the 255.blabla...and when i put those 2 in..the next 3 have to be filled in too and i have no idea what they are!
  • Go to the Status tab in your router settings to see the DNS Server addresses you need.

The DHCP is on the first tab you come to (Set Up, basic set up). make sure this is Enabled. Click on the Static DHCP button to bring up the client list. Type in the first blank the numbers to use at the end of the PS3's IP address, enter the MAC Address in the next and check the box to enable this line. Then hit the Close button to save the changes.
  • Alright i'm in there, lost me there for a bit!
    I brought up the client list, now what do you mean by "type in the first blank the numbers to use AT THE END OF THE PS3's IP ADDRESS" ?

In the client list I have one checked off, here is the layout

Assign this IP To this MAC Enabled

192.168.1.120 00:15:C1 etcc checked (enabled)

then there is like 9 more of the same stuff except it is all blank! only the first one is checked off!! now i tried going onto the xbox360 and i can't, it gave me a message saying the router may be giving up ip address or something?
    And which MAC address am I supposed to enter in there? there is one there already, is there a specific ps3 mac address or something? because the xbox360 has its own MAC address

But yea, do I have to go to the PS3 settings and put some stuff in there?
    Easy,Custom? and the rest of steps..?

thanks
  • UPDATE! I put manual IP address in the PS3 network settins and the subnet mask and Primary

So this time around when I connect,

Connection test completed.

Obtain IP Address Succeeded (YAY)
    Internet connection FAILED :(

Then on the bottom it says
    "An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error.(80710102)
  • Settings and Connection Status List

Security - WEP
    WEP key - ********
    Address Settings - Manual
    IP Address 72.12. bla.bla.bla
    Subnet mask - 255.255.224.0
    Default Router - 0.0.0.0
    Primary DNS - 24.215.0.bla
    Secondary DNS - 0.0.0.0
    MAC Address - 00:1D:0D blabla
    MTU - 1364
    Proxy Server - Do not Use
    UPnP - Not available
    NAT Type - Failed
  • I explained in my first post where to find the PS3's MAC Address on the PS3. If that one doesn't match the one you see in the list already use the second line to add the PS3 in (each line in the list is for each device you want to reserve an address for).

Look at the first line where you have the setting made already in the client list- where the 120 is is what I meant by the last numbers of the IP address as the router takes care of the rest. Then put the MAC Address in the middle column and check the box to the right of that.

As I mentioned earlier, go to the Status tab of the router to find the DNS Server addresses (likely called DNS 1 and DNS 2 in there). I would also add in the IP address of the router to your PS3 settings (that's the address you type in to get to them).
  • So confusing Lyndon :(
    I am at the status tab, and it DOES have a DNS1 number but there is no DNS 2! As for the IP address of the router, I put that in right now (the 192.168 etc number) I found the MAC address under the system settings for my ps3. Now under the STATIC DHCP button, i see the little list and there is only 1 enabled.

first one... the ip address of the router is in with the last 3 numbers being .120, and a mac address (that doesn`t match the ps3) and it is enabled!

the second line has nothing, so in the middle i typed the ps3 mac address and clicked enable...but for the ip address part, do i leave the .120 on that one too, or do i have to change it to maybe .121?
  • also under MAC address clone (under setup) is that supposed to be enabled or disabled? ugh i really want this to work:(
  • Make the address you put with the PS3's MAC Address different from the first line otherwise you will have a conflict and nothing will go online. Leave the MAC Address Clone alone, you don't need to touch it.

If there is just the one DNS address then go with it. The only other thing I can suggest to do is the port forwarding, we have the ports listed in the pinned thread at the top of this section.
  • «I know i just wanted to know if the mac clone should be on or off!
    And as for port forwarding, I have a bunch of them in there from a long time ago that you gave me. Under port range forwarding:

I have overall 8 rows filled in with each row being named PLAYSTATION NETWORK. First is:

Start-End Port Protocol To IP Address Enabled
    80-80 TCP 192.168.1.120 YES
    443-443 TCP same YES
    5223-5223 TCP same YES
    10070-10080 TCP same YES
    3478-3478 UDP same YES
    3479-3479 UDP same YES
    3658-3658 UDP same YES
    10070-10070 UDP same YES

what should i do?
  • Looks like the IP address you found in your client list was for the PS3 but you may have had a different MAC Address in there. Just change the ip address those ports are set for to the new address you made for the PS3 and save the settings. After that have another go with playing online. You may also need to give the router a quick reboot .
  • in my client list i have 2 now! the second one being the ps3 one that you told me to create with the ps3 mac address. Umm, in that second one, I changed the .125 to .122. and in the ps3 connection settings i put that whole address under the Default router! heres how it looks on the ps3 connection setting where i input the information

IP Address 72.12.bla. bla
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Router 192.168.1.122 (same as the client list one...second row)
    Primary DNS 24.215.0. bla
    Secondary DNS (dont have one)

i click next...mtu auto, proxy no, upnp yes and do the connection and still the same! Obtain IP address - Successful. Internet connection - FAILED

on the bottom it still says that error communication with the server and `this is a dns error`

Am i putting in the wrong ip address? there is like 3 or 4 of them!
    One is the 192.168.1.1 then there is the Default gateway one which is the 72.12. blabla number, then a Internet IP Address which is another 72.12.blabla number with the ending being different!
  • The 192.168.1.1 goes in the default router blank and IP address should be the address you set up for the PS3 in your router (192.168.1.122).
  • nope didn't work:(
  • Hard to say what else to do without being able to get hands-on with it- have you given the router a power cycle after doing all of the changes?
  • yes i did Lyndon!
    i just think something is typed in where it shouldn't be or something!!
    if you can get a list and picture of my router settings with stuff filled in where its supposed to be, and the PS3 network settings too! that would be greatly appreaciated! also, if you want me to take a few print screen shots and send it to you on msn somehow let me know
  • At this point all I can suggest is contact your ISP in regards to the DNS Server addresses. It is looking like everything is in the proper place that you list up above.
  • Ok Lyndon

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really appreaciate it! Sorry to have bothered you with all this stupidity!! I'll let you know if there is anything new or whether it's fixed and maybe provide the solution so others can use it etc

thanks
  • Lyndon,

I have resolved this stupid issue finally! I spoke with Sony and was able to get it running...easier than peanuts! Save this message in case other people are having issues. Whether the IP Address timed out, or the Playstation Network timed out, all you have to do is go under System Settings and click on "Restore Default Settings" and you will go through a reboot and it will ask you to set up a connection once again. Click on "Easy", "Scan", select your Network, type in the WEP/WPA key and click next. Test connection and you're good to go!

Thanks again for your help, and hopefully this will help other individuals as well!:cool: :D :p ;)
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Considering your router gives addresses like that, yes it should read 192.168.yadda.yadda. Go into your router's settings and you should be able to set a specific IP address for the PS3 in the area for reserving addresses (sometimes found in the DHCP server section). You'll most likely need your PS3's MAC Address for this (which you'll find in the Settings menu, down to System Settings and select System Information). Once you have this set edit your PS3's connection and add that address in.

I tried this but it doesn't work, all there is is a connection wizard (tried it and it didn't work) and a thing to set up a firewall. Please help:(
  • Solid_Snake said:
    Lyndon,

I have resolved this stupid issue finally! I spoke with Sony and was able to get it running...easier than peanuts! Save this message in case other people are having issues. Whether the IP Address timed out, or the Playstation Network timed out, all you have to do is go under System Settings and click on "Restore Default Settings" and you will go through a reboot and it will ask you to set up a connection once again. Click on "Easy", "Scan", select your Network, type in the WEP/WPA key and click next. Test connection and you're good to go!

Thanks again for your help, and hopefully this will help other individuals as well!:cool: :D :p ;)

I also tried this, it just said the same thing, The attempt to obtain the IP address timed out. my playstation is really annoying me now because I've been trying for ages. Please someone help.